ICASA shuts down illegal radio station

Comin' down hard on the little guy. The conditions for community radio do seem harsh, if they're accurately reported. :mad:

Little guys don't have big legal departments like ,er, Telkom.

Q: do varsity radio stations have (or legally require) licenses? If so what sort of cost do they come in at?

edit: R1mil / day, nice. They should fine Telkom a 'proportional' amount daily for being in breach of the ADSL regulations as stipulated by ICASA themselves. Thats only fair.
2 types of law in this country, one for the rich and one for the poor.

Last edited:
Community radio should be free and unlicensed. But like everything else in this country it is not.

Smooth ICASA, now everyone believes you're doing your job.
*Not*

Typical ICASA... "saving" us from having to listen to a community radio station, but helping Telkom and cell phone companies to ream us for years at a time.

ICASA knows who are lining their pockets and will guarantee them nice tickets for 2010 thus the inaction on Telkom.

What harm are such radio stations causing? Compare that with what Telkom's effect is on the country... why take down a radio station that barely does anything bad and not help the WHOLE COUNTRY by confronting Telkom? ICASA, you make me sigh. :(

4 more years then I'm out of the country :D

What harm are such radio stations causing? Compare that with what Telkom's effect is on the country... why take down a radio station that barely does anything bad and not help the WHOLE COUNTRY by confronting Telkom? ICASA, you make me sigh. :(

4 more years then I'm out of the country :D

Exactly, I spoke to this chap online and I*K*A*K*A send 5 armed cops round to his house, but they do f-all to the biggest criminals in the country: TELKOM.

Way to go ICASA, jeep the vibe alive RADIO X!

Little guys don't have big legal departments like ,er, Telkom.
edit: R1mil / day, nice. They should fine Telkom a 'proportional' amount daily for being in breach of the ADSL regulations as stipulated by ICASA themselves. Thats only fair.
2 types of law in this country, one for the rich and one for the poor.
Yep, that was my first thought when I read the R1 million per day fine for RadioX, IncompetentCASA cripples itself in order to live in Telkodemonopolies' back pocket along with the DoC & her Poisonous Ivyness & Llyndal Shope-Mafole :mad:.
/me waits for the Captain to chip in.
LOL, I remember le wifi capitaine was quite ardent about the impact, of Telkodemonopolies having just [on that very day 2005-11-01] taken away uncapped local SAIX-ADSL and the whole pay-per-GB ripoff, on online radio stations, at last year's MyADSL Conference...:)

Surely RadioX should just move to broadcasting [streaming] over a community wifi network...?

What about broadcasting a radio station on the web, do you need a licence for that?

What about broadcasting a radio station on the web, do you need a licence for that?

That im sure will cost more in bandwidth costs than what ICASA want to charge u for a license. No matter what u do in this country Telkoms ready and waiting to screw u over.:sick:

In an interview with Mr. Spencer, the founder of RadioX stated that his reason for not going the legal route is that he does not feel ICASA would grant him a license.

Now why didn't Mr Spencer just promise that he would not try to compete with Telkom and ICASA would have granted him a license without even having to do any paper work?:rolleyes:

Icasa seems to have their priorities all screwed up.

Consumers get hurt by monopolistic practices - and they do sweet f*** all to protect the consumer - and protect the pigopolistic company's interests... :mad:

That single radio station does not hurt any consumers, yet it got hit with a big stick...

Where's Mrs Justice? Oh, she's gone on holiday with Mr Common Sense... :rolleyes:

Maybe if we all were to march up to Icasa's offices, burn a few tyres and toy-toy then we'll get the results we want? :p :D

Heard his 'Internet' equipment was also confiscated ... said Internet line but I think it must just be modems etc.

Shame on you ICASA!!!!!

You are like Traffic Cops who prey on soft targets while the real villians get away with murder!

Stop fusking around and apply the same standards to Telkom for the love of God. Im so incenced at this waste of resources that im going to write a rude email to ICASA about their 'effectiveness' in applying their mandate to RadioX whilst simultaneously completely ignoring Telkoms non-compliance with ADSL Regs. Feel free to send as well.

Edit: Erm....someone got an email for me? Some nice high-up ICASA fat cat if possible.

Last edited:
I'm fairly suprised that ICASA acually got of their butts and did something for a change, not that I agree with what they did though..

Quite frankly ICASA is just an utter waste of taxpayers money.
They just do what the DoC tells them to do when it comes to the real issues.
When they feel the need to go on a power trip they nail some obscure radio station. RadioX is not the first one they have closed down.

Back