ICASA says SA Post Office must deliver parcels under 1kg, just not food

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
I do not expect much from the couriers though. If the laws are changed, they will simply fall in and do as prescribed by the law. Their battle should now be in courts to get this act choked.
I sincerely hope they will, as it is their business that is getting shafted.

WollieVerstege

There are 2 parts to the law in question. It must be less than 1kg AND be smaller than a certain size. So if you simply use a larger envelope, the courier companies can still deliver it.

This is how FedEx, UPS etc got around this exact same law in the US.

Corelli

Expert Member
This was low before. I dont see why the problem now.

Maybe Fedex or DHL or Postnet can just buy the Post Office, or take a majority stake in it.

Hapenned with Segway Scooters. Some Chinese company started making the fakes, make 20x more than the original company. Segway sued them, the Chinese company just bought out the majority shares and cancelled the lawsuit.

Danie_V

Fact is the law is pretty out of date now that we have food deliveries etc. I suppose "we the people" can license more carriers or can have the law changed.... Or the Post Office can be ruled as incapable and they lose their license.

Corelli

Expert Member
I think the brick business of 1kg and 500g bricks will make a huge profit now.

Or the painted rocks business.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
How is this a constitutionally justifiable monopoly? If anything making it a monopoly will be unconstitutional as it will end up being run like a ****.

wizardofid

Executive Member
This was low before. I dont see why the problem now.

Maybe Fedex or DHL or Postnet can just buy the Post Office, or take a majority stake in it.

Hapenned with Segway Scooters. Some Chinese company started making the fakes, make 20x more than the original company. Segway sued them, the Chinese company just bought out the majority shares and cancelled the lawsuit.
Well technically having read the law as part of being the master for a postal agency that I ran, there is a postal license that needs to be applied for, much like any other commercial license if required, post office isnt excluded and need to apply every time it expires, it doesnt actually specify only the post office can apply for such license technically any one can apply for such a license, if I remember correctly.

The problem with that however is it will most likely be denied, due to not being incompliance with the law.You would require to have a postal office in pretty much most areas exceeding 5000+- people, quite often would require several post office per town.

You would need to deliver mail among other things, so you would need to have infrastructure already in place.You also have a time limit on domestic mail how long before it must be delivered.

That said the post office is not in compliance with the law and haven't been for many, many years and do get fined every time for breaking the postal act, but due to being only that can do even if the fail at it any ways, there license just get rubber stamped each time they renew it. Technically any one could apply for a postal license and the post office can have its license revoked. So it is slightly more complicated and sort of a catch 22 and egg before the chicken.

Theoretically you could set up a postal network on a provincial level quickly enough if they would allow it and work from there to cover the rest, but the overall costs would probably exceed 50-60 billion to get a national network up any running within a year. Considering the post office grew with the country and population for a few 100 years, the current post office is only 29 years old but the first postal service started in 1792 in cape town.

Wiki does mention post office being the only legally allowed entity to handle reserved mail, which is true, but far as I know the license isnt restricted to just the post office but I might be reading it wrong but that is what I could remember many years back when I read the postal act.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
So is the Post Office also going to moan about not having the mythical creature known as "Spectrum"

"Eh, sorry we stole your package cause we have no spectrum"

*ICASA liked this

neoprema

Expert Member
Another problem - bank cards are under 1KG... wait till you see how the gonna be getting stolen all over the place.

I'm gonna ask my banker to suggest they ship the bank cards with an additional 950g of sand.