iBurst releases new ‘improved’ out-of-bundle pricing

[)roi(]

Executive Member
An increase in bandwidth prices will seldom be welcomed in broadband circles, but users are likely to respect iBurst’s decision to review their initial pricing after consumers voiced their unhappiness about it.

Not sure I understand what iBurst's justification is for increasing out of bundle bandwidth, except if they hope it will indirectly encourage customers to move to a larger bundle (unlikely), what's more likely is that some customers will jump ship.

This move in effect makes iBurst no longer attractive to me; it's not inline with recent wholesale decreases (Telkom) and retail decreases by iBurst competitors (Vodacom, MTN). In a market where broadband is widely seen as too costly this move cannot be justified.

Time to explore other options...:mad:

Last edited:

ambo

Expert Member
Within the space of less than a month iBurst has twice retracted pricing plans and made considerable changes to policies released after complaints - and in effect danced to the customers tune.

While its not the kind of price cuts one would like to receive in our horribly overpriced market - I would dare to suggest that this is really just the nature of business and the desire to make at least some profit :eek:

When compared to the likes of Telscum you have to agree that the customer centricity is decades ahead :eek:

Last edited:
F

Fudzy

Great news, and even greater news if they're using this forum as their performance yard-stick.

Chavez

How can they announce additional data (500Meg I think in regards to MTN's price cuts) and then the next month hike prices on bandwidth?

Cheers ILAG :rolleyes: ....You've lost my 9Gig account with your ridiculous company.
We've had nothing but endless problems with connectivity in Cape Town in the past week and you still deem it fit to want to increase prices. I barely get to use my full cap cause of all the connectivity issues!!!:mad:

Pilgrim

Wugger
iBurst way of thinking:

"Hi Guys! You know you pay R100 for service X. In the light of Vodacom and MTN reducing their cost for service X by up to 61% we will be increasing it by 600% to R600."

"Hmm, you seem upset. Ok, ok, lets cut the price by 500%!!! Are we not the best! That is a 500%, yup, 500% COST CUT!!!!!! WOW. Service X will only cost you R120!!. We really are the best!"

Here is what I see: "Lets up the price by 20% from R100 to R120."

Tns

Executive Member
Good move on fixing your new prices,bad timing since "other" wireless prodivers are decreasing their prices, hell even old telscum is getting cheaper than this.
R245adsl +R130isp....

zambussi

Right now the only thing keeping me with this bunch of fools is the fact that I am throttled and not cut off after hitting my cap.

If and when they stop this, they can take their inflated prices and service, and stick them in the position currently occupied by their fists !

Hark3n

This is just a clever way of playing with the minds of consumers.

First they tell you they're gonna raise the price by X%. Then after everyone kicks and screams because it's ridiculous they say "OK, we'll just raise it by X*0.2%". They can then tell everyone that they actually decided to "drop" the price.

It's like the man in the pit story. For every 2 feet that he climbs, he slide back by 1.

RVFmal

Expert Member
An increase in bandwidth prices will seldom be welcomed in broadband circles, but users are likely to respect iBurst’s decision to review their initial pricing after consumers voiced their unhappiness about it.

I cannot agree with this statement. Why should one respect a company who blatantly attempted to inflate their rates by exorbitant margins and only reduced these after consumers had to send angry e-mails and post their displeasure on a public forum?

Their actions should be treated with contempt as they have no respect for the consumer.

The reality still remains that, even though all around them are dropping their rates, they are the ONLY provider to have INCREASED theirs. How is this going to appease any current or attract any future clients?

iBurst have committed a serious faux pax here and have seriously damaged their reputation (along with the shoddy sales and support "services"). No amount of glossing over the facts with nicely worded press releases will change this.

I for one am glad that Ed Hall saw what was coming and opted to move on in his career instead of having to try and clean up this mess.

As previously stated, we will be moving to another provider in the VERY near future as it will take a substantial shift in policy for us to continue with your b#llsh!t product and policies.

Johnn0

How can VC and MTN reduce their prices and iBurst increase, surely that does not make business sense? MTN & VC have much greater coverage than iBurst, so wouldn't it make more sense to drop prices?

Alkazar

iBurst have been very sneaky and this will most probably succeed with a lot of iBurst subscribers.

iBurst decides that they want to increase out-of-bundle data prices (they have to compensate for the very generous 500 MB of extra data given free to all subscribers) and put into place a two pronged attack on their clients.

1) Let's try to get away with increasing our out-of-bundle prices to the same ridiculous levels as the cell phone companies - if the backlash is small enough to handle we'll keep those prices and really make a killing

2) If the backlash is too big then we only increase our prices by a lesser amount. Our clients will be so relieved that we have drastically dropped the amount of the increase that they will be more than happy to accept the lower increase. (Lower increase - two words that should never appear together) We won't make such a big killing but we will still make a killing and most of our clients will actually thank us for stealing their money.

Great strategy - if not for the fact that it's daylight robbery!

bullfrog

Expert Member
iBurst way of thinking:

"Hi Guys! You know you pay R100 for service X. In the light of Vodacom and MTN reducing their cost for service X by up to 61% we will be increasing it by 600% to R600."

"Hmm, you seem upset. Ok, ok, lets cut the price by 500%!!! Are we not the best! That is a 500%, yup, 500% COST CUT!!!!!! WOW. Service X will only cost you R120!!. We really are the best!"

Here is what I see: "Lets up the price by 20% from R100 to R120."

Sorry for the bit of off topic.

If you cut a price by 100% you are giving it away free. Anything more and you're paying someone to use your service ;)

100% of R600 = R600
500% of R600 = R3000

Now if you cut a price of R600 by 500% then you'd be paying R600 - R3000 = -R2400.

To get from R600 to R120 it would be a 80% drop ;)

GavinMannion

Executive Member
iBurst is the only ISP on the planet increasing bandwidth prices.....

What am I missing?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
iBurst however said that the “Booster Bandwidth pricing that was communicated to our channel partners, was sent out prematurely. The final decision on top up pricing had not been made yet.”
10 of 10 on the weasel scale - you put it out there to see if you could get away with it.
iBurst is the only ISP on the planet increasing bandwidth prices.....

What am I missing?
If you're an iBurst customer hopefully not lubrication.

ambo

Expert Member
What am I missing?
The fact that it is only the booster bundles being increased. There has been a reduction in contact prices - and as of the first the m2m are also being reduced albeit by a small amount...

Carry over has also been introduced so there is no need to get a add-on bundle to get the advantage of a carry over. With a little careful planning - most users will have a cheaper bill or more bandwidth available at the end of the day.

Arw3n

The fact that it is only the booster bundles being increased. There has been a reduction in contact prices - and as of the first the m2m are also being reduced albeit by a small amount...

Carry over has also been introduced so there is no need to get a add-on bundle to get the advantage of a carry over. With a little careful planning - most users will have a cheaper bill or more bandwidth available at the end of the day.

This is my thought exactly. I dont even use the full 3 Gig per month and the fact that it carries over now is really nice for me. They are the only ISP that offer this, cause at VC MTN and Telk0m they don't. I have never had to buy out of bundle data, and for now this is working out cheaper for me with the extra BW and the carry over.

DraK

iBurst increasing prices.... guess they have to pay for all that advertising and not attracting new customers cos they still expensive!!

Come on iBurst, everyone else is decreasing pricing yet you still increasing? Glad i applied for ADSL... not gonna waste my money on a company that has no intention of improving service levels or packages....