I tried to get debt collectors to stop calling me and they just wouldn’t

chrisc

Executive Member
How many calls did you get? Friend got a new CellC SIM. Within an hour, dozens of phone calls (we think they are speaking Shwana) and 50 SMS from all sorts of people

He took it back and complained. The staff at CellC Sun Valley thought it a huge joke

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Its called Truecaller, Bradley. Go to AppStore or Google Play, click Install Now, and problem solved to a large degree

Pythonista

I don't think I could cope without Truecaller. That, and whatsapp are the only apps I use on a daily basis, apart from the alarm that wakes me up :)

R13...

Honorary Master
How many calls did you get? Friend got a new CellC SIM. Within an hour, dozens of phone calls (we think they are speaking Shwana) and 50 SMS from all sorts of people

He took it back and complained. The staff at CellC Sun Valley thought it a huge joke
Shona or Tswana? Shwana isn't a language I think.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I have a sheriff of the court phoning me for close to 4 years now on my business mobile.

The person that he is looking for wasn't very hard for me to find. I have everything of that person coming through to me, no matter what I do to rectify them of the issue it still keeps on coming, also new accounts being opened.

RICA, what is the purpose of that again?

chrisc

Executive Member
Shona or Tswana? Shwana isn't a language I think.
Yes, it is Shona I think. They speak it in Zimbabwe. Our domestic lady recognised it. She had a conversation with one caller. She said he was wanting to make a date with her, but was disappointed to find she lives in Cape Town

R13...

Honorary Master
Yes, it is Shona I think. They speak it in Zimbabwe. Our domestic lady recognised it. She had a conversation with one caller. She said he was wanting to make a date with her, but was disappointed to find she lives in Cape Town
That's odd given that the language isn't spoken in this country.

chrisc

Executive Member
Being an English-speaker, African languages all sound the same to me. But the one she answered happened to be a Shona-speaker. Maybe the others were Martians, I have no means of knowing

Irs been resolved now, he has a new number which was virgin

WAslayer

Expert Member
Not odd at all.. Plenty of people from Zimbabwe working and living here in Cape Town..

Had three at my previous company, around 8 at the current company.. A few of our SweepStars, as they are called, are from Zimbabwe as well..

now05ster

Lots of them here in PE

And yes, Truecaller should be the subject of the next article. The writer can detail the installation and how its use regulated his BP.

JustAsk

Expert Member
A spokesperson for Cell C explained that call centre agents are required to conduct a security check when calling a user and can’t disclose that the calls are related to debt collection until the correct person has been identified.
Fck off... You inisiated the call, so you have a duty to state your business before even trying a security check at all. Beside, who da fck "security check" you in the first place. I am not answering questions from a stranger i can't vet myself.

"Go fck yourself" always stops these calls.

RedViking

Nord of the South
How the hell did we survive before smart phones aka sms and call blocking....

ponder

Honorary Master
Been receiving sms, calls from virgin, edgars, truworths etc and attorneys for a Mr Patel for almost two years now.

I've had my phone number for 14yrs so no idea why they're calling me.

airborne

Executive Member
I got a recycled number that I use in a tablet, one guy(same number) phones like 7 times a day, week in week out. Endless spam sms's etc, bloody nightmare if it was my main phone sim.

cavedog

Honorary Master
If you get stats on how many Zimbabwe nationals here in SA then Shona is actually a widely spoken language. Gauteng to Limpopo. There are sooooooo many Zimbabweans. The Mozambique people like to flock to KZN and Zim people to GP and Limpopo.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Why is the author of this article even answering calls from unknown or private numbers? I never answer any call that's not from a number in my contact list. If it's important they can leave a voicemail.