• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

I want to buy an entry level DSLR or Mirrorless

mattrudlles

I recently went to India and couldn't get a picture of Mt Everest and realised that a camera phone really is not a substitute for a decent camera. Going forward I would like to have something decent to take on overseas trips, for casual photography and family events, and so on.

I have narrowed my choices down to:
  1. Canon EOS M100
  2. Nikon D3400 (if I can find one)
  3. Canon EOS Rebel SL2
  4. Sony A6000 (if I can get one under R9k)
Have I missed anything?

The camera will mostly - 9/10 times - be used for photos not videos.

My first choice is the M100 because it seems to be a solid all rounder for a very good price. Also canon appears to have the best lens options at good prices.

newby_investor

Canons and Nikons overseas are much of a muchness. Pick which one you like. Here in ZA, due to the Nikon distributor (Premium Brands I think they're called?) being greedy, the equivalent Nikons are significantly more expensive than the Canons. The same applies to lenses.

As a result of this, Canons tend to be more commonly available in ZA especially on Gumtree etc. So purely from a pragmatic point of view, I'd recommend your number 1 choice.

My first DSLR was a Nikon D3100 (of which the D3400 is an upgrade). I went with that because I liked it more than the Canon, and found a good deal.

I don't know anything about the Sonys, so can't comment there.

mmmig

Executive Member
EOS M50 is the way to go. I have a sneaky suspicion it's going to go on sale on Black Friday

mattrudlles

Appreciate the inpute so far - thank you.

Is it worth spending a bit extra to get additional bundled lenses. I have seen the M100 with a 22mm or 55 - 200mm (IIRC). Works out to be about R1000 saving vs buying separately. Or would the 15-45mm suffice for now?

For example the base kit of the M100 is R6k, whereas the extra lens kit for the 22mm is R8k and some change.

newby_investor

Is it worth spending a bit extra to get additional bundled lenses. I have seen the M100 with a 22mm or 55 - 200mm (IIRC). Works out to be about R1000 saving vs buying separately. Or would the 15-45mm suffice for now?

For example the base kit of the M100 is R6k, whereas the extra lens kit for the 22mm is R8k and some change.
I guess it would depend on whether or not you actually want those lenses? Kit lenses are usually okay but not great. If you just have basic needs then they'll be fine.

I don't know the Canon range very well, but I have a Nikon 18-200mm lens which I bought separately, which sorts me out with everything I need in one. (Granted I don't do portrait or macro, mostly landscape.)

mattrudlles

I guess it would depend on whether or not you actually want those lenses? Kit lenses are usually okay but not great. If you just have basic needs then they'll be fine.

I don't know the Canon range very well, but I have a Nikon 18-200mm lens which I bought separately, which sorts me out with everything I need in one. (Granted I don't do portrait or macro, mostly landscape.)
It seems the best additional lens is the 32mm - R8k :eek: The 22mm is a pretty neat lens and comes bundled in some packages at a good discount.

mmmig

Executive Member
What would be the main reasons for choosing it over the M100?
Viewfinder, fully articulating screen (really handy getting low down shots, shooting over crowds, and even selfies).

Full list advantages:

Should I Get the Canon EOS M50 or the EOS M100?

The Canon EOS M50 and EOS M100 cameras represent the budget options in Canon's mirrorless lineup, but the "budget" label is a relative one because – as Canon's naming conventions suggest – these cameras are not on the same level. Typically speaking, Canon camera models with more numerical digits in their name are positioned lower in the camera lineup than cameras with fewer digits. In this case, the naming convention holds true. The EOS M50 has several features not included in the M100, the most notable of which is an EVF (Electronic Viewfinder). The big question becomes, are the M50's features worth spending more for?

Let's take a look at how the EOS M50 and EOS M100 compare to find out which camera might be the best for your specific needs.

Canon EOS M50 and M100 Shared Primary Features:

• Dual Pixel CMOS AF Sensor*
  • Resolution: 6000 x 4000 pixels (24 MP)
  • Crop Factor: 1.6x (APS-C sensor)
  • Native EF-M Lens Support (compatible with EF/EF-S/TS-E/MP-E with EF-EOS M Adapter)
  • Exposure Compensation: +/-3 EV in 1/3 stop increments
  • Shutter Speed Range: 30-1/4000 sec in 1/3 stop increments
  • LCD: 7.5 cm (3.0”) Touchscreen (TFT). 3:2 aspect ratio. Approx. 1,040,000 dots
  • Built-in Flash GN: 5
  • Flash x-Sync: 1/200 sec.
  • Built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC
  • My Menu (customizable menu) vs. none
  • Operating Environment: 32–104°F / 0–40°C
* Dual Pixel CMOS sensor AF benefits unavailable during 4K recording (M50).

Primary Advantages of the Canon EOS M50:

• Electronic Viewfinder + LCD vs. LCD only
  • DIGIC 8 processor vs. DIGIC 7
  • 143 AF points vs. 49
  • EV -2 – 18 AF working range vs. EV -1 – 18
  • EV 0 – 20 metering range vs. EV 1 – 20
  • Auto exposure bracketing vs. none
  • Ambience/white priority AWB vs. ambience only
  • Vari-angle LCD vs. tiltable 180 degrees up
  • Flash recycling time: 3 sec. vs. 5
  • Flash hot shoe vs. none
  • Adobe RGB and sRGB color spaces vs. sRGB only
  • 10 fps One Shot/7.4 fps Servo AF continuous shooting vs. 6.1 / 4
  • .CR3 File Format with C-RAW vs. .CR2 (no C-RAW support)
  • Up to 4K UHD video recording vs. Full HD 1080p
  • Compatible with Bluetooth BR-E1 / mobile device remote control vs. mobile device only
  • 9 customizable buttons vs. 2

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

FWIW my EOS-M kit came with the 22mm and an adapter so I can use normal canon lenses. It opens up a lot more possibilities.

MirageF1

M50 looks gr8, not sure of local pricing but vari angle lcd (v imp for reducing glare and those neck breaking shooting angles) , it's compact size/weight, mirrorless... all make it an excellent contender for a serious bit of travel camera.

350g , nearly half the weight of my 700D :cool: