iBurst taught me a lesson I won't forget

mrvanv

The 087 VOIP call quality to their so-called help desk is atrocious. Can they not afford a good old fashioned 0800 Telkom number? ;-)

087 numbers are not premium rated numbers. They are assigned to various companies offering voip services. I have an 087 number as well as an 021 number from a voip provider. Calls to these numbers are charged at standard rates and if you have free minutes on your cellphone, then the calls should be free. If your cellular provider is not using your free minutes when connecting your call to an 087 number, you should contact them to find out why.

From Telkoms website:
http://www.telkom.co.za/common/pric...ll_charges_from_licence_operators_offnet.html
http://www.telkom.co.za/common/pricelist/prices/local/custtomer_to_automatic_exh.html

Calls from Telkom to WBS(iBurst) number range 087 720/722 are charged at R0.01786 per second during normal time and R0.01102 per second during callmore time with a minimum charge of R0.65.

Please show me where you were charged R2/min. I cannot understand the amount of misconception there is with regard to 087 numbers.

087 numbers are not automatically premium rated calls

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
The call cost is bit a single issue that Donn has with iBurst that you have jumped upon to push the 087 issue. Why not start a separate thread on the misconceptions regarding call costs to 087 numbers as it will get lost in the iBurst thread?

It is an important issue as the call charges mentioned is not iBurst's problem as we cannot determine another operator's margin. In the example provided it was claimed that the MTN charges are R3.34 per minute??? From MTN to iBurst the charges for the interconnect are the same as that for Telkom which is 36c off peak and 50c peak per minute. iBurst maintains one of the lowest interconnect charges for a wireless operator.
Additionally, all calls within the iBurst network are free. If subscribers do not want to make use of that then it is their choice because if tthis route is followed then calls to the help desk are free. In additional, we plan to release iCall Starter which is a free VAS to any iBurst subscriber which will provide a VoIP number with free incoming and onnet calls but require a topup to make offnet calls.

Last edited:

MickeyD

RIP
It is an important issue as the call charges mentioned is not iBurst's problem as we cannot determine another operator's margin. In the example provided it was claimed that the MTN charges are R3.34 per minute??? From MTN to iBurst the charges for the interconnect are the same as that for Telkom which is 36c off peak and 50c peak per minute. iBurst maintains one of the lowest interconnect charges for a wireless operator.
Additionally, all calls within the iBurst network are free. If subscribers do not want to make use of that then it is their choice because if tthis route is followed then calls to the help desk are free. In additional, we plan to release iCall Starter which is a free VAS to any iBurst subscriber which will provide a VoIP number with free incoming and onnet calls but require a topup to make offnet calls.

I agree with you that the call costs to your helpdesk is important, however the thread was in danger of becoming a solely 087 issue.

Thanks for the clarification.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
a) Has been fixed. Eventually, after 3 months, countless unanswered emails, phone calls, blog posts, twitter posts, and Facebook messages. And the CEO is still blissfully unaware of the ruckus, or just couldn't be bothered to call and apologise. That's a job for minions, obviously.

b) This is "under development". Yeah right. Internet Solutions had this facility in 1996. And theirs actually worked.

c) How about just a Skype number? Or a Google Talk number? and/or a facility (like Telkom has) where they will call you back when you get to the front of the queue? Dial 0800-375375 to see how this works. I asked a support technician to call me back. He got someone else to call back a week later.

d) and e) Nothing has been done. Nothing is planned. We'll just have to wait for their CEO to do his job and visit his own web site, or read my blog. Of course he wouldn't ever admit to doing either.

f) The security problem has not been fixed. File sharing is open to all worms and viruses in the iBurst subnet, unless you specifically disabled it.

a) I have requested the customer services manager to provide feedback and will do so by Friday. Please PM me your account details so the we are able to verify this against our records.

b) I have commited to having this done.

c) Although the skype and google ideas are good they have practical implementation issues. The matter about the call charges have been discussed elsewhere in this thread.

d) Customer services have commited to making new videos for loading onto the web site. Additionally, I have requested a new dialer application but the perception is that the subscribers do not need it. Please email twitter@iburstgroup.co.za requesting a better dialer and user interface.

e) iBurst has choosen to provide coverage maps and not disclose the location of their towers. I don't believe the other operators do either?

f) File sharing is not iBurst's security problem as this is the default behaviour of the operating system. If the idea is for the dialer to disable this please email the idea through to twitter@iburstgroup.co.za

Finally, can I please request the you remove the iBurst logo from your blog unless you have consent for its use. Please email twitter@iburstgroup.co.za to request consent.

Last edited:

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
The 087 VOIP call quality to their so-called help desk is atrocious. Can they not afford a good old fashioned 0800 Telkom number? ;-)

The average call quality measurement which I have just checked is MOS 4.3 I doubt that is atrocious?

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
The installation of the iBurst dial-up connections enables File and Printer sharing by default. That is third party software and has nothing to do with the operating system.

If you are happy with your security then so are the bad guys.

I beleve that the operating system vendor has a number of appropriate solutions, e.g. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298804 Additionally, there are measures within our services control environment to prevent attacks over RPC, NetBIOS, AD and shares.

ExSalesman

We'll just have to wait for their CEO to do his job and visit his own web site, or read my blog. Of course he wouldn't ever admit to doing either.

The previous CEO did spend a lot of time interacting on this forum and other blogs but left iBurst suddenly a few months ago. Ever since customer support seems to take a back seat, here for example.

The new CEO would never stoop so low to actually read anything by consumers, let alone responding to it, nor any of the management team left.

eltherza

Expert Member
The previous CEO did spend a lot of time interacting on this forum and other blogs but left iBurst suddenly a few months ago. Ever since customer support seems to take a back seat, here for example.

The new CEO would never stoop so low to actually read anything by consumers, let alone responding to it, nor any of the management team left.

I personally believe that the CEO should not be doing support queries and monitoring his support channels. His job is to lead and guide the company to success. Trust and a good team are needed. If the CEO doesn't trust the support, he should have fired them and hired people who he can trust to do the job.

Markd

Expert Member
I personally believe that the CEO should not be doing support queries and monitoring his support channels. His job is to lead and guide the company to success. Trust and a good team are needed. If the CEO doesn't trust the support, he should have fired them and hired people who he can trust to do the job.

I have to agree to a point. This is probably why the previous CEO ended up having quite a hard time on the forums at times. You answer one query, and everyone wants to know the answer to every query they have. Surely a CEO should be using his time better, like for example, directing the Support Executive to increase customer satisfaction in some measureable way. Even then though, not everyone is going to be happy.

None of this excuses any of the shoddy service that Don or others receive and have received in the past, but if we're going to get all pissy, lets at least not set our own expectations unrealistically. That would be just a pointless additional self-created frustration.