I signed up for Afrihost Pure Fibre, and it is awesome

Cius

Executive Member
So I checked out the pure offerings and noticed that they where advertising a 10/10 pure package for the same price as I was currently paying for the afrihost 10/1 uncapped package. Thought I might as well get the free upgrade on the upload speed + whatever other benefits for the unshaped etc portion. When I went into client zone though the 10/10 option was not available as an option for me despite being advertised on the MYBB article. I at first started checking up on that with Afriman here but then noticed they had an 8/2 package for 499 (I was paying 649). Honestly finances are kinda tight right now so I was more than happy to downgrade to the entry level package and save the R150 per month. Have not noticed any degradation in performance, netflix etc still works as well as it always did (most of our usage).

So overall I have been very happy with the switch and am grateful to Afrihost for getting a new better entry level package. I was initially on the 4/1 package when fiber finally arrived in our area and it was OK, was force upgraded to the 10/1 earlier this year which was annoying as it was more expensive, now I am back to paying a bit less which is useful in these economic times.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
So I checked out the pure offerings and noticed that they where advertising a 10/10 pure package for the same price as I was currently paying for the afrihost 10/1 uncapped package. Thought I might as well get the free upgrade on the upload speed + whatever other benefits for the unshaped etc portion. When I went into client zone though the 10/10 option was not available as an option for me despite being advertised on the MYBB article. I at first started checking up on that with Afriman here but then noticed they had an 8/2 package for 499 (I was paying 649). Honestly finances are kinda tight right now so I was more than happy to downgrade to the entry level package and save the R150 per month. Have not noticed any degradation in performance, netflix etc still works as well as it always did (most of our usage).

So overall I have been very happy with the switch and am grateful to Afrihost for getting a new better entry level package. I was initially on the 4/1 package when fiber finally arrived in our area and it was OK, was force upgraded to the 10/1 earlier this year which was annoying as it was more expensive, now I am back to paying a bit less which is useful in these economic times.
Glad to hear that everything worked out nicely for you in the end. It can be confusing with all the different packages from different providers. They can be very different price and feature wise.

But all good if you getting a good experience and also saving a few bucks.

A 24 piece Zinger bucket is R129 - I'm just saying ...

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
So anyone been able to get done what this article claims? Moving from mweb to afrihost “immediately” seems impossible. Mweb says they can release it “now”. Afrihost says it wont get there it takes 30 days. So who to believe. How to avoid downtime yet move to afrihost sooner rather than later?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
So anyone been able to get done what this article claims? Moving from mweb to afrihost “immediately” seems impossible. Mweb says they can release it “now”. Afrihost says it wont get there it takes 30 days. So who to believe. How to avoid downtime yet move to afrihost sooner rather than later?
There isn't one answer for all fibre networks.

I'm on Openserve and was using my current Afrihost credentials a few minutes after they became available, which was the day after I applied.

The line migrated a few days later, which was of no relevance other than that it reconfigured at 200Mbps with Afrihost, up from 100Mbps whilst with the previous ISP.

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
There isn't one answer for all fibre networks.

I'm on Openserve and was using my current Afrihost credentials a few minutes after they became available, which was the day after I applied.

The line migrated a few days later, which was of no relevance other than that it reconfigured at 200Mbps with Afrihost, up from 100Mbps whilst with the previous ISP.
Mweb said it should be ready to move. Afrihost support said it takes 30 days before they can 'have it', then I can move it. Figured worth a shot to just plug in the afrihost router and it worked. Am now on Afrihost.

If only the afrihost support guy knew it will just work without "your service will be cancelled but please note the request will be sent to openserve for the line to be released" but anyway, sorted now so suppose its all that matters.

Moved my login of afrihost to mweb router as I prefer it to the afrihost one that looks like a spider that escaped jurrasic park and all working smooth

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
We should be able to take over the line within a few hours of it being released. However, it depends on how quickly the ISP will release the line, and how quickly the fibre provider will process the migration.

The big FNO's like Vuma and Openserve are generally pretty quick.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Mweb said it should be ready to move. Afrihost support said it takes 30 days before they can 'have it', then I can move it. Figured worth a shot to just plug in the afrihost router and it worked. Am now on Afrihost.

If only the afrihost support guy knew it will just work without "your service will be cancelled but please note the request will be sent to openserve for the line to be released" but anyway, sorted now so suppose its all that matters.

Moved my login of afrihost to mweb router as I prefer it to the afrihost one that looks like a spider that escaped jurrasic park and all working smooth
Just remember that any PPPoE details will work on any Openserve line - much like DSL- as far as I understand.

So we'll have to 100% confirm that your line is with us through Openserve.

nathierv

Since the 17th September I have been trying to resolve a connectivity issue. Afrihost provides so many ways to get help via whatsapp, support calls, call backs or calling their 0800 number.

Don't be fooled because you won't get assisted. The staff is so scripted that even though you give them a full rundown of what has been done, they insist on doing the same thing again because their way is better. Forget about speaking to a manager because they always out of the office.

Best answer I got after 3 weeks from reception is that she cannot put me through to a director or PA (Michelle) of the CEO (Gian Visser) because Michelle instructed them not to direct calls to the CEO's office.

So Afrihost how does one resolve a DNS problem because your bitstream partner says everything is fine on theirside.

Yet Vinay when I managed to talk to someone saw that I had 3 IP addresses and it was escalated with an empty promise of we will call you back.

Does this stop Afrihost from deducting no it does not because low and behold they deducted money from my account, this is called stealing Afrihost as you not providing a service but yet you taking money.

Now for the best part so for the 3 weeks where I had no connectivity, I have been tracking usage which has spiked and I even told consultants about the usage. Please don't get me started on the reasons why there is data usage.

So as I am typing this Lee-Ann who is the receptionist, is find out when Warren is going to be back at his desk or she can forward my details to Warren to call me back. The details must be going down a dark hole.

So if you have an issue don't bother asking for a manager or senior manager because they are protected species at Afrihost. Only the elite probably gets to talk to them or maybe I must be royalty or a president of a country.

So Afrihost my next communication is to ISPA & ICASA, maybe if the regulator contacts you will an issue be resolved.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Sadly afrihosts support is their short fall, when the service works it is in my experience great, but boy if you have a problem they will make you shlt yourself up to your eyeballs before assisting you, the support put plainly is absolutely utterly dog k@k. I have even dealt with Gian before and the support received there on was still less than acceptable, I don't know if it is a bad culture thing, a lack or skills or resources thing etc but whatever it is, it ruins the brand image and chases customers away.

@AfriMan @Afrihost-Gian