I need to monitor a work PC covertly!

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
I have a standalone PC I use for training purposes.

I put a worker in charge of the said PC to train her peers. I emphasized that this PC is not to be used for any other task except for training. The internet connection is to be used for this training.

I recently heard through the grapevine that the pc is now being abused.

Last night when the store closed, I turned the said PC on and went to the browsers history, only to find that the history for the past five months has been cleared, but the history for the day had not been. I photographed this for the future.

So the operator is clever enough to delete her tracks on most days, but from the one day that she had forgotten to delete, I could see that Facebook, youtube, dress making and fashion sites had been accessed for most of the time we thought she was training her peers.

I need to install some sort of software that can email me covertly each day with time spent on various sites, screengrabs etc so that i can build a case against the said employee.

Stealing time and abusing company property for personal use.

Back in the day when I was but a young person building his own towers I played with primitive versions of keyloggers..... Sigh! those were simpler times..... Anyhow...

Can somebody out there suggest software that I might be able to use in such a case?

I thank you......

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
I suggest you put a notice at the pc to inform users that the company reserves the right to monitor usage of work computers for work purposes. Then try again.

I already informed her about this when I installed the PC.......

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Setup a managed user and control it accordingly.

Another option would be to setup OpenDNS but it won't give you deeply granular monitoring and just broad strokes.

Glasswire might also do what you want.

https://www.glasswire.com/

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I already informed her about this when I installed the PC.......
You still need a sign that states this. How do you think it's going to play off in a CCMA case?
For all they know, you could've been going to those websites on your own to try and constructively dismiss her.

rietrot

Honorary Master
But why? The big question here is is she doing her job or not. If she doesn't train the people discipline her on not doing her job. If you think she has to much free time give her more work. But seriously who cares if she goes on Facebook and google dressmaking if she has some inbetween time and her work is fine.

PoppieChoffel

Expert Member
But why? The big question here is is she doing her job or not. If she doesn't train the people discipline her on not doing her job. If you think she has to much free time give her more work. But seriously who cares if she goes on Facebook and google dressmaking if she has some inbetween time and her work is fine.
100% this. I will never understand why bosses feel the need to clock-watch, monitor SM, personal phone calls, etc etc. Unless it is actively affecting somebody's work and their job isn't being done satisfactorily / on time, I just don't see the need for that level of policing. People should be treated like adults, not kindergarten children, unless they prove themselves unworthy of such treatment.

I know there are people who abuse these things to nth degree (I work with some of them...), but I'd like to think most of us are adult enough to only do things like browse the internet, forums (hahaha) etc when we are not doing so to the detriment of work waiting to be done. Those that cannot adhere to that, should be dealt with individually. You haven't mentioned the training suffering - if its has, then sure, by all means, put a stop to it. Surely you can block that PC from accessing sites not related to the training if that is the case?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I feel like the OP omitted various quotation marks in his original post

simm_card

Expert Member
Only thing that will definitively work - remove the PC.

Or load internet cafe software on it and start charging.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Just make sure you cover your tracks the legal route.
Ensure visible signs are in place.
Has she signed her contract stating what you have just said
etc etc I am no legal boff but i do know you need to go through the correct legal channels and not just install some spyware that might not be legal in the first place.
You get what i mean :) All the best and i hope it all works out for the best soon. Otherwise she isn't allowed to any braais !!!!! :ROFL:

gamer16

Honorary Master
I've always been suspicious of being monitored at work, I know IT monitors network throughput live.

MEIOT

Expert Member
I've always been suspicious of being monitored at work, I know IT monitors network throughput live.

IT monitors EVERYTHING:ROFL:
Especially with POPI and PCI - monitoring comes with the territory to ensure compliance along with many other potential reasons like risk mitigation etc.

gamer16

Honorary Master
IT monitors EVERYTHING:ROFL:
Especially with POPI and PCI - monitoring comes with the territory to ensure compliance along with many other potential reasons like risk mitigation etc.
I mean he literally has everyone's (internet) throughput on a monitor constantly,

Arthur

Honorary Master
Why not allow the person to use the PC for casual personal browsing? She's a human being after all, not a machine-adjunct.

If you want to preserve its software configuration integrity, there are numerous ways of doing so without controlling the person.

R4ziel

Expert Member
I've worked in some of the most secured and cowboy IT environments in South Africa, and not a single time had I found an IT guy interested in live internet traffic unless they have a reason to. Even then it will only be watched sporadically. No IT guy has the time to sit and wonder what you do all day every day.