I was going to pay my TV licence, and then the “attorneys” called

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
For a once-off fee you can get someone to come around, plug up all your tuner holes and then you can opt out of the license. There are defined avenues of action for people in your position.
That once-off fee turns into a yearly fee that costs more than the license itself, because you have to prove every year that you haven't gone and slyly put the tuner back into the TV. And you have to pay the inspector every time he comes around to check that none of the monitors in your house have built-in TV tuners.

The SABC's not just going to take your word for it, so it will send the inspector around each time they grow suspicious that you're still using the tuner. R300 down the drain each time.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
That once-off fee turns into a yearly fee that costs more than the license itself, because you have to prove every year that you haven't gone and slyly put the tuner back into the TV. And you have to pay the inspector every time he comes around to check that none of the monitors in your house have built-in TV tuners.
OK the guy that I asked (A TV repair shop/installer) said it's a once-off. I'll drop in and ask him for clarification next time I'm walking past his shop, as I've been considering doing it. He charged R100 + his call out fee, it worked out about R100 more than one year of license fee.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator

The SABC's not just going to take your word for it, so it will send the inspector around each time they grow suspicious that you're still using the tuner. R300 down the drain each time.
Nope.

You pay a once off fee. The only time you have to pay again is if an inspector comes around and finds you've restored your tv. If he comes around and finds nothing there... no charge.

It's all pretty clearly laid out here: http://www.tvlic.co.za/tvlic/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=39&Itemid=663&lang=en - I can't understand how people keep getting it wrong.
OK the guy that I asked (A TV repair shop/installer) said it's a once-off. I'll drop in and ask him for clarification next time I'm walking past his shop, as I've been considering doing it. He charged R100 + his call out fee, it worked out about R100 more than one year of license fee.
He was correct.

Last edited:

elvis_presley

Expert Member
That once-off fee turns into a yearly fee that costs more than the license itself, because you have to prove every year that you haven't gone and slyly put the tuner back into the TV..
Oh, they also don't take your TV apart or anything - that would void the warantee... they plug the tuner holes up with an epoxy plug that you can't get out without damaging the TV. Which is why it's a quick and cheap job - the call-out is usually more expensive.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Oh, they also don't take your TV apart or anything - that would void the warantee... they plug the tuner holes up with an epoxy plug that you can't get out without damaging the TV. Which is why it's a quick and cheap job - the call-out is usually more expensive.
I'm not sure if that meets the requirements for denaturing your tv since it still has a tuner.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
He does this stuff for a living, and has been doing it for a long time; I'm assuming he knew what he was talking about.
Possibly but then again has anyone ever had an inspector come around to check? From what I've heard you stand a better chance of finding a unicorn crapping on your front lawn.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Possibly but then again has anyone ever had an inspector come around to check? From what I've heard you stand a better chance of finding a unicorn crapping on your front lawn.
That's because the unicorn needs a licence to do that.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
He said he's done this for quite a few people over the years. Surprisingly, mainly for people in retirement estates who get fed from a central feed and are therefore don't need a tuner. Those oldies are more on the ball that we think :)

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Well there's a useful article for mybb - find out what's legally required to make your TV non-license compatible...and list a few places that do it, and what it costs, in major cities

Sollie

Expert Member
Nope.

You pay a once off fee. The only time you have to pay again is if an inspector comes around and finds you've restored your tv. If he comes around and finds nothing there... no charge.

It's all pretty clearly laid out here: http://www.tvlic.co.za/tvlic/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=39&Itemid=663&lang=en - I can't understand how people keep getting it wrong.
He was correct.
http://www.tvlic.co.za/tvlic/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=39:faq-s&Itemid=663&lang=en

Q: HOW IS A TV SET “DENATURED” SO THAT A TV LICENCE IS NOT REQUIRED?

A: Removal of a television set’s "tuner" renders it incapable of receiving any TV signal and, consequently, exempt from the need to be licensed. Written notice to the SABC of such denaturing must be supported by documentary proof in the form of a letter/invoice/receipt from a reputable TV repairer or installer. A R300.00 payment must accompany such application to the SABC, after which an authorised agent will be despatched to inspect the applicant’s TV equipment. On receipt of confirmation from the agent that the applicant has NO television receiving equipment [TV set(s), VCR(s) or PC(s) fitted with a tuner card] in his/her possession, he/she will be exempted from payment of licence fees for the rest of the current licensing period. Should a licence holder thereafter require such exemption to be extended, written application by way of an affidavit confirming that the applicant still has no TV receiving equipment must be made on an annual basis three months before the end of each licence year. Should an authorised inspector visit an exempted licence holder’s premises and find that the receiving capability of his/her TV equipment has been restored, he/she becomes liable for payment of all applicable licence fees and penalties, plus a R300.00 inspection fee.
So, you pay the reputable technician to first to disable the receiver by removing it and giving you proof, then you send it to the SABC and pay them R300.

However you still have a TV licence and need to apply annually for exemption of payment supported by an affadavit. ... and you get screwed if you cheat and get caught at it. :sick:

Peps

Let's say I'm wanting to pay now, could I find a way to get rid of the penalties that have accumulated & just pay the fee itself?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
This is why I really think DTT should be encrypted. When you buy a decoder then you must get a new TV license (as all old TV licenses will be scrapped) and pay for it. If you dont get a decoder then you will no longer be expected to have a license as your TV now no longer can receive a signal. If you stop paying your license, then your smart card gets disabled. Finished and klaar.