I need a dummies' guide to buy a TV

elisebredies

We are from Cape Town and are in the process of setting up a guesthouse in the south of France. I would ask locals there for advice, but my French doesn't go much beyond bonjour. So then, we need to buy three TV sets. What I know about TVs is there's a red button you press to put it on an off. We need a rather biggish TV for the main house lounge, and two smaller sets for two separate apartments. Question is: does a smart TV only allow browsing or can you also stream stuff on it? (That's about as technical as I can get, and I'm not even sure it's a real question – just overheard someone making the distinction). We will have wifi throughout the property but I don't want to assume that everyone travels with laptops to stream their own programmes or movies. We're not thinking of cable for now, so would prefer if the internet can supply the necessary entertainment (when people aren't out jolling, as they should be). We want good TVs but I don't want to sell a kidney to get them. Any simple answers out there?

Sumen

Expert Member
We are from Cape Town and are in the process of setting up a guesthouse in the south of France. I would ask locals there for advice, but my French doesn't go much beyond bonjour. So then, we need to buy three TV sets. What I know about TVs is there's a red button you press to put it on an off. We need a rather biggish TV for the main house lounge, and two smaller sets for two separate apartments. Question is: does a smart TV only allow browsing or can you also stream stuff on it? (That's about as technical as I can get, and I'm not even sure it's a real question – just overheard someone making the distinction). We will have wifi throughout the property but I don't want to assume that everyone travels with laptops to stream their own programmes or movies. We're not thinking of cable for now, so would prefer if the internet can supply the necessary entertainment (when people aren't out jolling, as they should be). We want good TVs but I don't want to sell a kidney to get them. Any simple answers out there?

What's the budget ?

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master

Get a smallish smart TV with Netflix or whatever flavour of streaming app,hook it up to your guest house wifi.