I have not agreed to any deal with Vodacom – Please Call Me “inventor”

cpu.

Expert Member
I wonder how much Vodacom has spent on legal fees and how much of a knock on it's brand it has taken due to bad publicity.

They should have just paid him off years ago. Surely it would have been cheaper.
I don't think negatively of Vodacom because of this. I would think that most people don't care...

Nick333

Honorary Master
I wonder how much Vodacom has spent on legal fees and how much of a knock on it's brand it has taken due to bad publicity.

They should have just paid him off years ago. Surely it would have been cheaper.
It's probably more about not wanting to set a precedent by paying him anything than anything else. I would imagine these days everyone involved in product development is subject to very carefully worded employment contracts, which is why they're willing to settle now.

Swa

Honorary Master
Vodacom probably decided what they think he should be paid.

He stole the idea from MTN.
Why should he even get anything at all.
Plus when you work at a company all inventions etc belong to said company.
Why is MTN not saying any thing about this.?
Actually that's only if it falls within his job description and on company time. This has been established in the court case. The concept has been around internationally for decades so neither he nor MTN came up with it but that's really besides the point. The agreement was that he'll be compensated for it. Vodacom can argue among themselves whether the person was authorised or not but from his perspective the transaction was valid. If it wasn't then Vodacom shouldn't have implemented the idea. The only question is how much it's worth. Personally I don't believe they made billions from it either in ad revenue or in calls that would otherwise not be returned.

DXL

Expert Member

Yes thats correct. What i found is that there are not many smart people around. People think they can win and continue to fight losing battles in the process they lose a hell of lot more. In most instances its the legal guys ill advising their clients they can win when they got no chance at all just so they can get paid as Vodacom lawyers did.

DXL

Expert Member
He only wants 15c for each R1 they made
So lets say if Vodacom offered him R1 Billion in compensation as full and final reasonable settlement then the constitutional court may likely to Favour Vodacom. Which is roughly 8c rather than the 15c.

C4Cat

Executive Member
The concept has been around internationally for decades so neither he nor MTN came up with it but that's really besides the point.
Any source for this assertion? I'm under the impression it was invented here in SA and can't find any reference to it being used internationally prior to it's implementation here.

KT-B

Honorary Master
So lets say if Vodacom offered him R1 Billion in compensation as full and final reasonable settlement then the constitutional court may likely to Favour Vodacom. Which is roughly 8c rather than the 15c.
I remember reading he would be happy with 10 Billion - but I could be wrong - but they only offered a 10 million

Makate previously stated that Vodacom must pay him 15c of every rand of revenue that the Please Call Me generated, which could exceed R10 billion.

Vodacom reportedly offered Makate R10 million in 2018, which he refused.
He would be wise to take the 1 Billion if they offered it

Last edited:

3WA

Expert Member
Isn't this guy so caught up in contracts with his various legal teams that even if he gets paid it's all going to be subject to ongoing lawsuits? If I recall correctly, the claims of the various legal teams amount to close to or more than 100% of the payout.

KT-B

Honorary Master
Isn't this guy so caught up in contracts with his various legal teams that even if he gets paid it's all going to be subject to ongoing lawsuits? If I recall correctly, the claims of the various legal teams amount to close to or more than 100% of the payout.
Ouch - that is just silly then

They tried a few times. One of Makate's many bad decisions was to ask for WAY too much - that made it worth Vodacom dragging on this case forever. If he'd asked for a reasonable amount they'd have done a "pay now" vs "what will this cost us in legal fees" calculation... but because Makate effectively took the "pay now" option off the table, Vodacom were always going to fight this for as long as it took.

Vodacom has issued a full statement on the matter between it and Please Call Me “inventor” Kenneth Makate.
Sounds like his lawyers accepted the offer. This guy must stfu and go away now. He made bad decisions, screwed himself over, then chose bad allies, and they've screwed him over. He learned a major life lesson. Move on, dude.

3WA

Expert Member
Sounds like his lawyers accepted the offer. This guy must stfu and go away now. He made bad decisions, screwed himself over, then chose bad allies, and they've screwed him over. He learned a major life lesson. Move on, dude.
He could be making enough for a new car or a deposit on a new house - I wish I had life lessons like that. My life lessons gave me STDs.

https://www.itweb.co.za/content/8RgeVDqP1pRvKJN3

This is what I was talking about. Anyone know the outcome of Raining Men's case?
Seems almost as long as the main case, and still ongoing, arbitrator to decide: https://www.fin24.com/Companies/ICT/please-call-me-talks-deadlock-amid-funding-battles-20180914

When it became apparent that Makate could well succeed in the matter, Schoeman declared a dispute for arbitration.

After a series of legal twists and turns, Judge Neil Tuchten at the end of August dismissed an application by Schoeman to substitute the arbitration with legal action. He ruled that an arbitrator must still determine the outcome of the dispute.