I need advice on which module to choose in Bsc Informatics as major

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
So the degree as a whole will be the main thing assisting with getting a job.
My take on those though, Advanced programming, very useful if you want to be a architect at some point in your career. Business management, probably useful if you want to go more business analyst/project management or tech lead track. Audit, I don't have an opinion of that.

randomcat

Expert Member

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Why do you feel it wouldn't be a good choice in South Africa?

Cause it doesn't advance your knowledge or burning things, looting public funds and further enabling corruption. Afterall, that's where the big bucks are.

randomcat

Expert Member
Cause it doesn't advance your knowledge or burning things, looting public funds and further enabling corruption. Afterall, that's where the big bucks are.
We are born with those qualifications. No need to study it. Pass rate of eleventy seven.

Source

Syzygy78

I completed COS3711 about 7 years ago. If it is similar to what it used to be, I would highly recommend it. There is, however, a large workload. I must have used +-200hrs of study time instead of the 120hrs of study time that they suggest.

Akasha

Executive Member
Which of these did you take?
1607352580531.png
They affect what you take in 3rd level
1607352626824.png

froot

Honorary Master
I love programming but I don't know if its the right path to choose in south africa. I registered a Bsc in Informatics at unisa. and the third year require you to choose 1 module between ;1.AUI3702 - The Internal Audit Process: Test of Controls, 2.COS3711 - Advanced Programming, 3. MNB3701 - Global Business Management IA. which one is relevant and will enable me to find a job
I took MNB3701. It has definitely proved to be useful in business.
I am a software developer but business-wise it certainly helps.

TStringList

I love programming but I don't know if its the right path to choose in south africa. I registered a Bsc in Informatics at unisa. and the third year require you to choose 1 module between ;1.AUI3702 - The Internal Audit Process: Test of Controls, 2.COS3711 - Advanced Programming, 3. MNB3701 - Global Business Management IA. which one is relevant and will enable me to find a job
AUI3702: Don't bother with this. You likely will never use it in your job as a traditional software developer. It's a whole bunch of theory that you'll fall asleep reading unless you have a passion for auditing.

COS3711: If you are already programming with ease and are confident in passing an advanced level module then put in the study time and do this.

MNB3701: This is the one I did. It's a fairly straight forward pass and gives you management level understanding. Useful if you are going to transition into a team lead/manager role, or just to understand that role better while being a developer. Was quite interesting.

Once working as a developer, you'll learn the advanced programming concepts better on the job. The degree is to get your foot into the job market.