I need help - Replacing TV with monitor advice

DarKWateR

Expert Member
Hey folks. So here's the situation. I have a 32" 1080p Samsung LED TV that I use as a PC monitor. I also use it for work, console gaming (Xbox One/PS Classic), movies, etc. It's pretty much my all in one screen. It has 4 hdmi ports, swivel, optical out, chroma 4:4:4 and basically no backlight bleed.

The TV is getting pretty old though and I would like to replace it with something newer and that's also a little easier on the eyes for work (not that the TV is bad). Problem is I can't find anything suitable. You see I actually use the swivel, optical out, multiple hdmi ports, etc.

I was thinking of getting a 27" monitor and then I'll have to add a HDMI switch with optical and a vesa stand to get back all the functionality of the TV.

I've been looking at the Samsung 27" C27F390 curved. However I've read reports of bad backlight bleed and that the VA panel does not compare well with IPS color wise. I've also been looking at the Dell 27" P2719H & SE2719H series.

I'm just not sure what the best option would be.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
Mini update. Was able to compare the TV directly with the Dell SE2719H and disappointingly the Dell looks worse. Display is a bit washed out compared to the TV. Xbox image also seems a bit softer.

No sure what the next step is. Maybe a Samsung monitor.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
I would just go for another TV, assuming you are relatively price sensitive.

Temujin

Honorary Master
Mini update. Was able to compare the TV directly with the Dell SE2719H and disappointingly the Dell looks worse. Display is a bit washed out compared to the TV. Xbox image also seems a bit softer.

No sure what the next step is. Maybe a Samsung monitor.
I had this problem with dell too a while back... solution is 'output dynamic range' setting, change it to 'full' to correct it... for whatever reason dell hdmi plug in doesn't switch it automatically. gotta do in manually /shrug

DarKWateR

Expert Member
I would just go for another TV, assuming you are relatively price sensitive.

If only. New 32" Full HD TV's aren't available anymore. Going bigger is too large for that resolution. Don't have money for a 4K setup. Also too big.

I had this problem with dell too a while back... solution is 'output dynamic range' setting, change it to 'full' to correct it... for whatever reason dell hdmi plug in doesn't switch it automatically. gotta do in manually /shrug

I did change the HDMI level to full in the graphics control panel which did make the colors pop a bit more but still not nearly as great as the TV. I think the high gloss screen coating on TV helps the imagine quite a bit compared to the matte display.

I'm currently looking at the Samsung S27F350. Not sure yet :/

Tovad

Hey folks. So here's the situation. I have a 32" 1080p Samsung LED TV that I use as a PC monitor. I also use it for work, console gaming (Xbox One/PS Classic), movies, etc. It's pretty much my all in one screen. It has 4 hdmi ports, swivel, optical out, chroma 4:4:4 and basically no backlight bleed.

The TV is getting pretty old though and I would like to replace it with something newer and that's also a little easier on the eyes for work (not that the TV is bad). Problem is I can't find anything suitable. You see I actually use the swivel, optical out, multiple hdmi ports, etc.

I was thinking of getting a 27" monitor and then I'll have to add a HDMI switch with optical and a vesa stand to get back all the functionality of the TV.

Was in the same position with a 2011 Sony LCD TV 32" that I used on my main PC - it had 22,000 hours on it.
Saw a Telefunken about 4 months ago 32" 1920x1080 at Game Menlyn for R3199 and decided I may just as well try it.

I also have the Dell 27" bought about a year ago.

Telefunken works fine (looks at least as good as the Dell), but I do not see it anymore at Game
The one link I had is this:
Telefunken TM-32N50 32 Inch LED Monitor

Note that I sit about 3 feet away from the monitor so it looks sharp...

DarKWateR

Expert Member
@Tovad - Nice that you were able to find a suitable replacement.
I was honestly so surprised when I compared the Dell monitor to the TV. I mean the TV is like a 2011 model. Also at 32 inches the PPI is less than the monitor since they're both 1080p, so you would expect the monitor to look sharper, especially the text.

Don't get me wrong, the monitor didn't look bad but there was definitely a lack of vibrancy and crispness in the image. I played with the settings as best I could but there weren't many options available. Also sucks that you can't adjust the backlight itself on the monitors.

Still, the telly is getting old so I need to make a plan.
I'm deciding between Samsung S27F350 and C27F390 but I'm leaning towards the F350 due to PLS panel. Although I don't know how much that actually matters since the Dell was IPS like the TV but still very different at the end of the day.