iBurst and Linux setup

frozt01100101

When I got my iBurst I had no clue that this page had any info on getting iBurst set up on Linux, and a quick scan over what is so far on the site does not cover everything, so here I am going to write a full tutorial on how to use iBurst on Linux.

Things you will need:
* Computer (inc. keyboard, mouse and screen)
* A working Linux distribution
* An iBurst modem (I will be working through the information for desktop, USB, and PCMCIA modems)
* An ibdriver package matching your kernel (go for the 1.3.x series of drivers. If you're not sure about which kernel version driver package to get, get both)
* The Roaring Penguin package (rp-pppoe, if you can use your distros specific version, so much the better)
* Network connection (if you are setting up the desktop modem), or if you want to set up sharing of the connection and want to test whether it works
-iBurst-and-Linux-setup

Now, to start (all 'single'-quote things are command to be typed without the quotes):

1) plug everything in everywhere
2) open a terminal window
3) type 'su --login' if you are on a Red Hat based system (CentOS, Fedora, etc), or 'sudo su -' if you are on a Debian (or Debian-based) or Ubuntu system
4) you are now root
5) for people with a desktop modem, type 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up' (and follow further instructions [-]here[/-])
6) for those who are using the PCMCIA modem or the USB modem, follow these instuctions
NOTE: if your username if charlie then your home dir is at /home/charlie/your_home_dir_stuff_here

6.a) cd to whichever directory you saved the downloaded files in. If this was on your desktop, the command would be 'cd /home/charlie/Desktop'
6.b) type 'uname -r'. If you have a 2.6.20 version, use the 2.6.20 specific ibdriver package in the next step. Likewise for the 2.6.17, and for all other 2.6.x versions, use the 2.6 version.
6.c) extract the files 'tar -xvpf ./ibdriver-ver-si-on.num.ber-here.tar.gz'
6.d) cd to the newly extracted directory. It has the same name as the archive which you extracted. Thus, if you extracted ibdriver-1.3.2-linux-2.6.17.tar.gz, then the folder will be ibdriver-1.3.2-linux-2.6.17 (note that the .tar.gz is not in the folder name)
6.e) 'make'
6.f) if 6.e completed fine, then 'make install'. If it did not complete fine, drop a comment and I will try to help you

7.a) cd to the directory where the rp-pppoe file was saved after download. Again, if this was your desktop, it would be 'cd /home/charlie/Desktop'
7.b) Extract the archive 'tar -xvpf rp-pppoe-ver-si.on-here.tar.gz'
7.c) cd into the new dir 'cd rp-pppoe-ver-si.on-here'
7.d) Run the script './go' (notice the leading period, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!)
7.e) Type in all your details. when it asks about dns settings, enter 'server' (without quotes). When it asks about firewall, this depends on whether you want to share internet. If you do, say '0' for no settings
7.f) If you do want to share internet, use "firestarter". Speak to your distro's team for information on installing it or drop a comment on the page and I'll try to help

8) And this is if you are using Gnome: right-click on the taskbar, "Add to panel". Select modem lights and say add
9) To start up your connection, just click on the big button on the left side if that thing, and presto

I will try to add some things to it as soon as possible. Enjoy :D

Update 2012/04/29: Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04 DKMS driver:
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/82091?p=8153969#post8153969

Update 2014/10/15: New asic0x driver now Ubuntu Utopic Unicorn 14.10 and Trusty Tahr 14.04:
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...ian-Ubuntu?p=13748314&viewfull=1#post13748314

Last edited by a moderator:

Mental-Tree

Iburst usb modem and Linux

I know this has been discussed before and I know it is possible but I was wondering if and body knows of a simple way to get the usb modem working in Ubuntu. The only method I've come across is long and I can never get it right.

Also will iBurst ever get drivers for linux developed?

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
There used to be a sticky on this on the iburst subforum, but it's disappeared.

Connect using the ethernet port then run:

sudo pppoeconf

and fill in the details as required. I can't remember what is required, but ask - when I now use iburst, I use it through a router.

Then every time you want to use the connection:

sudo pon dsl-provider

disconnect:

sudo poff dsl-provider

(not sure if the sudo is necessary for the last two).

ambo

Expert Member
I know this has been discussed before and I know it is possible but I was wondering if and body knows of a simple way to get the usb modem working in Ubuntu. The only method I've come across is long and I can never get it right.

Also will iBurst ever get drivers for linux developed?
I have heard that someone is developing a new iBurst driver for linux. Its not someone at iBurst however.

The current setup requires you to compile the driver into the kernel and it is a fairly long and complicated process. I found that I had to try about 4 different versions of the driver before I found one that works with my specific kernel version.

If you have the choice you should rather get a desktop modem (with the Ethernet port) if you are running a non-Windows system. This is however not always practical. :whistling:

Mental-Tree

@ BigAl-sa I have the usb modem so that method is not possible.

@ambo I cant afford to buy a desktop modem :rolleyes:

@Ronald Im sure thats the same drive that I tried previously and getting it to work is mission impossible. Maybe iburst could help the guys who are developing the drivers along by providing some funding :rolleyes:

Edit: are there any routers around that support usb modems and if so has anyone here ever tried one and what was it like?

Last edited:

ambo

Expert Member
@ambo I cant afford to buy a desktop modem :rolleyes:
It was meant as a general comment, not a solution specifically for you :p

@Ronald Im sure thats the same drive that I tried previously and getting it to work is mission impossible.
Are you sure? That driver is brand new and was only written September last year. Regardt is currently using one of my modems to test it.

Was it not this one: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ibdriver/ ??

Maybe iburst could help the guys who are developing the drivers along by providing some funding :rolleyes:
I'm sure Regardt would like that ;)

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I can confirm that I have used both an iBurst desktop modem and an iBurst USB modem with a Dovado UMR router, and they work a treat.

Mental-Tree

Necroing a thread 101 :D

Just wondering if anyone has been able to get the iburst driver working on ubuntu 9.10.

I've been trying to get it right on my dads pc for the last week with no luck. The drivers over here (http://www.vdvyver.net/) havn't been updated for a while as far as I can tell so I dont think they support kernel 2.6.31 and I'm not really up to sitting and making all the changes myself because A) I dont know how and B) Linux confuses me at times.

Would any of you happen to have a working driver that I could just -make -make install?

My dad is using the new usb modem. Any help will be appreciated.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Will see if our advanced support guys can help. I have my linux server attached via ethernet.

Mental-Tree

Thanks Ronald.

I've tried to convince my dad to just buy a router but thats a no go for him :/.
The latest driver for linux should be compatible with ubuntu 9.10 but I'm just having no luck. I'm going to try the on my linux mint installation today to see if there is any change.

Mental-Tree

Still having no luck. I got it working on linux mint 7 but cant get it to work on linux mint 8 which built off of ubuntu 9.10(me thinks) If anyone has been successful in installing the usb modem on ubuntu 9.10 please share your secret.