ICASA breaks silence on iBurst equipment seizure

techead

Honorary Master
WBS have deep pockets... very deep... and if they need to fork out to get things back up and running, they will. Its the BIG FINGER to ICASA which is what they after.

daveza

Honorary Master
WBS have deep pockets... very deep... and if they need to fork out to get things back up and running, they will.

Then why not pay the outstanding fees and stop pissing off their clients ?

techead

Honorary Master
Then why not pay the outstanding fees and stop pissing off their clients ?

/tinfoil hat

honestly? I have no idea. But I would not be surprised at all if somehow iBurst are in bed with ICASA on some level... Then things went sour and now ICASA are on their case.

Nessie

WBS knew for years they should be paying the license fees like any other operator but always relied on Thami Mtshali's relationship with the ICASA chairman to avoid paying it. When the chairman lost his powers, the councilors could start doing their jobs and one of the long outstanding issues was the tens of millions owned by WBS. Over 100 million by now, if reports are correct.

Not paying fees means your product has an unfair advantage when every other network operator must pay and add it to their costs.

Not applying for spectrum means your illegal links interfere with other paying network providers and their customers suffer.

This is why ICASA will, and should, seize any equipment used to operate illegal links.

Nessie

iBurst is yet to make a cent of profit. Some of the shareholders have deep pockets but will they put more money into a lost case? Would you put a hundred million of your own money into iBurst?

savage

Expert Member
Anyone remember how iBurst went after WISPs some years ago, claiming that they interfere with iBurst signals? I recall ICASA taking down WISP equipment as well due to iBurst's complaints...

What comes arround, goes arround my friend. They got EXACTLY what they deserved. Pay your license fees, and go play nicely like everyone else does....

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
iBurst is yet to make a cent of profit. Some of the shareholders have deep pockets but will they put more money into a lost case? Would you put a hundred million of your own money into iBurst?

Nah... I think the time has come for a funeral.

iBurst was a good solution, it was solid and worked quite well (if you had a good signal).

Rahl

The story might have a few twists in it yet, but if you were stealing (i.e. using spectrum you weren't paying for) you cant really go cry foul when the other party claims their dues as is their right.

Yes it affects their clients and their clients clients etc, but that's the risk you take in using any service provider. Learn your lesson and find another solution if you don't like what you see.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Hmmmmm more interesting is I see user avatars when not logged in?!?!

Electron1

Expert Member
snip ...This is why ICASA will, and should, seize any equipment used to operate illegal links.
Agreed - ICASA is a regulator and should be dealing withall parties in the same manner.
Anyone remember how iBurst went after WISPs some years ago, claiming that they interfere with iBurst signals? I recall ICASA taking down WISP equipment as well due to iBurst's complaints...

What comes arround, goes arround my friend. They got EXACTLY what they deserved. Pay your license fees, and go play nicely like everyone else does....
Agreed too. iBurst deserved the tough action. Their users did not.
ICASA probably will never explain why it has taken them so long to acknowledge that they did confiscate the equipment leading to the outage. Also wont explain why they did not go public with their court order.

Anyone using the iBurst services should drop them like a burning coal, before they get burned. Pity that the whole saga has been downplayed or ignored by the major media. I feel sorry for the average iBurst user who still has no idea of what is going on.

Arthur

Honorary Master
As an aside, not paying spectrum fees is not the same as stealing, as averred above. Neither the State nor ICASA own the spectrum, and we should vigorously resist any attempts they make to assert ownership. The spectrum is common patrimony not subject to ownership, and hence words/concepts like theft and stealing don't apply and should be avoided lest we cede too much to Caesar.

Tax, perhaps. Admin fees, maybe.

Peon

Expert Member
What still makes me nervous is that they 'walked into a datacentre'. High end security and confined access? "Its ok, we from icasa".

What if he pulled out the wrong switch? Does this mean I can masquerade as an icasa councilor, walk into a datacentre and plug my usb-hdd into a server and steal data?

froot

Honorary Master
As an aside, not paying spectrum fees is not the same as stealing, as averred above. Neither the State nor ICASA own the spectrum, and we should vigorously resist any attempts they make to assert ownership. The spectrum is common patrimony not subject to ownership, and hence words/concepts like theft and stealing don't apply and should be avoided lest we cede too much to Caesar.

Tax, perhaps. Admin fees, maybe.

The use of the radio frequency spectrum is regulated in South Africa by law and not paying the license fees for said spectrum while using the radio frequency spectrum is indeed theft, although a more accurate term would be illegal, and in contravention of the Electronic Communications Act of 2005 and the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa Act of 2000.

daveza

Honorary Master
What still makes me nervous is that they 'walked into a datacentre'. High end security and confined access? "Its ok, we from icasa".

I very much doubt that's the way it happened.

The Data centre is under strict access control, the server racks are locked and a sheriff of the court would not even know where to start.

Someone who knew their oats was also present - either from iBurst, or from Icasa.