I want to buy a Fortuner

marco79

Expert Member
I am very interested in buying a low mileage (<30000kms) Toyota Fortuner. I have heard that there was a problem with the suspension in the early models, 2006 & early 2007. Are there any truth to this rumor?

My current car is costing me on average R1000 per month to maintain and feel that some of the more serious components are going to go soon. (eg, suspension, gearbox, aircon, etc.) I do most of my driving on gravel roads and need a SUV/pick-up/double cab/mpv. My wife prefers a 7 seater to a double cab and I feel the fortuner, which is based on the Hilux is the ideal solution. IMO the Captiva is more of a soft offroad vehicle and the diesel varient a bit underpowered.

Any other options regarding my choice in vehicles, and have anyone heard of the suspension problems with the fortuner & how can I check whether I have one that isn't going to cause me problems further down the line?

lerouc

There were suspension issues (search wheels24) but they recalled the fortuners and fitted other tyres (which personally i wouldn't trust) but to all the new models they actually made suspension changes. I am currently actually looking at getting a hilux.

marco79

Expert Member
I will have a look at the Forester over the weekend. Its a Subaru right?

JK8

Banned
Dont get a Captiva!!

Fortuners are cool. dont get a gold one!
But I agree a Forrester will also be a nice option.

BCO

Honorary Master
Hey JK, you still dropping Forester XTs in your PGTI?

MacBoney

Great SUV in my opinion, my old man just bought a 4x2 3L Diesel. Exchanged cars with him for a day and i have no complaints. Great ground clearance, great drive and ofcos 7 seats which an adult can actually sit on the last 2.

The only thing i dont like about the Fortuner is how it looks in the rear but its something that you get used to......same as the new Polo, looks Sh** at the back but i'm sure we'll get used to it.

Good Luck

BCO

Honorary Master
My dad's petrol Fortuner consumed between 13 and 16l/100km. Stay away from the petrol models.

HammerDown

Expert Member
Hey JK, you still dropping Forester XTs in your PGTI?
Bahaha.......

The Forester gives you way better technology for your money. Every time someone tells me he bought a Fortuner, I can't help but think he did not do his homework & fell for the "always going right" spiel....

BCO

Honorary Master
Bahaha.......

The Forester gives you way better technology for your money. Every time someone tells me he bought a Fortuner, I can't help but think he did not do his homework & fell for the "always going right" spiel....
Fortuner's a good choice IMO if you're looking to do fairly serious offroading and/or trips into Africa. But for light to medium offroad work, gravel roads etc a Forester is fantastic. Even my standard 1.5 Impreza does great in gravel/mud conditions, just the ground clearance is limited.

marco79

Expert Member
Petrol fortunes are 4.0litres. The diesel hilux has the same engine as the fortuner and i have some collegues getting 12 to 13 km per litre with the double cab hiluxes with canopies.

Fazda

Honorary Master
I fully agree on the Forester. just been doing research for myself on the 4x4 site, and those guys are raving about them.

Cannot help that Toyota made a Freudian slip in naming the Fortuna, coz that's what it's going to cost you in gas!! :D

marco79

Expert Member
Ok, my wife loves the car and to her it is exactly what our family needs.

I have had finance approved for a new Fortuner. I have to give a 10% deposit which isn't really a big problem. Interest rate is 13.5% fixed at Wesbank over 72 months, 0 residual, 0 balloon payment. Applied at 15h00 and got approval at 09h30 this morning. I am going to try other banks cause if I get a better interest rate the deposit will be less. I've had a look at some second hand Forester's and there was no spark. I need to drive something I love, so its between a Fortuner or a Golf V GTi DSG.

phiber

Expert Member
They are now financing cars over 6 years? I thought 5 was the max.

Naks

Expert Member
I am very interested in buying a low mileage (<30000kms) Toyota Fortuner. I have heard that there was a problem with the suspension in the early models, 2006 & early 2007. Are there any truth to this rumor?

If you like to roll cars, go for it!