I need to monitor a work PC covertly!

phaktza

Executive Member
The point is, it might not be in her contract, and it might not be on a sign. So if it was not explicitly stated that she may not do what she is doing in her free time (re the contract or sign) then this case will fall flat on Morty's side and he will be in for a disaster at the CCMA. It must be explicitly stated somewhere.

I couldn't access Youtube from work 2 days ago, I applied for access and I received it. Approved by Management.
Morty can either block some websites, or state what he does not want in his contract... Then again, Incognito mode will hide all user history.
I suggest you put a notice at the pc to inform users that the company reserves the right to monitor usage of work computers for work purposes. Then try again.
You still need a sign that states this. How do you think it's going to play off in a CCMA case?
For all they know, you could've been going to those websites on your own to try and constructively dismiss her.
Yes, but that has to do with her duties and performance - not with being monitored. Under no circumstances does an employer have to freely admit to or reserve the right to monitor usage or communications on their premises and equipment.

You're talking about something completely different.

garp

Executive Member
Don't really care what my employees do online (unless they're hogging bandwidth). Only thing that matters to me is meeting deadlines. For all I care they can watch YouTube all day, but if they don't finish their tasks in the mutually agreed timeline, it's their ass on the line.

furpile

Expert Member
Also, Morty is in Nambia :p, so their labour laws could be different. Is there a CCMA there?

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I do not know why people refuse to use incognito mode when they are work.

sicelo.m

Incognito mode only means no trail is left in the browser. On the network, everything is still in plain sight (unless their network allows proxies, VPNs, etc.)

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Incognito mode only means no trail is left in the browser. On the network, everything is still in plain sight (unless their network allows proxies, VPNs, etc.)
This is a phaff to trace, no IT admin wants to do this.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Actually its really easy and we do it all the time. A bad IT admin has no idea whats going in an out of their business network.
Okay fair point. I am not in the Netowrk/Sys Admin industry.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Okay fair point. I am not in the Netowrk/Sys Admin industry.
Yeah, we have the tools to monitor and block. Most of the time people are just left to be.

In larger companies they have stronger systems. VPNs and proxies wont be allowed and every bit of traffic is monitored.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Yeah, we have the tools to monitor and block. Most of the time people are just left to be.

In larger companies they have stronger systems. VPNs and proxies wont be allowed and every bit of traffic is monitored.
I thought this was the case. I have been meaning to read up on more advanced networking/traditional networking. What I know about networking is mearly how to link databases to apps, a basic understanding of HTTP and API's etc.