ICASA's big plans for data prices in South Africa

system32

Expert Member
ICASA plans to [-]conduct market reviews[/-] consult networks which may lead to the regulation of data prices.
FTFY.

Feeble ICASA will ask Networks and ensure the regulations don't comply with the law a.k.a. Consumer Protection Act.

SA-UK

Banned
Even if it eventually transpires..and i'm deeply doubtful of that.. how about payback for last 20 years of allowing these SP's to fleece the general public with extortionate charges.

Unlikely!

DXL

Expert Member
At R5 a gigabyte our operators will make a wholesome Profit.
Cost to an efficient Operator is 25c -50c a Gigabyte and this is factual based on on an efficient Operators Retail Tariffs.

http://www.jio.com/en-in/4g-plans

As always I like to benchmark what a real efficient Operator using the exact same equipment and costs to rollout their network.

We are fed nonsense from people in South Africa and the Operators as well about the cost to the Operator I presume they think we are all illiterate and living in the past.

As expressed recently to NERSA that renewable solar power costs a fortune here in South Africa yet in other countries it is getting cheaper by the day.

Who is actually taking who for a ride here ?

SA-UK

Banned
Who is actually taking who for a ride here ?
The masses of which in SA consists of 90% have always been taken for a ride.
What other option is there / has there been except couph up and pay?

airborne

Honorary Master
I needed to buy a Mtn data bundle the other day, the prices virtually haven't changed for the last 10yrs.
1gb still R160, 3gb R330, that's for 30 day bundles, if you want bundles valid for 6 or 12 months then the price ratchets up even more.

And out of bundle rates - still R2048 per gb.

The poor are the ones that really pay the price with these crazy rates, that alone you would have expected would have been a strong enough motivation for the government to have stepped in long ago.

Nevermind that data in other poor(and hence less profitable from a standpoint of recovering infrastructure costs) African countries data and call charges are significantly less than in Sa, ironically including that which Mtn themselves charge their clients in Nigeria.

There must be some collusion somewhere, because the over recovery by the Sa networks is blatantly ridiculous.

Petec

Expert Member
Protectionist and tjommie regulations, as well as a highly successful diss-information campaign, has been perfect at gouging the SA consumer all these years.
The Yanks drool at what the incumbents manage to get away with here.

DXL

Expert Member
Agreed and well Said ..............

I needed to buy a Mtn data bundle the other day, the prices virtually haven't changed for the last 10yrs.
1gb still R160, 3gb R330, that's for 30 day bundles, if you want bundles valid for 6 or 12 months then the price ratchets up even more.

The poor are the ones that really pay the price with these crazy rates, that alone you would have expected would have been a strong enough motivation for the government to have stepped in long ago.

Nevermind that data in other poor(and hence less profitable from a standpoint of recovering infrastructure costs) African countries data and call charges are significantly less than in Sa, ironically including that which Mtn themselves charge their clients in Nigeria.

There must be some collusion somewhere, because the over recovery by the Sa networks is blatantly ridiculous.
Agreed and well Said ..............Hence the reason Vodafone will not dispose of Vodacom and even increased their shareholding last year.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

One has to question why you have stayed with MTN though when there are alternatives...

We don't need more regulation we need more competition and free access to the market, typical communist response to the problem.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
We don't need more regulation we need more competition and free access to the market, typical communist response to the problem.
The market is super capital intensive, but indeed, if they want to open it to other big players they must,

Not that the consumers seem to mind the expensive networks, or else Telkom would be bigger.

Just look at the post above yours.

Last edited:

airborne

Honorary Master
One has to question why you have stayed with MTN though when there are alternatives...
My cheapie data bundles got smashed by mistake, I just needed 100mb till my new data bundles roll over, no ways would I be relying on that pricing for normal use data.

New providers isn't an easy solution just from the most basic perspective of wireless spectrum, there is a limited range available.

Last edited:

furpile

Expert Member
The market is super capital intensive, but indeed, if they want to open it to other big players they must,

Not that the consumers seem to mind the expensive networks, or else Telkom would be bigger.

Just look at the post above yours.
The problem with Telkom is that they seemed to have stopped building infrastructure when they started roaming on MTN. In more rural areas the coverage is just not good enough to rely on. I have tried them, but the phone was jumping between Telkom and MTN roaming the whole time. Not good enough for a primary connection. If they built more of their own towers the situation will definitely improve. Also, on roaming I don't think you get full data speed, or has that changed?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The problem with Telkom is that they seemed to have stopped building infrastructure when they started roaming on MTN. In more rural areas the coverage is just not good enough to rely on. I have tried them, but the phone was jumping between Telkom and MTN roaming the whole time. Not good enough for a primary connection. If they built more of their own towers the situation will definitely improve. Also, on roaming I don't think you get full data speed, or has that changed?
Doesn't give an excuse to most of the people who are in Gauteng almost 365, agree that it might not work for frequent travelers and those residing in other areas.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Perhaps they have put a hold on new towers until they get clarity on what is going to happen with the open access mobile network government is punting so much.

uchoose

Why would anyone add to their network with 5g only a couple years away which is 100x more powerful.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Why would anyone add to their network with 5g only a couple years away which which is 100x more powerful.
We dont even have proper spectrum for 4G. All current LTE networks here was deployed refarming little chunks from 3G spectrum. Telkom the only one I think that has access to decent LTE spectrum.