I send out a hand curated list of content relating to software dev in ZA

Mattmar

Hey there! :)

I recently finished a small side project: https://www.devbyte.co.za. I'm trying to "give back" a bit by supplementing the software developer community in ZA with relevant news, blog posts, event information and more. I enjoy receiving content in this format and apparently others do too. If you have a minute, go take a look and subscribe :)

The project is in it's infancy so please, any CC and feedback is super welcome.

Have a great day!

Kosmik

Honorary Master
How is this different to what this forum is doing?
More aimed at developers with a cross section in technology. Having a look, seems interesting , will give it a read thankyou.

Mattmar

How is this different to what this forum is doing?
There is definitely crossover with a forum such as MBB but as [MENTION=39938]Kosmik[/MENTION] has mentioned, Devbyte is aimed specifically at Software devs/designers. I try to include a good mix of articles, news, techy blog posts and events happening around SA in each post that you might not find here. I send it out every two weeks to ensure it doesn't get spammy and people seem to like the format the information is presented in.

Give it a try :)

Is there a reason you can't host it on the site directly as well?
Will be adding this feature soon whereby peeps will be able to view the latest, or previous issues directly on the site. Thanks for the feedback!

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
So this product is a newsletter sent to my inbox? Not a forum or exchange with other IT professionals.

Batista

Executive Member
Can you maybe post the first newsletter on the site somewhere so people can have a look before subbing?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Yep. It's a newsletter that is sent out once every two weeks on Fridays.
Sorry but I get enough of those to qualify for frequent-flyer bonuses.
I prefer to interact hands-on with other devs, this is why these IT related forums still survive despite the odds.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I prefer to interact hands-on with other devs, this is why these IT related forums still survive despite the odds.
Maybe if Op allows, I'll post the contents of his latest one. It does have quite a broad cross section.

Sure I'm subscribed to quite a few ( MSDN, Stack, Code Proj to name a few ) but it never hurts to see. And it's actually quite light on details, one liner descriptions with links, similar to the Code Project newsletter if you know it.

Mattmar

I understand totally. It's not for everyone. I try to take a different approach to managing my mailbox and only subscribe to things I enjoy reading. If you enjoy a more interactive format and if you aren't a member already, checkout the Za Tech slack as well: https://zatech.github.io/ (not my project but I enjoy chatting to the peeps there) :)

Maybe if Op allows, I'll post the contents of his latest one. It does have quite a broad cross section.

Sure I'm subscribed to quite a few ( MSDN, Stack, Code Proj to name a few ) but it never hurts to see. And it's actually quite light on details, one liner descriptions with links, similar to the Code Project newsletter if you know it.
Post away mate :) I'm also happy to manually send anyone the older issues to checkout while I build out the archive feature.

I signed up now. Will have a look and see what it's like. :)
Hope you like it!

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Apologies for the lack of formatting etc but folks get the gist. First part of the items are embedded links, don't come through on the quote.

DevByte

#005 - Friday, 20 July 2018

"So much complexity in software comes from trying to make one thing do two things." – Ryan Singer
Hey there! Welcome to Devbyte issue #005. Some highlights from this week's issue include: Offerzen do an analysis of the top earning developers that have used their platform, Absa introduce their Whatsapp banking integration and a compromised npm package causes a scare in the open source community. Also, a design section has now been added to the newsletter. If there are any designer readers out there, I'd love some feedback and content suggestions! Have an awesome Friday and happy hacking.

✏
Articles/posts
Developer salaries, why some earn more -- offerzen
Offerzen have analysed the top 5% of highest earning developers on their platform and present their findings. Some interesting trends here.

How to write a good job spec for effective high volume recruitment -- giraffe
The original Github thread describing a compromised npm package -- eslint
On July 12th, 2018, an attacker compromised the npm account of an ESLint maintainer and published malicious versions of the eslint-scope and eslint-config-eslint packages to the npm registry

Designing and developing for accessibility -- quicket
It is expensive to be a millenial living in Jozi -- msn
Financial services firm UBS has put together a report that details the cost of millennial must-haves across the world.

Big News In Databases — Summer 2018 -- winand
Goodbye Microservices: From 100s of problem children to 1 superstar -- segment
Apple updates MacBook Pro with faster performance and new features for pros -- apple
Lessons learned scraping 100 billion products pages -- scrapinghub
Ex-Discovery innovation head launches digital stokvel Franc -- techcentral
Thomas Brennan, the former head of digital innovation at Discovery has launched a digital stokvel — an app-based investment vehicle that claims to slash the cost of investment.

absa to launch ChatBanking on WhatsApp – 1st Bank to Globally launch transactional banking services across Twitter, Messenger & Whatsapp -- absa
Absa’s secure, private and fully integrated chat banking service on WhatsApp will go live on 11 July 2018. An announcement by Absa CIO

Absa introduces Whatsapp banking, a first for South Africa -- iol
Uber vs Taxify prices in South Africa -- businesstech
As South Africa prepares for its fifth consecutive petrol price, industries around the country are starting to feel the pinch.

Five SA startups expanding into the rest of Africa -- ventureburn
South African tech startups are slowly waking up to the massive untapped market that is the rest of the continent.

Spotify introduces discovery weekly in South Africa -- techsmart
Silicon Valley eyes Africa as a new tech frontier -- fin24
Lagos - With its colourful hammocks and table tennis table, a new tech hub in the Lagos metropolis wouldn't look out of place among the start-ups on the other side of the world in Silicon Valley.

Aerobotics secures undisclosed funding -- ventureburn
AppsAfrica entries now open -- itweb
Africa based start-ups are invited to enter the fourth annual AppsAfrica Innovation Awards, which celebrate the best in mobile and tech from across Africa.

SA pupils scoop top award in Silicon Valley hackathon -- itweb
The South African winning team, named 'Wakanda Vibes', consists of 10 high school pupils aged between 13 and 17, who participated in the Africa Teen Geeks Saturday ICT classes at UNISA labs nationally

Code
First Steps with Serverless -- css tricks
adam-golab/react-developer-roadmap -- adam-golab
Roadmap to becoming a React developer in 2018

raycd/React-Redux-Styleguide -- iraycd
Working set of guidelines for developing React applications

Browsh -- brow.sh
Browsh is a fully-modern text-based browser. It renders anything that a modern browser can; HTML5, CSS3, JS, video and even WebGL.

Announcing TypeScript 3.0 RC -- microsoft
Node v10.7.0 (Current) released -- nodejs
Thank You for Your Help NoSQL, but We Got It from Here -- memsql
Web Architecture 101 -- videoblocks
The basic architecture concepts I wish I knew when I was getting started as a web developer

WTF is this - Understanding the this keyword, call, apply, and bind in JavaScript -- tyler mcginnis
One of the most misunderstood aspects of JavaScript is the this keyword. In this post, you’ll learn four rules for figuring out what the this keyword is referencing

Ruby 2.6 adds String#split with block -- bigbinary
In Ruby 2.6, a block can be passed to String#split which yields each split string and operates on it. This avoids creating an array and thus is memory efficient.

7 features proposed so far in Python 3.8 -- hackernoon

Apps
This app reads Wikipedia to teach you about the cities you’re driving through -- the verge
If you’re a fellow Wiki-addict who loves obscure local trivia, there’s now an app that’ll read it to you.

Events
Rehive Pop up Hackathon -- eventbrite
Rehive Fintech Hackathon happening tomorrow (21 July) in Cape Town!

Meetups
Lets Hack - esp8266! -- h4x - lets hack
John Weber will demo a host of esp8266 products that he has made.

Intro to SVG path animation & JS easing functions -- cape town front end developers
1 August - CT

ExpertDrinks Cape Town -- expert talks cape town
2 August - Cape Town

.NET Standard and Modernizing Projects -- cptmsdug
25 July - Cape Town

Cape Town: Networking for Games, Kubernetes & Kotlin -- dug
23 July - Cape Town

Rabbiteer Session #3: Deeper Dreams of Electric Sheep -- rabbiteer sessions
26 July - Johannesburg

Machine Learning for Digital Product Builders -- gdg
31 July - Cape Town

MotionLayout in Android | Android Developer's Guide to Machine Learning -- gdg johanneburg
8 August - Johannesburg

How to leverage Ansible for PostgreSQL -- gauteng postgresql user group
7 August - Centurion

Trending Repos
nhnent/tui.image-editor -- github
Full-featured photo image editor using canvas. It is really easy, and it comes with great filters.

mixn/carbon-now-cli -- github
Beautiful images of your code — from right inside your terminal.

cosmos72/gomacro0 -- github
Interactive Go interpreter and debugger with REPL, Eval, generics and Lisp-like macros

InterviewMap/InterviewMap -- github
Build the best interview map. The current content includes JS, network, browser related, performance optimization, security, framework, Git, data structure, algorithm, etc.

quantumlib/Cirq -- github
A python framework for creating, editing, and invoking Noisy Intermediate Scale Quantum (NISQ) circuits.

imbrn/v8n -- github
JavaScript fluent validation library.

design
For Illustrators, the iPad Pro Is (Almost) an Everyday Computer -- howdesign
Some beautiful illustrations on display here

Introducing Zeplin 2.0 — Components and a ton more goodies -- zeplin
Zeplin is awesome and the 2.0 updates include some really interesting new features!

4 Essential steps to designing with empathy -- invision
Design News – Innovation from Around the Globe - July '18 -- toptotal
A great monthly designer community roundup

Design Problem Statements – What They Are and How to Frame Them -- toptotal
Styles in Libraries and fixed elements in Prototyping in Sketch 51 -- sketch
© DevByte 2018

Hand curated list of dev news in our beautiful South Africa.You received this email because you are subscribed to DevByte. We take your privacy seriously and will not share your information with anyone.

unsubscribe