IBurst - Network News & Whispers 21st Jan

Mayh3m

Glad to see you guys can still actually connect. Since easrly Saturday morning I have been unable to connect.
My UTD indicates full signal - then nothing. 3 Signal - then nothing. and so on and so on.
Upon trying to contact the helpdesk, I see that they have now taken to not answering the phones. That is a great way to please your customers. - The least they could do is have a recorded message stating that their is service is crap and that they have gone home to sleep because they have no idea how to fix it. I've used I-burst probably a total of 3-5 hours in the 3 weeks that I have had it. Now I must pay for it?

Last edited:

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Mayh3m, I have EXACTLY the same problems that you describe, I coul whip out the 56K modem - I would definitely get a better internet connection at this point & speedier than Burst-i. I am not exaggerating!!! I have all the problems connecting & then when I eventually get a connection it dies, the signal disappears completely, or there is a signal (leds) but no throughput...

I have decided to call the MD of WBS tomorrow & have a long chat with him. If you want to do the same p.m. for details.

Ravilj

Yup that also sounds bout right here right now I have got the red eye with no signal than back to 100% and so it goes on, dial up would definately be faster!

ic please could you pm me the details to I would also like to have a word, though I am thinking of going into WBS tomorrow.

Bishop

As always, I seem to be on the magic, full speed, never down tower. I wish I could tell you for certain which one it was...

Saturday night my signal was bounching like a rabbit, nothing to full and then back to nothing again. Speeds were also way down and I was timing out of my online games. But by Sunday morning this had disapeared. I was running a bittorrent most of Sunday at 45 - 60 kB/s. So there does not seem to be any port shaping yet either.

guest2013-1

Bishop, me too, I connect in Bez Valley and @ home thereby Constantia Kloof (supposedly the Northcliff tower?)

To turn everyone's frown upside down, and LoneGunman can back me up on this fact, at least iBurst called in the overseas engineers 2 weeks into having problems instead of waiting several months for the users to contact their international counterpart to actually act on the situation re: Sentech.

That, my friends with slow speeds at the moment, is why I punted this service like a muthaf@cka so that we can break their **** before they even launch officially, in hopes that they can fix the problem before their launch.

Looking at Sentech and looking at iburst (and knowing they're just 30 days away from losing customers) iburst's service and reaction on it (although less desirable from the help desk side nowadays) have been impecible.

All I am waiting to see is pricing re: the cap and extra gigs.... and to see if there would be an uncapped version of their service (Seeing as UUNET is launching uncapped ADSL)

Jerry

Read this on MyADSL:

"Is 3G History? Kyocera Testing New iBurst Wireless Internet

By WBT News Desk, 19 January 2005

Kyocera is moving ahead with the testing of a new wireless technology known as iBurst. Japan's official body monitoring communications gave the green light, granting a testing permit.

Japan's Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC) has granted Kyocera a permit which allows testing of wireless stations using an experimental wireless Internet technology.

As a result, Kyocera has already installed an experimental station in its Yokohama branch, in preparation for field tests. Ultimately, two objectives are hoped to be met. Kyocera will conduct measurements of radio transmissions and ascertain the throughput characteristics of the advanced system. Also, the functionality and performance of iBurst, which is already employed in Australia, will be quantified.

iBurst technology is making companies who are actively developing 3G technology very nervous. 3G, which only recently is seeing implementation, has been advanced as the "next" wireless technology. iBurst, in a throwback to existing 2.5G technology, can extend its lifecycle, which will dramatically reduce capital spending for 3G networks.

What is appealing about iBurst, is the capacity to uphold stable, high-speed transmission across frequencies. Even if large numbers of users are connected at once, high broadband speeds can still be maintained.

iBurst provides a broadband Internet environment that enables users to receive data at a maximum rate of 1 Mbps for downlinks. Total transmission capacity within coverage areas maxes out at 24 Mbps per station.

Australia began offering the new technology in March 2004. ISP Personal Broadband Australia, first offered the service around Sydney. Implementation has been strong, resulting in expansion to coastal cities such as Melbourne and Brisbane.

The next country to set up commercial iBurst service is South Africa. The country is expected to launch service in March 2005."

Last edited:

slimothy

Banned
... stable my ass.

I have a bad feeling about all this, if WBS are acting like this now, what happens in March when more users hit the iBurst network. I'm giving it till the end of the week, if they cannot sort the problem or contact me on thier own, they can say goodbye to my money.

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Well it is sad that I have to say that 56K dial-up is in fact better than iBurst: Burst-i signal 0 - red eye of connection death all weekend & today.

Now I'm about to disconnect, but I was looking for the Dylan's post which he said he would put up on MyADSL (we spoke over the phone) - anyone else seen it?

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Dylan if you are out there, what happened to that post, or hast it not been sanctioned?