I love my virgin money card, but would like to change.. any suggestions?

thegreatfuzz

My Virgin Credit Card is great as far as free transactions, no monthly fees and low interest rates go but I personally cant handle the fact that I don't receive SMS notifications on my transactions, also there are no real reward programs. I use my credit card for everything and pretty much pump my whole salary into it every month and use it for everything. Is there anything else out there that is better?

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
You got the cheapest card by far,so I guess it depends on what you use it for to determine if you need to swap. Do you actually have debt on it or just using it as a transactional card?

RichardG

Honorary Master
If you looking to receive an sms - you can activate it - I went into an ABSA branch but you've to be an ABSA client for them to enable such service or alternatively go to FNB and link all your credit cards to eBucks or go with Clicks Credit Card and receive vouchers to shop at their stores. I receive R600+ sometimes but that is cos i max my credit card every month and pay it in full.. A pity that bank charges aren't covered for full payment which is ridiculous - cash handing fee :(

thegreatfuzz

I pay my debt off every month so no i don't really have debt. I use it as my transactional card. I qualify for all the banks "platinum" type cards (standard/absa/fnb/nedbank) but i don't really see the benefit since you will be paying a lot more just for ... status?

thegreatfuzz

If you looking to receive an sms - you can activate it - I went into an ABSA branch but you've to be an ABSA client for them to enable such service

I am an absa client, are you certain? I know they have it on the absa credit cards but Virgin just says there is no way.

Budza

Executive Member
Fees>Rewards, for most of these. You need to put in too much effort to make it all worth while.

I use Capitec (6% paid on positive balance) and VM Credit Card as transactional card, which I pay off each month. CC costs nothing, and I earn cash on Capitec. Got an SMS- ~R360 this year already. I'm reckon that's better than other rewards/benefits etc. To get your moneys worth with those takes too much effort...

Species8472

You can look at the Capitec card, it has a very nice (and free) internet banking portal, plus you receive SMS notifications.

I have been banking with ABSA for yonks, since I was in school in fact, yet when I applied for a student loan for my Wife they gave me the finger. Also when I wanted to buy my first house they told me to #$% myself, so I realized these fracking banks don't care about long term customers any more. (In both cases other banks were more than happy to help me out, thanks ABSA)

So, I have been changing over to Capitec because it is a hell of a lot cheaper in banking fees, and I opened a VM credit card for online use. I use my Capitec as my main transaction account, and move enough money over to the CC to stay in the black every month. An absolutely brilliant combo :D

etwylite

Your Vm rewards are the low fees you pay.

The only rewards system worth anything is Ebucks and then only if you link a number of earning accounts.

End of the day you cant have your cake and eat it.

burn

Expert Member
I operate exactly like Budza.

With the money I am saving with my Capitec savings account and Virgin Money card, I do not feel cheated by not receiving "benefits". But I do get extraordinary satisfaction from not being screwed by my banks.

Species8472

I operate exactly like Budza.

With the money I am saving with my Capitec savings account and Virgin Money card, I do not feel cheated by not receiving "benefits". But I do get extraordinary satisfaction from not being screwed by my banks.

Exactly my opinion too. People go on about how many eBucks or rewards they made, but they end up paying a ton in bank fees :D

Another thing I like about Capitec is that every single line on your statement that had a banking cost is followed by a line stating that cost. None of this arb admin fees that you get at the end of the month, and if you query it the bank cannot tell you what it was for :/

burn

Expert Member
My only regret about my VM card is that I wasn't paying attention when choosing the design and I got sent the one saying "BLING" in diamonds. Not classy :p

thegreatfuzz

My only regret about my VM card is that I wasn't paying attention when choosing the design and I got sent the one saying "BLING" in diamonds. Not classy :p

Yeah i made the same mistake :/ So the consensus is that VM is a winner, just a damn pity about the sms notifications

dakeyras

I have never really considered Capitec as a banking option. Thanks for the idea, will certainly look into :D

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
I pay my debt off every month so no i don't really have debt. I use it as my transactional card. I qualify for all the banks "platinum" type cards (standard/absa/fnb/nedbank) but i don't really see the benefit since you will be paying a lot more just for ... status?

Lol. The higher the status the more benefits. If you earn 400k plus and run around with a blue card, it's your own loss.

noxibox

Honorary Master
There are some additional benefits, so you have to determine whether they're of value to you because Platinum cards do usually cost a lot more. The status aspect has no value as far as I'm concerned. I think it's stupid to pay more for a credit card than necessary.

Billy

Expert Member
So according to some posters EBucks are not worth the bank charges.

Guys listen to the FNB ads. Check what you can get, even Steve is beginning to be convinced!

I am with FNB after 30 years with Standard. Best move I made.

Which other bank will give me:

ZERO bank charges, except for Annual EBucks fee and Annual Credit Card fee.

1% in EBucks for credit card use. Paid for my Proliant Micro Server, saving for another in three months.

15% back in EBucks on all fuel purchases.

Extra EBucks on purchases from Makro, Dischem and HiFi + others.

Ability to track my wife with SMS reports on purchases (Unfortunately not always real time when other banks systems are involved.)

Free GB of ADSL data per month, which I pass it on to my daughter.

If I needed an IPad I would certainly use FNB'S offers, where can they be beaten.

As an overall package FNB cannot be beaten.

And NO I have no connection other than being a VERY happy customer.