I want to move away from Afrihost - help me choose a new package

SpoonTech

Hi,

Given Afrihost's terrible performance over the last few months, I am looking to move as soon as possible. I am not really buying into (what I deem to be) empty promises again (unless somebody from Afrihost can convince me otherwise).

My household currently uses 170 to 200GB per month, and very little usage is between 12h00 and 6h00.
We currently pay R400 to Afrihost for this package. My speeds have gone to s*** for a good few months now.

I am looking to move to something else, but can't seem to find a similar cap at a similar price point. Looking to pay <R500 for 200GB capped. Uncapped accounts usually are too heavily shaped for YouTube etc.

What options are out there for my usage patterns at the moment? I live with four other internet users on the same property so it's quite hard to convince them to shift any downloads into the 12h00 to 6h00 period, but it can be done if it's the only option.

Perhaps this thread can help out others who are looking at moving to better service as well.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Currently testing WebAfrica (well the test will be done tonight). When I have answers I will post feedback

Metalazzo

Have you looked at Crystalweb Home Premium, I have personally used over 100 Gigs in less than a week with them.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Have you looked at Crystalweb Home Premium, I have personally used over 100 Gigs in less than a week with them.

Ex CrystalWeb client here... hence I moved to other ISPs and then Afrihost..

karnuffel

Expert Member
I am I the same boat but I am looking for about 50 - 100GB. Considering moving to Axxess or vox.

mugikhan

I am I the same boat but I am looking for about 50 - 100GB. Considering moving to Axxess or vox.

Axxess is essentially afrihost since it is owned by Afrihost. I was on their 10mbps business uncapped package and they throttle after 200 or so gigs used so i wouldn't go with them, I am moving to crystalweb business premium capped starting from tomorrow...
Also forgot to mention the same network issues they are having with MTN as are Afrihost...

ranger

Expert Member
Looking to pay <R500 for 200GB capped. Uncapped accounts usually are too heavily shaped for YouTube etc.

200GB in daytime (let's say in 18 hours out of 24) for R500 is under cost, and not sustainable at current pricing (taking into account the price reduction), as Afrihost has found out. It's a pity for customers (and the entire market) that they didn't price their 'unshaped' products responsibly.

AntiGanda

Banned
200GB in daytime (let's say in 18 hours out of 24) for R500 is under cost, and not sustainable at current pricing (taking into account the price reduction), as Afrihost has found out. It's a pity for customers (and the entire market) that they didn't price their 'unshaped' products responsibly.
Well when I was on Telkom Internet your uncapped was suddenly capped early at a measily level, and heavy shaping was your game. You made this change with no notice whatsoever. It went from great to crap overnight.

What Afrihost are doing is plain dishonest and shaping capped into oblivion.

In my experience the ISP merry-go-round is a total timewaste. They are constantly changing their terms when they decide to rake in profits.

ranger

Expert Member
Well when I was on Telkom Internet your uncapped was suddenly capped early at a measily level,

Higher level than some competitors, when they count 24x30 and we count 17x30.

and heavy shaping was your game. You made this change with no notice whatsoever. It went from great to crap overnight.

There was no policy change.

It took too long for revenue increases to be recognised allowing us to overspend on the opex. Unfortunately in a company with 18000 employees ad-hoc financial processes such as this take longer. There have basically been complaints since the end of February.

Afrihost is starting the journey we started on 2 years ago, they're even switching to the platform we use.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I switched from Telkom to WebAfrica, and WebAfrica suits me fine ... 10Mbps capped home. No intention to change.

Schedule your downloads at night (and you get plenty of 'bonus' data for that) and you'll be fine with them. Don't expect miracles though ... 40GB downloads are still massive, any way you cut it :D

AntiGanda

Banned
Higher level than some competitors, when they count 24x30 and we count 17x30.

There was no policy change.

It took too long for revenue increases to be recognised allowing us to overspend on the opex. Unfortunately in a company with 18000 employees ad-hoc financial processes such as this take longer. There have basically been complaints since the end of February.

Afrihost is starting the journey we started on 2 years ago, they're even switching to the platform we use.
Your company implemented a change and we felt it. How many customers did you lose?
-

Which platform is that?

ponder

Honorary Master
Well when I was on Telkom Internet your uncapped was suddenly capped early at a measily level, and heavy shaping was your game.

I can do 200GB a month on a 2Mb/s line & don't experiece much shaping (torrents 75% speed some times). You on the other hand are all over the forum complaining about things other people dispute. You never ever provide any technical feedback when requested & will never ever supply any info to those that are trying to help you.

AntiGanda

Banned
I can do 200GB a month on a 2Mb/s line & don't experiece much shaping (torrents 75% speed some times). You on the other hand are all over the forum complaining about things other people dispute. You never ever provide any technical feedback when requested & will never ever supply any info to those that are trying to help you.
Your links to Telkom are open to question. #shill

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Signed up with WebAfrica... the problems are... GONE.... like magic...

dee4dog

This is just a symptom of the sad state of the internet in south africa! I also now need another account , probably webAfrica, But then again everybody leaving AH will alleviate their congestion an pile it on another ISP. Note to self write a app to access multiple free accounts then get best speed, latency etc. for given selection an log in to that account, upgrade best selection acount for a month, then re-evaluate....ok a bit far fetched :)

Sonic2k

Executive Member
This is just a symptom of the sad state of the internet in south africa! I also now need another account , probably webAfrica, But then again everybody leaving AH will alleviate their congestion an pile it on another ISP. Note to self write a app to access multiple free accounts then get best speed, latency etc. for given selection an log in to that account, upgrade best selection acount for a month, then re-evaluate....ok a bit far fetched :)

Not far fetched at all... if you want testers, and want someone to collaborate I will be available. I am tired of the **** in this country with internet. WA is doing it for me now.. but I promise you, I will give them a PK like I did to Gian today, if they come with their crap...

biometrics

Honorary Master
Note to self write a app to access multiple free accounts then get best speed, latency etc.

Problem is there are thing like rolling windows and other dynamic shaping which an initial test won't indicate.

But ... interesting idea if run daily ...

mmm