Icasa clears the way for 10-digit phone dialling

Good to know they're focusing on the important issues, like regulating the number of digits needed to dial to order pizza, and not the meaningless inconsequential and trivial matters of regulating monopolistic behaviour, price gouging and reducing communication costs for South Africans.

Just amazes me...

Skip said:
Good to know they're focusing on the important issues, like regulating the number of digits needed to dial to order pizza, and not the meaningless inconsequential and trivial matters of regulating monopolistic behaviour, price gouging and reducing communication costs for South Africans.

Doesn't it just amaze you how this issue isn't imminent - now they can give specific time periods when these changes will take place.......:confused:

I might be wrong but was there not talk of the 10 digit dailing being imminent back in 2002?
Which means imminent = 4 years.

So now we have a timeframe for imminent...

ronan73 said:
I might be wrong but was there not talk of the 10 digit dailing being imminent back in 2002?
Which means imminent = 4 years.

So imminent = 4 years. :rolleyes:

Waste of time.ffs fix up the more important things first.It makes no difference to consumers and the general public if we dial an extra 3 numbers.....

If Telkom is to enjoy a surge in demand for fixed line phones

Do they know something we as public don't?

Icasa needs to make room for new competitors.
You mean they actually doing something? while they at it maybe force telkom to lower their prices please?

Which means imminent = 4 years <now this depends if it's general maths or telkom maths

Tns said:
Do they know something we as public don't?

You mean they actually doing something? while they at it maybe force telkom to lower their prices please?

Which means imminent = 4 years <now this depends if it's general maths or telkom maths

No, its chinese maths... :D

i dont see what the big deal is? with cellphones its already like that? why havent they done this a long time ago?

Skip said:
lol ja it really messes up my budget having to press 3 more buttons when i call my friends :(

albert123 said:
i dont see what the big deal is? with cellphones its already like that? why havent they done this a long time ago?
IMO its not a big deal - just the shocking length of time its taken to implement it.

pending since 2001, LOLzzz

Icasa trying to get mileage, nothing to see here, move along pls :)

Setting the pace?

I sincerely hope this isn't ICASA / DoC's collaborative effort to benchmark for:
1) LLU
2) Opening the ICT Market for Free Competition
3) World Cup 2010 preparations (remember most if not all major work has to be in place for the Confederations Cup 'Dress Rehersal' in 2009)

4 years to finally give firm deadlines on something that requires little adjustment / work to be done / infrastructure to be upgraded or changed in any significant way ... except maybe Alarm Companies to ensure criminals don't take advantage of slow adopters :cool:

It's like the 'Oh so importance' of Name Changing ... As if a street, or airport being called something else is going to reduce the rate of unemployment, the rising levels of crime and corruption and finally bring about affordable telecoms backed by decent service and concern for consumerism in South Africa.

There's a time and place for everything, but I'm beginning to wonder if 12 years down the line - hasn't been enough to belabour past transgressions and failure to properly honour fallen heroes? Isn't it better to focus on the future and worry about those of us living in the 'here and now' and to make a better place for our children? Or is that also imminent? Maybe in the next decade we'll get our act together and start looking to the future and progress will finally start to manifest.

I was thinking along similar lines LLG.

If it takes 4 years to actually do something that is both needed and sanctioned by Telkom, just imagine how long it will take to do something that Telkom dont agree to, like adsl pricing, caps, etc.:eek:

Theres one date they cant change, postpone, delcare imminent though, and thats the 2010 date.

It is actually quite hilarious to think that it took 4 years to implement this mundane task. Just imagine how long it could take to get other 'more complicated' tasks done.. Like LLU. Mindboggling :eek:

Back