IBurst - Network News & Whispers 21st Jan

LoneGunman

Expert Member
the following is all rumour and hearsay.. now read on :)

As folks know, something's been screwy all day, if not for a couple of days.
I started phoning - managed to smack aside the Orcs attempts at doing the sentech thing of 'gee, everythings working fine from our end' - and first bit of info was that a number of their towers (basestations) were down for some reason..

Next bit of info is/was that not only was there some sort of problem with the network, but that some overseas guys (Japanese) who apparently were part creators of the software?network software? being used, had been called in to help rectify the unspecified problem with the network..

(At this point I got a big sense of deja vu, having heard almost exactly the same story from Sentech last year - still, I'm willing to believe it briefly - so konichiwa to the overseas visitors, if they exist, and hurry up and fix this..)

Next layer of info, according to my Orc spies, is that there's 'some sort of problem at Uunet' - which is accounting for the absence of b/w..

So currently there appears to be multiple layers of poo flying - on the one level theres something up with the network, and the secondary layer is that somethings up re the bandwidth.. (Luis, according to my spies, went to Uunet around mid afternoon, and when I checked most recently, according to the Orcs, he still wasn't back.)
Also according to my spies, I'm not the only one with bouncy bouncy signal and wildly alternating b/w..

Rule of thumb learned from sweating blood at Sentech - IBurst users, keep on phoning them and nagging them - remember, unlike Sentech, IBurst are very very aware that they're only 30 days away from losing customers, if things arent fixed or stable. So keep the pressure up and phone them at half hourly intervals and make your problems known to them. Dont be apathetic - flood them with calls when necessary. Its the only way they'll know something is wrong.. and as that glorious 30 day notice contract is dangling over their heads, they have a brilliantly serious motivation to keep us happy :)

(And by the way, anyone else noticed that today its taking the help desk a loooong time to answer the phone when one calls? Does this mean they're really busy - or understaffed or just cringing and hiding from peeved customers?

If anyone else gets bits of info on the behind-the-scenes unfolding saga, provided it doesnt compromise your IBurst spies or play into the hands of those swines who'd like to see IBurst fail, feel free to post your info in an ongoing way so that everyone gets a clearer sense of whats happening..

8pm friday night - might be speaking too soon, but there appears to be stability & b/w again.

TheYak

I heard the same thing RE UUNet...

*thwaps UUNet doods with a... wait for it... wet trout!*

:D

Ravilj

I still dont have any descent amount of bandwidth, I was clocking 980kbps when I first got Iburst at the beginning of Jan. The problem is definately not solved! I have phoned them twice now and am due to call them again at 9. Same story with the problem being on uunet side!

What is frustrating is that I have full signal registered on the modem and on the usb indicator in the taskbar but no bandwidth.

Though people havent just been experiencing problems today its been going on since the beginning of the week if not befiore!

Quite honestly this is getting a bit much, it is a major problem which is affecting everyone and they have but ONE!!!1111 techie on it! :/

Last edited:

torgo

I heard teh same, Japs are out, and my problem is in Sadnton. The answer, Sandton is the MAIN tower and they will be tomorrow to work on it.....signal is 100%!!!

However uunet must be having problems, I noticed that every weekend teh international speeds slow up!!!! Some gremlins there .... or has WBS purchased limited bandwidht from uunet!!!????

Ravilj

I just got hold of uunet to see if i could find out some info, same story as wbs, excpet they said it is a small problem :/ yeah right! From 1Mb worth of bandwidth to none is a small problem! ROFFEL!

/me gets his dial up out...
Least I get more bandwidth that way :/

LoneGunman

Expert Member
according to the Orc on duty, his supervisor is Dylan, who 'was downstairs in a meeting' - methinks climbing the ladder at this point, and asking for the supervisor, is the next step.. thereafter, its 'disturb Thami on a friday night' time perhaps.

To throw an angry cat into the pigeons - seeing as IBurst are saying 'its Uunet' - does anyone feel like phoning Uunet directly and asking them if this is true, (and if so, how come its not listed on their notice board) - and if it isnt true, then they may be interested to learn that they're being blamed for an unstable system/lack of bandwidth, which may cause Uunet to erupt and leap on IBurst (if its not true)

Ravilj

torgo said:
I heard teh same, Japs are out, and my problem is in Sadnton. The answer, Sandton is the MAIN tower and they will be tomorrow to work on it.....signal is 100%!!!

However uunet must be having problems, I noticed that every weekend teh international speeds slow up!!!! Some gremlins there .... or has WBS purchased limited bandwidht from uunet!!!????
I am also in sandton, I am like 5km from the sandton sqaure tower (I assume thats where it is). I have 100% signal but NO bandwidth, exaclty like you say.

Ravilj

LoneGunman said:
To throw an angry cat into the pigeons - seeing as IBurst are saying 'its Uunet' - does anyone feel like phoning Uunet directly and asking them if this is true, (and if so, how come its not listed on their notice board) - and if it isnt true, then they may be interested to learn that they're being blamed for an unstable system/lack of bandwidth, which may cause Uunet to erupt and leap on IBurst (if its not true)
Lol one step ahead of you, look at my above post. After some interrogating of the uunet support person, she said that they were having a small problem and that luie was there. I asked if i could speak to him but no luck there. I think he is the only person who has a answer or explanation right now :/ I did ask her to give him my details, but i seriously doubt that he will return my call :( So looks like its a mud slinging match and us the poor customers are the ones with the mud in our faces...

Harley79

same goes here. Normally have signal issues, now I have the signal and pathetic bandwidth. Telskum analogue line will be faster than what I am doing now.Sasin (CFO) will receive my modem on his door step on monday morning.

Also told me UUNET problem, so i told them well I pay you, not UUNET. btw, antenna's coming next week so I am told (yah right!)

I see 3G giving their users antenna's for free. think WBS going to do the same? Has anyone got anywhere near a 1meg connection anyway? My best is just under 300k, might as well use 3G and fall back to GPRS when 3G down, I would still get faster connection than I am getting for the last 10 days. And while it is not reliable. Seems to be more so than my current WBS connection

Now what I do? Sentech a no no, Telkom do not have copper in our area so no telecomunications lines AT ALL, so no ADSL, WBS has bad signal strength and when I get it, it is SLLLLOOOOOWWWW. Only option is to try 3G

Andre1

I am in the Northcliff Area and since Wednesday My speed is 20kbps. Even Sentech give me better speed than this. I'v phoned so-far everyday and everytime the answer is "We are aware of the problem and they are working on it as we speak"

For crying out loud, How much longer do we have to sit with this problem?

Ravilj

Apparently the Northcliff and Soweto towers are down as well :/

guest2013-1

I doubt the limited bandwidth story, according to my inside sources, WBS can handle 2000 concurrent users downloading and uploading at full speed before there should be a notice in a degrading service.

With their cap being introduced and their load balancing (routing local/international on seperate circuits, something they probably learnt from Sentech after their f@ckup) I doubt they will have bandwidth issues with around 4000 people on board.

That being said, call centre has been very slow to answer the phone, which I am NOT happy with. Even a computerized voice saying "we are aware of the problem and xyz" would be much better and field most of the calls!

And no, I'm not talking about Sentech's voice message that took a run for several months saying "our technicians is ... blablabla"

An updated message, with an ETA on when they're fixing it and what the problem is would field most calls going into call centre and free up the limited staff already answering calls to actually give support to those who need it!

Then again, I think sihen has long time giving up on this board and WBS might be pulling an exact stunt like Sentech.

WBS should be aware, because of Sentech, most of their userbase would fly the coop in event they **** up like them and not COMMUNICATE TO THEIR USERS YOU DUMB MUTHAF@CKAS!!!!

guest2013-1

Ravilj said:
Apparently the Northcliff and Soweto towers are down as well :/
I connect to northcliff, so unless you're strictly speaking international, no, they're not down

twixt

Aaargh the slow death...

Aaah well no international bandwidth... I'm off to get drunk... :) All I have to say is please let this be resolved my tomorrow - and not be the techies will take a look at it on Monday situation.

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Ravilj said:
...I assume thats where it is...
The coverage map says Sandton Towers, although I have learnt that believing coverage maps is like believing that SARS doesn't want to take all my money away from me.

twixt

To correct myself..

I've just spoken to a Wookiee - again got told the UUNet explanation - he said that their techies have told him that it will be fixed any minute now.

Anybody want to start a pool as to how many minutes in actual fact it will be? I'm going to be optimistic and take 316 minutes which at 20 to 3 in the morning.

Crash

Well... At the moment I LIVE IN ROODEPOORT, THE BLOODY TOWER IS ABOUT 2KM up the road. I SPEND MORE TIME connected to the Soweto Tower than anything else. I'd say about 75% of the time. The Roodepoort tower has been stuffing around for a month now.

Oh look Roodepoort just came up.... No went down. Whoops.

I know this cause, when roodepoort = working the signal = 90% or higher.
When my signal drops to between 40% and 10% I am connected to Soweto.

WTF... Roodepoort is flapping like a bitch.....Well at least I-bursts tower handovers work.

GRRRR.......

Harley79

I have seen a few posts about people saying they connect to this and that tower. How do you know where you connected and how do you change to another tower. Or have a missed the plot?