I stopped puppy fraudsters. Then I got swindled by Capitec.

CapitecRobbedMe

About this time last month, I received a Facebook message from a woman claiming to be a bull terrier breeder. My wife, three kids and I repatriated to SA in 2017, and it was about the right time to get a puppy. We had been asking about a bull terrier because my wife grew up with them, and were delighted that someone had a puppy to sell us. We asked all the right questions and she gave all the right answers, including information on the puppies' parents, photos and videos showing several angles, an address of the house and the courier who would be bringing us the puppy.

Not wanting to miss out, I paid the R2,000 deposit and left for a meeting.

During the meeting, my wife tried to call several times. She had spoken to the so-called breeder over the phone, and none of her answers had added up. When I used Google's reverse image search, one of the photos turned up from a Polish website from several months before. I then knew we were dealing with fraudsters.

I immediately called Standard Bank and alerted them to the problem. The money would not have cleared into their bank account, so there was still time to get it back. At first, the lady at the Standard Bank call centre said there was nothing they could do, but after some pushing, put me through to the Transactional Fraud department. After an hour on the phone, she reported that Capitec had temporarily frozen the payment, but would require a police report and affidavit for me to get it back.

Hallelujah.

I opened a case at the local police station, submitted my documents to the Transactional Fraud Department, and waited for my refund.

I was confused. What did "push payment for a vehicle scam" mean? What was the indemnity process? A court order for R2000?

I responded to the contact at Standard Bank:

Responses were slow to come. Finally, I got this:

That's it. You're on your own. They have your money but would like to keep it. Go to court or lose it.

You can beat the online criminals if you're lucky. Beating the ones in suits is more difficult. Thanks for stealing my R2,000 Capitec.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Ai people, buying something via OLX/Gumtree/Facebook 101

NEVER EVER EVER EVER PAY ANYTHING WITHOUT MEETING FACE 2 FACE - IF THE PERSON HAS TO SEND IT ITS LIKELY A SCAM

It sucks but you should have been careful you can be lucky its R2000 ppl have lost much more...

supersunbird

Honorary Master
About this time last month, I received a Facebook message from a woman claiming to be a bull terrier breeder. My wife, three kids and I repatriated to SA in 2017, and it was about the right time to get a puppy. We had been asking about a bull terrier because my wife grew up with them, and were delighted that someone had a puppy to sell us. We asked all the right questions and she gave all the right answers, including information on the puppies' parents, photos and videos showing several angles, an address of the house and the courier who would be bringing us the puppy.

Not wanting to miss out, I paid the R2,000 deposit and left for a meeting.

View attachment 712961

During the meeting, my wife tried to call several times. She had spoken to the so-called breeder over the phone, and none of her answers had added up. When I used Google's reverse image search, one of the photos turned up from a Polish website from several months before. I then knew we were dealing with fraudsters.

I immediately called Standard Bank and alerted them to the problem. The money would not have cleared into their bank account, so there was still time to get it back. At first, the lady at the Standard Bank call centre said there was nothing they could do, but after some pushing, put me through to the Transactional Fraud department. After an hour on the phone, she reported that Capitec had temporarily frozen the payment, but would require a police report and affidavit for me to get it back.

Hallelujah.

I opened a case at the local police station, submitted my documents to the Transactional Fraud Department, and waited for my refund.

View attachment 712965

I was confused. What did "push payment for a vehicle scam" mean? What was the indemnity process? A court order for R2000?

I responded to the contact at Standard Bank:

View attachment 712967

Responses were slow to come. Finally, I got this:

View attachment 712975

That's it. You're on your own. They have your money but would like to keep it. Go to court or lose it.

You can beat the online criminals if you're lucky. Beating the ones in suits is more difficult. Thanks for stealing my R2,000 Capitec.
Wooden walling/fencing is definitely not common in SA, so that should have been a tip to research the source of the pictures, as well as the green verdant grass if the person is claiming to be in a highveld location (cause winter is just ending, hasn't really rained yet, so grass is not that green and long generally) and if the claim is it shows a current puppy.

Tman*

Expert Member
School fees unfortunately.

I have heard about someone successfully reporting a capitec bank account for fraud, and it being frozen. Your best bet would be to try and do that. Hopefully there is a couple of grand in the account at the time of it being frozen.

epah

Expert Member
How do you even courier a puppy? Sounds like animal cruelty to me.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Also rather adopt from people or SPCA. Think these kinds of people would sell their own kids if they were allowed to.

Moereloos

My mother-in-law fell for the 'buy a puppy and we'll send it by plane from Bloemfontein' scam. She was down R20,000 for two Shitzus before I heard about it and told her it was a scam. Never saw a cent again.
A few weeks later she found another advert for a Shitzu. The guy brought it to her in person, she paid him R3,000 cash and after he left she realised he gave her a Pekingese i.s.o a Shitzu. Once again, he denied any knowledge and my daughter got a new puppy (who turned out much cuter and more intelligent than either of the Shitzus).

S.Claus

So you paid money to someone without seeing the product for sale in person and then you blaming the bank for your mistake?
It’s a digital age so I’m guessing he tried the puppy express .

Takealot,amazon and Ebay - Any item
Uber eats and Mr Delivery - Food and drinks
Net florist - Flowers
Uber and taxify - if you need to go somewhere
Tesla - spec and order your car
Checkers - groceries

Point is everything is digital so I probably also wouldn’t have thought twice

Hellhound105

Expert Member
The puppies aren't/weren't there even to begin with.
Also rather adopt from people or SPCA. Think these kinds of people would sell their own kids if they were allowed to.

And yet if OP adopted he/she/alien would have had a new best friend by now