iBurst and Linux setup

leechie

re compiling driver

Ubuntu 11.04 has Linux kernel 2.6.38, but the latest files for the ib driver project seem to be for the 2.6.36 kernel.

You may be able to download the source code and compile for your kernel version with a few modifications though.

Not likely have very little experience with linux. Might go down a version or two.
thanx for the imput.

leechie

Test app on 11.04 revealed this.

Testing your connection to the Internet:

ERROR:root:Could not find def gateway info in /proc
ERROR:root:Could not find default gateway by running route

Bluetooth seems to be disabled as well............

nextstep

There is a much easier way - simply connect the iBurst modem to a wireless router.

IMadddd

[help]USB IBURST MODEM and Kernel 2.6.38 in Ubuntu 10.04

hi i'm a new linux user and i tried installing iburst driver on ubunto it lights went on and i found the iburst process but when ever i tried to connect the whole system freeze and when i try to boot with the usb modem attached the computer stuck in an infinite loop ..
please help!
life sucks without internet !!

could it be from the MTU ?

Note i can't use and pppoe service like :

start
connect
pppoeconf <--- only freezes when it reach ib0! ..

Cheers,
IMad

Mental-Tree

Sounds like the driver that you're using isn't compatible with your kernal version. I'm afraid I can't really be of assistance because I really don't remember all the hoops I had to hop through to get my usb modem working under linux.

Avenue

Expert Member
does iburst modem work in linux

Will I be able to use the iburst modem in linux.

easily or with a bit of tweaking?

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Will I be able to use the iburst modem in linux.

easily or with a bit of tweaking?
The desktop 1Mbps and 2Mbps modems will work with any operating system over Ethernet (no drivers required).
Connecting a desktop or USB modem over USB will require drivers. There is a Linux driver, but some assembly required.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I got one to work using PPPoE. (Ethernet device).

You'll need to set the MTU manually though.

As a general rule of thumb - if it's got Ethernet, use that rather if there's no USB drivers for Linux.

McGuywer

Executive Member
I got one to work using PPPoE. (Ethernet device).

You'll need to set the MTU manually though.

As a general rule of thumb - if it's got Ethernet, use that rather if there's no USB drivers for Linux.

Yip. Rather use ethernet and you should be good to go.

ibdriver

Hi there all

I've started putting together an iBurst for UNIX project (website already up, just minimal content for now).

What I am planning on doing is hosting repositories with binary packages prebuild for the most popular GNU/Linux distro's and in time also adding a FreeBSD driver (that I may port to the other BSDs too, given time and resources).

Please feel free to pop in (URL listed below) and give feedback and ideas on how best to move this project along (all advice/suggestion's gladly accepted).
http://iburst.elementfx.com

Please note though that I am NOT forking the ibdriver project located on SourceForge, if anything this is more a companion project than anything else.

--
Ross Cameron

lelanthran

iBurst USB modem on Linux (solved)

Hello all,

This is my first post here so please forgive me for any breach of etiquette. I got the iBurst USB modem yesterday. It came with no drivers for Linux. A google search revealed the sourceforge page for ibdriver-1.3.5 (last updated in Feb-2011). I downloaded this driver and it failed to compile the pcmcia module. Since I did not need this functionality, I disabled it and recompiled, and the module installed and (now) works fine.

I put the changed (some would cry "forked!") version of ibdriver-1.3.5 up for download here, together with a self-extracting/self-installing executable. Hopefully this works for others who need it as well.

Kind Regards
Lelanthran

(PS. The download comes with the GPL still intact, plus a separate credits file detailing what I did.)

Nexus969

Hello all,

This is my first post here so please forgive me for any breach of etiquette. I got the iBurst USB modem yesterday. It came with no drivers for Linux. A google search revealed the sourceforge page for ibdriver-1.3.5 (last updated in Feb-2011). I downloaded this driver and it failed to compile the pcmcia module. Since I did not need this functionality, I disabled it and recompiled, and the module installed and (now) works fine.

I put the changed (some would cry "forked!") version of ibdriver-1.3.5 up for download here, together with a self-extracting/self-installing executable. Hopefully this works for others who need it as well.

Kind Regards
Lelanthran

(PS. The download comes with the GPL still intact, plus a separate credits file detailing what I did.)

Can you post some speed tests plz

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I've packaged ibdriver in DKMS format (meaning the driver will be automatically rebuilt when a new kernel is installed) for Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04. Get it here:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ginggs/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ibdriver-dkms

Currently, ibdriver-dkms works for USB devices only. As lelanthran found above, I had to disable the PCMCIA driver as the code needs to be updated before it will compile against newer kernels and I don't have a PCMCIA modem available for testing.

I've made the package available for Oneiric and Natty as well. I haven't tested on anything older yet.

Unfortunately, network-manager doesn't support PPPoE over wireless yet, so we'll need to use the terminal for connecting and disconnecting PPPoE.
A lot of guides recommend installing RP-PPPOE. This is not necessary, as the ppp package in Ubuntu already includes the rp-pppoe plugin.
After installing ibdriver-dkms, simply plug in the USB modem, then configure the PPPoE connection as follows:
sudo pppoeconf

and fill in the details as required. I can't remember what is required, but ask - when I now use iburst, I use it through a router.

Then every time you want to use the connection:

sudo pon dsl-provider

disconnect:

sudo poff [-]dsl-provider[/-]

(not sure if the sudo is necessary for the last two).
Sudo is not necessary for the pon and poff commands, provided the user is a member of the 'dip' (Dial-up IP) group.
To add a user to the group, do this:
Code:
sudo usermod -a -G dip <username>
Alternatively, navigate to 'Users and Groups' from the Dash and either add the user to the group, or assign the 'Connect to Internet using a modem' privilege to the user.

You can check your signal strength with the following command:
Code:
iwconfig ib0
or continuously monitor signal strength, connection activity, & ppp connection with this:
Code:
watch 'iwconfig ib0 && plog && ifconfig ppp0'

Note: iwconfig will always report zero signal strength if the interface is not 'up'. You can bring it 'up' with the following command:
Code:
sudo ifconfig ib0 up
Alternatively, bring the interface 'up' and assign it an IP address in one go:
Code:
sudo ifconfig ib0 192.168.250.1
Useful if you intend monitoring your signal with something like eyeBurst, or if you want to check if your modem is responding:
Code:
ping 192.168.250.10
'pon dsl-provider' will not connect unless the interface is 'up', so one of the commands above need to be entered before 'pon dsl-provider'.

Péter Nel has updated the Ubuntu iBurst Wiki. (2012/05/11)

Last edited:

lelanthran

New iBurst USB Driver for kernel v3.0.0 and above

Hi all

Ginggs above very helpfully provided an ubuntu package for the USB driver (thanks). If you are not running Ubuntu (or its derivatives), then note that I've made available a new driver for kernel version 3.0.0 and above (my original 'fixed' driver compiles only under the 2.6.x kernel series). You can find my (forked) drivers for both the kernel versions on my blog.

They are both simply self-extracting shell scripts that will need sudo, gcc and bash to run. Download them, change to executable and run in a terminal.

Warm Regards
Lelanthran

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
iBurst USB modem on Nexus 7 tablet running Ubuntu:
iburst-nexus7.jpg

zeek71

your assistance required pls

hi there

thanks for your posting below, however your link 5) for people with a desktop modem, type 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up' (and follow further instructions "here") is inoperable. please help as i have a desktop modem and your detailed instructions seem to be the best i've come across

thanks
chad

When I got my iBurst I had no clue that this page had any info on getting iBurst set up on Linux, and a quick scan over what is so far on the site does not cover everything, so here I am going to write a full tutorial on how to use iBurst on Linux.

Things you will need:
* Computer (inc. keyboard, mouse and screen)
* A working Linux distribution
* An iBurst modem (I will be working through the information for desktop, USB, and PCMCIA modems)
* An ibdriver package matching your kernel (go for the 1.3.x series of drivers. If you're not sure about which kernel version driver package to get, get both)
* The Roaring Penguin package (rp-pppoe, if you can use your distros specific version, so much the better)
* Network connection (if you are setting up the desktop modem), or if you want to set up sharing of the connection and want to test whether it works
-iBurst-and-Linux-setup

Now, to start (all 'single'-quote things are command to be typed without the quotes):

1) plug everything in everywhere
2) open a terminal window
3) type 'su --login' if you are on a Red Hat based system (CentOS, Fedora, etc), or 'sudo su -' if you are on a Debian (or Debian-based) or Ubuntu system
4) you are now root
5) for people with a desktop modem, type 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up' (and follow further instructions here)

Last edited by a moderator: