iBurst switching to LTE-Advanced – The details

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
iBurst switching to LTE-Advanced – The details

iBurst recently informed customers it had started the process of decommissioning its network to make way for super-fast LTE-A.

The new network will replace the existing iBurst network as part of a move by Multisource – which acquired iBurst parent WBS in 2015 – to create a new LTE-A national network.

Thor

Honorary Master
“The new LTE-A technology will initially be accessible to iBurst customers within available coverage areas. They will receive pre-launch rates through an LTE-A enrollment initiative, the deadline for which has been extended to 31 March 2017.”

I hope this does not become a fibrehood scenario where they only roll out in lanie areas because then this new LTE network doesnt really mean much in terms of accessible broadband in SA.

Give me a company that is committed to switching townships and rural areas online. Those are the people that needs access to information the most.

ponder

Honorary Master
Give me a company that is committed to switching townships and rural areas online. Those are the people that needs access to information the most.
Are those people prepared to pay the going rate? If I'm to rollout something like this I would look at areas where a get a quick roi.

Thor

Honorary Master
Are those people prepared to pay the going rate? If I'm to rollout something like this I would look at areas where a get a quick roi.
That is where I differ. Broadband should not be a milking business it should be a utility like water and electricity. You want South Africa to move forward, then empower it's people with access to knowledge.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
That is where I differ. Broadband should not be a milking business it should be a utility like water and electricity. You want South Africa to move forward, then empower it's people with access to knowledge.
It is a utility already for 2 companies offering broadband - have you seen the meagre profits of Telkom and Cell C?

Thor

Honorary Master
It is a utility already for 2 companies offering broadband - have you seen the meagre profits of Telkom and Cell C?
You don't understand.

Broadband should be a subsidized utility it should under no circumstances be a profit maker. Broadband must be the enabler and SaaS and the likes can take of in SA.

It should be viewed in the same light as electricity.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
What is the pricing for their LTE fun stuff? :confused: :erm:

I give them an F for FAIL.

They already should have the pricing available on their website, so that their existing customers can plan ahead.

sajunky

Honorary Master
You don't understand.

Broadband should be a subsidized utility it should under no circumstances be a profit maker. Broadband must be the enabler and SaaS and the likes can take of in SA.

Anything using the most valuable radio spectrum (up to 4GHz) should under no circumstances be a profit maker. This including TTV and other public broadcasters, so no to encryption, etc.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
What is the pricing for their LTE fun stuff? :confused: :erm:

I give them an F for FAIL.

They already should have the pricing available on their website, so that their existing customers can plan ahead.
If you log in, you should be able to see the new LTE-A pricing.

TheRoDent

Expert Member
You don't understand.

I think that you have a complete disillusion as to what the costs of providing broadband is.

Do you think Eskom doesn't make a profit ? Do you think that there is no profit made by the guy that installs a new cable, or transformer for Eskom? How do you think Eskom has to recoup these costs ?

Do you think SaaS, or google, or any other internet company would have a business without a utility supplying the service to their customer? It's like saying a farmer shouldn't make profit out of a cow, only the butcher and Pick 'n Pay can...

The same applies for broadband. It's a free market economy. Supply, demand, and profit is what drives industry. Take that away and what you end up with is a useless utility that's incapable or willing to supply service. Just think back about Telkom 20 years ago.

With regards to "subsidized" utilities, I'm sure you'd love to pay more tax, to subsidize Broadband. Just like we've been doing for years with Eskom.

Think about what you're saying and you'll realize that the free market, and profit has brought more Broadband to South Africa than any "subsidized utility" or other scheme to make Broadband free.

Last edited:

Thor

Honorary Master
I think that you have a complete disillusion as to what the costs of providing broadband is.

Do you think Eskom doesn't make a profit ? Do you think that there is no profit made by the guy that installs a new cable, or transformer for Eskom? How do you think Eskom has to recoup these costs ?

Do you think SaaS, or google, or any other internet company would have a business without a utility supplying the service to their customer? It's like saying a farmer shouldn't make profit out of a cow, only the butcher and Pick 'n Pay can...

The same applies for broadband. It's a free market economy. Supply, demand, and profit is what drives industry. Take that away and what you end up with is a useless utility that's incapable or willing to supply service. Just think back about Telkom 20 years ago.

With regards to "subsidized" utilities, I'm sure you'd love to pay more tax, to subsidize Broadband. Just like we've been doing for years with Eskom.

Think about what you're saying and you'll realize that the free market, and profit has brought more Broadband to South Africa than any "subsidized utility" or other scheme to make Broadband free.
Your short sighted. Your living in the now. It's the wrong mentality.

Eskom will die, renewables and other forms of electricity will take over.

Data will will be seamless everywhere 1 Identification document all in one access to everything.

TheRoDent

Expert Member

Data will will be seamless everywhere 1 Identification document all in one access to everything.
You are deluded and/or high.

Whether it's name is Eskom, and whether the energy comes from renewables (like solar panels, wind) there is still a utility to be run. Solar panels to be maintained, an electricity grid to be built, and transformers and grid-tie points to be completed.

All of these things in a "utility" carries a cost and organisation. Just like your packet making it to google.com carries a cost. A utility might be a utility but it is certainly not "virtual" and cannot be made out of nothing.

Data will only be seamless everywhere if people like me (just like plumbers and electricians) keep on deploying, inventing and maintaining infrastructure.

Engineers have families, costs, and just like you, wherever you work, there is a cost, caused by the very nature of your labour.

The most "virtual" of utilities is the banking and financial industry, where no product or utility of tangible nature is actually delivered.

Just go do an analysis of your favourite unit trust composition, and you'll realise that there is a lot more brick and mortar behind it than you think. :)

Last edited:

TheRoDent

Expert Member

Oh, and also: You're not Your.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Sound like they will die to be replaced by for profit utilities, yet you are against this for profit things :crylaugh:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Anything using the most valuable radio spectrum (up to 4GHz) should under no circumstances be a profit maker. This including TTV and other public broadcasters, so no to encryption, etc.
So state run or controlled? Imagine if the SA cellular network was state run, we'd probably have to be happy with 3G, at most HSDPA in some select areas.

Hell, don't really have to imagine, just look at Telkom 15 years ago. It was so bad the MyADSL website got founded. 3GB of data per month was more than enough for anyone according to Telkom.

Why not just let the state take over everything and enjoy your communist heaven?

sajunky

Honorary Master
So state run or controlled? Imagine if the SA cellular network was state run, we'd probably have to be happy with 3G, at most HSDPA in some select areas.

Hell, don't really have to imagine, just look at Telkom 15 years ago. It was so bad the MyADSL website got founded. 3GB of data per month was more than enough for anyone according to Telkom.

Why not just let the state take over everything and enjoy your communist heaven?
You contradict yourself. Telkom is still state controlled enterprise. Telkom network grows very fast and Telkom offer the latest technology for everybody, not only to the existing customers (like Burst). On the other side iBurst is a private entity on the verge of losing spectrum for not delivering technology it was licenced for.

w!shfulth!nk!ng

Oh, and also: You're not Your.
If you want to nitpick :p
Whether it's name is Eskom, ...
then "it's" should be "its", as "it's" becomes "it is" and doesn't make sense in this context .. though I'm sure you prob. knew that, but simply rushed to respond? Though, I agree with you - I hate seeing things like "you" and "you're" mixed-up.

Imagine if the SA cellular network was state run, we'd probably have to be happy with 3G, at most HSDPA in some select areas.
Funnily enough, in this latest episode - TM84 http://www.natelanxon.com/podcast/ - they briefly discuss the fact that 4G in the UK has become congested enough for them to (occasionally) switch to 3G as no-one is (or very few are) using it there anymore !