I need to understand an Apple person ...

Dolby

Honorary Master
So please enlighten me :

Without knowing anything of the product and without even having a picture of the device - the Internet is abuzz with people selling iPad 2 in order to buy the iPad 3 which no one knows anything about?

Surely the normal thing to do would be to wait for a technology product to actually be launched?

undesign

Executive Member
So please enlighten me :

Without knowing anything of the product and without even having a picture of the device - the Internet is abuzz with people selling iPad 2 in order to buy the iPad 3 which no one knows anything about?

Surely the normal thing to do would be to wait for a technology product to actually be launched?

Apple has a massive user base. A certain % of them would naturally be idiots - normal distribution curve would apply as it does to any group/segment.

Small % x large volume = internet abuzz. :D

And great for the rest of us willing to buy 2nd hand. :)

Crowley

Executive Member
Normal and Apple does not belong together. Maybe replace normal with rabid.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
People know that their iPads will fall in value on the 2nd hand market after the launch of the iPad 3, so they are trying to sell theirs now.

Yes nobody knows any official info, but some details have leaked out. It has been pretty much confirmed by a lot of rumour sites that the iPad 3 will have a "retina" display. They've looked at the new display under a microscope. That's the big attraction for me: 4x the resolution.

Dolby

Honorary Master
So you agree, SirS? :p

I mean, it would be like Canon saying we're launching a brand new 700D ... no specs as yet, no pictures as yet - but you're more than welcome to preorder and get everyone selling what they have. It's a little bizarre

I don't think anyone would do that - but when it came to the iPad, it seemed there was a fair amount ....

icyrus

Executive Member
It's a pretty safe bet that the new iPad will be better than the old iPad so why is it surprising that people are willing to sell their old equipment to upgrade?

Jabberwocky

Expert Member
So please enlighten me :

Not if its used as a status symbol instead of what its supposed to do.

undesign

Executive Member
So you agree, SirS? :p

Well, they're either over-zealous - which is perfectly explained by a normal distribution curve and applies to the 700D as well, albeit in much smaller volumes, nothing to do with Apple per se...or as Synaethesia rightfully pointed out they want to avoid the certain value fall.

Personally I think it is a bit retarded selling now to buy ipad 3 - we don't know the specs (will be better, but enough to warrant swop premium?) and you don't know when you will be able to get hold of one.

Dolby

Honorary Master
It's a pretty safe bet that the new iPad will be better than the old iPad so why is it surprising that people are willing to sell their old equipment to upgrade?

... wasn't that the attitude with the Apple TV 2nd generation? Everyone bought it - but preferred the 1st?
... or the Toyota RSI? Honda Vtec?

There are cases where the 1st generation is better - whether technology or cars.

sand_man

Honorary Master
That's nothing. I've already sold my iPad 3 in anticipation of the iPad 4...

russellO

People know that their iPads will fall in value on the 2nd hand market after the launch of the iPad 3, so they are trying to sell theirs now.

Yes nobody knows any official info, but some details have leaked out. It has been pretty much confirmed by a lot of rumour sites that the iPad 3 will have a "retina" display. They've looked at the new display under a microscope. That's the big attraction for me: 4x the resolution.

Just because a lot of people have the same rumour, doesn't make it a fact... A lot of companies make prototypes that never actually make it to production, they are just testing new hardware technologies. Take all the concept cars for example.

@Dolby: iPhone 4 vs HTC EVO This explains a lot of Apple people I have come across.

Avenue

Expert Member
Apple has built up a reputation as a company that improves on their offerings.
Its like I have 3 angels and airwaves cd's. So when no 4 came on the market I didn't need to listen to it to know that it would be good. They have built up enough of a reputation with me to trust that it will be.