I killed in self-defence, says Forest High pupil accused of murder

schumi

Honorary Master
The 20-year-old pupil accused of stabbing his schoolmate to death has told the Johannesburg magistrate's court that he acted in self-defence.

Mohamed Mwela, a Forest High School pupil who allegedly stabbed and killed Daniel Bakwela, 16, and injured two other pupils, appeared in the Johannesburg magistrate's court yesterday.

Mwela told the court during his bail application that he intended to plead not guilty on charges of murder and two counts of attempted murder.

Mwela, a grade 11 pupil, speaking through his lawyer Mudi Mavhengeni, said he was alone and under attack when he stabbed Bakwela on Monday.
"I had come under physical attack by the members of Stouter Kinders gang as they are called. The deceased dropped the knife that he had in his hand after I had hit him with a stone.
"I then picked up the said knife as I was surrounded by the members of the above-mentioned gang and stabbed one of these gang members as I tried to make a way so that I can run for my life," Mwela said in an affidavit read to court.

More at:
https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/...nce-says-forest-high-pupil-accused-of-murder/

schumi

Honorary Master
Anger as tearful Forest High School stabbing suspect granted R5,000 bail
He must move away from home and leave Turffontein suburb

The pupil who allegedly killed grade 8 pupil Daniel Bakwela and injured two others outside Forest High School in Turffontein, Johannesburg, is set to be released after a week in police custody.The Johannesburg Magistrate's Court agreed to bail of R5,000 on Monday.
Dressed in a branded jacket, faded pants and navy comfy boots, Mohammed Moela looked down, with tears running down his face.
The grade 11 pupil, aged 20, told the court at a previous appearance that he was acting in self-defence after a gang-related altercation. Moela's written affidavit, which was read by his attorney Mudi Mavhengani, said he had been attacked by alleged "Stoutkinders" gang members, popularly known as the STKs.
Magistrate Basimame Molwana said on Monday the interests of justice permitted that Moela be granted bail.
"Bail is, however, granted at R5,000 not at R500 as previously asked."The defence attorney had confirmed he was hired by the family and was not working pro bono (for free).
"The accused had a right to apply for Legal Aid but he elected to appoint a private attorney ... That places the family in a position to pay the R5,000 bail," the magistrate said.
More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...chool-stabbing-suspect-granted-bail-of-r5000/

schumi

Honorary Master
Stabbed Forest High pupil was facing armed robbery charge: NPA

Daniel Bakwela, the 18-year-old Forest High pupil who was stabbed to death last week, was facing an armed robbery charge.
The National Prosecuting Authority made the shock revelation on Monday, the same day Bakwela's alleged killer, Mohammed Moela, was granted R5,000 bail in the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court.
The decision to grant bail was met with anger from Bakwela's family and the Turffontein community, which had previously slammed the NPA for its decision not to oppose bail.
However, the NPA's Phindi Mjonondwane revealed that Bakwela and one of the other pupils wounded in the incident last week had, in fact, previously had their own run-ins with the law.
"The deceased and one of his friends who was stabbed in this case are actually facing criminal charges in this same court. They were supposed to appear in August. Deciding whether or not bail should be opposed, the state had to consider a whole lot of facts. The decision was purely based on facts at hand," said Mjonondwane.
More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...gh-pupil-was-facing-armed-robbery-charge-npa/

Emjay

Executive Member
16 in Grade 8 and part of a gang? (The media must have gotten this wrong). I was 12 when I hit Grade 8. Trying to imagine what would happen if a pre-puberty kid had to sit in the same class with gangsters.

That area around the south of Johannesburg has deteriorated so badly since I was a kid, it's scary. It used to be a middle class area, and those schools were not bad. Forest High used to have a decent rugby team. It now looks like gangland, and I would not walk on those streets even during the day. It's crazy to think that these kids are exposed to this level of violence in their own schools.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
On the radio news they said something about the "victim" actually being out on bail for armed robbery. Any more info on that?

STS

Mafia Detective
20 years old. Grade 11.
Stupid or idiot?
Would people prefer them to stay uneducated? This is the whole concept of white privilege, if someone is 20 in grade 11 it is their fault and they should be ashamed of themselves, it has nothing to do with residence, access to education, good role models, finance, etc

Daruk

Honorary Master
Start late, fail two years. Had a friend in high school who was the same, definitely not an idiot, just wasn't cut out for school.
Same, in fact he was super intelligent, just not a scholar. Excellent with people and doing very well for himself today.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Would people prefer them to stay uneducated? This is the whole concept of white privilege, if someone is 20 in grade 11 it is their fault and they should be ashamed of themselves, it has nothing to do with residence, access to education, good role models, finance, etc
Not sure what so-called white privilege has to do with that? Plenty white people have none of that. Plenty black and white people have plenty of that yet are thugs in suits.

schumi

Honorary Master
Family of murdered Forest High pupil chants 'xenophobia' after suspect gets bail

JOHANNESBURG – The family of the slain grade eight Congolese pupil on Monday said the South African justice system was prejudicial and always favoured locals.
The family believes if their child had committed the alleged offence, he would not have been granted bail.
Nineteen-year-old Mohamed Mwela was released on a R5,000 bail on Monday in the Johannesburg Magistrates Court.
He is facing charges of murder and attempted murder after he allegedly stabbed three of his school mates in a fight last week.
More at: https://ewn.co.za/2019/06/11/family...gh-pupil-chants-xenophobia-after-bail-granted

schumi

Honorary Master
Memorial service to be held for murdered Forest High pupil

JOHANNESBURG – A memorial service of a grade eight pupil who was stabbed to death at the Forest High School in Turrfontein last week will be held on Tuesday.
This comes a day after the Johannesburg Magistrates Court granted the accused bail of R5,000.
Nineteen-year-old Mohamed Mwela is accused of stabbing three boys outside Forest High last week in an alleged school gang fight.
Mwela said he was acting in self-defence.
More at: https://ewn.co.za/2019/06/11/memorial-service-to-be-held-for-murdered-forest-high-pupil