ICASA releases high-demand spectrum for lockdown

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
ICASA releases high-demand spectrum for lockdown

ICASA has announced it will release emergency spectrum to meet the spike in broadband services demand due to the COVID-19 coronavirus lockdown.

This spectrum will be released for the duration of the national state of disaster and is expected to ease network congestion, maintain a good quality of broadband services, and enable licensees to lower the cost of access to consumers.

Ferdig

I fully expect this to kick in only when the lockdown gets lifted and that it will then result in even more sheety internet.
Rain will probably immediately fold in terms of ACTUALLY connecting with the internet on 5G

phly

Expert Member
I was going to say FINALLY!! But there is always a certain "gotcha" somewhere in the fine print. Will we see increased speeds as a result of this? Will limited uncapped become fully uncapped?? As godd of a news as it is. How will it affect me as a loyal paying citizen wanting fast uncapped LTE?? So many questions.

PHeX

I thought 700Mh is currently being used for analog TV. How will both TV and mobile operators use the same spectrum? I stand to be corrected.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I thought 700Mh is currently being used for analog TV. How will both TV and mobile operators use the same spectrum? I stand to be corrected.

There are some "gaps" and there are areas where this band can be used because the analogue transmitters have already been shut down (with no public fanfare and hype).

chakniks

A nice gesture.
Sad that this is only happening because of COVID.
This just goes to show that spectrum could have actually been allocated several years back.
Lets see how it all plays out in reality...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No that is not it. This whole Covid-19 thing is turning into a pissing contest between govt departments and some state institutions. All suffering from FOMO.

kabusi

Expert Member
A nice gesture.
Sad that this is only happening because of COVID.
This just goes to show that spectrum could have actually been allocated several years back.
Lets see how it all plays out in reality...
I was wondering the same thing.
Why only now?
Why can they not continue going forward maybe at a higher premium?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Fortunately, "possession is nine tenth's of the law" will apply, and I can see a real fight breaking out when they try and take away the spectrum again.

kabusi

Expert Member
Fortunately, "possession is nine tenth's of the law" will apply, and I can see a real fight breaking out when they try and take away the spectrum again.
For the consumers sake I hope so.