I wan't an Ipad2, Should I get one?

BrokenRSA

The iPad 2... I was very lucky and managed to pick on up on Friday on my way back from the UK. I also have an iPad 1, which is now in the wife's possession.

I can honestly say that if you want an iPad, you won't be missing much by going for the iPad 1. The biggest new feature, the cameras, aren't all that wonderful. They're the same resolution as that of the iPod Touch 4. The only reason for having cameras on a tablet for me, would be video conferencing. And for that they do a decent enough job, but you're not going to be taking any wonderful pictures with this thing.

The extra speed is nice, but if you're not using the iPad for gaming, it really doesn't make much of a difference.

If you have an iPad 1, you might as well hang onto it, and wait for the iPad 3.

3p1c

Banned
I've got 64GB iPad 2's arriving late this week/ early next week. Cost is R10200 each. 12 Month local warranty held by my JHB importer who bring in tons of phones/iphones/ ipads for years now.

PM me for more details. Pricing is high on this run as there is a shortage on components for iPad 2 (suppliers words not mine).

Quad

I've got 64GB iPad 2's arriving late this week/ early next week. Cost is R10200 each. 12 Month local warranty held by my JHB importer who bring in tons of phones/iphones/ ipads for years now.

PM me for more details. Pricing is high on this run as there is a shortage on components for iPad 2 (suppliers words not mine).

Bwhahahahahan at the price. Bwhahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

64GB 3G Black iPad2 with black leather smart cover, camera connection kit and iPad 2 dock direct from Apple UK online store R8721.30 delivered free to a mate's house in London (yes, R8.7K is what came off my credit card). Just the price of the iPad, without the accessories, came to just over 100 bucks cheaper than the local pricing of the equivalent iPad 1 model....!!!

3p1c

Banned
I know mate, price is high.
I don't set the pricing the importer does.

You also must remember there is +24% added to imports into SA. 10% customs duty, and 14% VAT.

Anyways, as I said I don't set the pricing, I'm just the middle man. I've got the stock if anyones interested. You just gotta PM me.

Also what makes my supplier different, is that they give 12 month warranty, I've sold over 50 ipads, 20 iphones, **** loads of BB, Nokia etc etc via this supplier and their warranty team are ON IT and sort problems quickly.

Your iPad2, only has UK warranty. If it breaks you're stuffed bru.

Quad

I do understand about the pricing but all the middle men are taking their cut (you're all entitled to your profit anyway).

Regarding the warranty, that's where I took the conscious decision that I am willing to take a chance given my experience with Apple products ;)

edit to add - but I do think there's some profiteering going on just because there may be a shortage due to the Japanese crisis...

Last edited:

Elimentals

Honorary Master
If you have an iPad 1, you might as well hang onto it, and wait for the iPad 3.

After playing on mine for a day I can now second this motion.
If you don't have to make video calls don't waste your money on this one. In fact I would even go as far as to say if you buy a new one go for the cheaper iPad 1. I don't see any difference in the games i have so you don't even notice its got a better CPU. This might change by the end of the year but by then it will almost be time for the 3 to come out.

Grimspoon

Executive Member
Gotta say, after reading lots of reviews, forums, the iPad2 although a little bit faster, little bit thinner and having 2 cameras, it really doesn't warrant these stupid prices people are trying to charge.

You probably better off going down to your local iStore and getting a iPad 1 for a reasonable price.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I heard a rumour that the ipad will drop to half of it's current price by the end of April...

Jola

Honorary Master
In fact what can your Xoom really do that the iPad can't? Just curious ...

* Operate without a computer (no need to connect to iTunes before you use it)

* Load music / video / software without a computer (via flash memory card)

* Supports Adobe Flash 10, providing much better website compatibility

* USB interface (incl USB Host, via hack, allowing user to connect Compactflash reader, keyboard, for example)

* HDMI port

* 5Mp camera

* Dual LED flash photography

* Charge from international standard cellphone interface (micro-USB)

* Play HD movies in natural screen aspect ratio

* Upgradeable to 4G wireless (3G model only)

* Storage memory upgradeable via flash memory (just think what a handful of 32GB microSDHC cards could offer on an extended trip).

* Built-in accelerometer and gyroscope

* Non-crippled Bluetooth (as in iPod / iPad) ? Not sure about this.

I'm sure that there are more, will tell you when I get my Xoom in a week or two.

Last edited:

Jola

Honorary Master
Microsoft don't seem to think you should get one :)

Mundie said he believed the smartphone "as it emerges more will become your most personal computer", while laptops would occupy a space he dubbed the "portable desk".

I actually agree with Mundie. Tablets are essentially also part of the "portable desk".

When I travel I would like to have a Tablet in my bag, but a Smartphone in my hands.

3p1c

Banned
I do understand about the pricing but all the middle men are taking their cut (you're all entitled to your profit anyway).

Regarding the warranty, that's where I took the conscious decision that I am willing to take a chance given my experience with Apple products ;)

edit to add - but I do think there's some profiteering going on just because there may be a shortage due to the Japanese crisis...

I bet you're right, there is probably profiterring going on. Yeah Im the middle man - markups are low I can assure you.

And your right pricing is said to have gone up due to Japan crisis and part shortages..

CrazYmonkeY159

Expert Member
to add onto what Jola said and what clasqm asked

all devices running Honeycomb (all the newly announced android tablets excluding the HTC Flyer) can be able to act as a fully fledged USB host for disk drives. peripherals like keyboards/external usb speakers or anything exotic may require some app or fix.

I hope this answers your question.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I just cant see why someone would buy a tablet computer instead of a 10 to 13 inch laptop. Get a 10 inch laptop with an SSD.