Ice3X and Luno: South African exchanges

Hi all,

Does anyone else get a dodgy vibe from the Ice3x website?
I would cancel my account there and deal solely with Luno, but Luno does not allow for ETH exchanges directly. For account verification (so far in my experience) Luno requires ID, but Ice3x additionally requires a bank statement (a document from the bank confirming my name and bank details is not enough). It might just be a case of the Luno website being a bit more user friendly too.

I would be interested to hear people's experience with the two different exchanges, particularly those who have long term experience (i.e. more than a few months) with the sites.

Thanks!

Thor

Honorary Master
The .co.za site is a mess of note

The .com one is their trading website, atleast it has https

mr_norris

Expert Member
I was pretty keen on signing up with Ice, but the paperwork involved put a hold on things. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has given up because of that.

I understand that requirements are requirements, but there must be a better way :/

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Paperwork on ice was fairly quick to get through. My account was verified under an hour if I'm not mistaken, there is a thread about it somewhere on the internet.

The only bad thing I can say about them is that on the tech side of things the system feels iffy and their recent release meant downtime for almost 5 days. So, and this is generally accepted practice, you buy and sell on their platform and then move your coins/cash out of it immediately.

Goliath

Expert Member
Paperwork on ice was fairly quick to get through. My account was verified under an hour if I'm not mistaken, there is a thread about it somewhere on the internet.

The only bad thing I can say about them is that on the tech side of things the system feels iffy and their recent release meant downtime for almost 5 days. So, and this is generally accepted practice, you buy and sell on their platform and then move your coins/cash out of it immediately.
Thats what Im looking to do.. want to get me some Ripple and Ether! Then move it to Luno

Thanks all for your replies.
I think I will wait for the ETH price to drop a little more, then buy, and they use myetherwallet to make a paper wallet for the purposes of holding for a while. I was also going to buy some bitcoin but will wait until August to see what happens with segwit...

Papsak

Hi all,

Does anyone else get a dodgy vibe from the Ice3x website?
I would cancel my account there and deal solely with Luno, but Luno does not allow for ETH exchanges directly. For account verification (so far in my experience) Luno requires ID, but Ice3x additionally requires a bank statement (a document from the bank confirming my name and bank details is not enough). It might just be a case of the Luno website being a bit more user friendly too.

I would be interested to hear people's experience with the two different exchanges, particularly those who have long term experience (i.e. more than a few months) with the sites.

Thanks!
Glad I am not the only one! That said, could be legit - and might still uses them BUT would only keep a relatively small amount with them at any one time - say under R3000 or so. If they do a runner (and if they did, who would/could stop them??) - shouldn't be too badly burn't.

Purply

Expert Member
Anyone know if LUNO will be open for trading during all the forks and whatever comes between 30 July - 5 August?

BitcoinZAR

Glad I am not the only one! That said, could be legit - and might still uses them BUT would only keep a relatively small amount with them at any one time - say under R3000 or so. If they do a runner (and if they did, who would/could stop them??) - shouldn't be too badly burn't.
Ice Cubed have been around for years, almost as long as Luno, I use them both all the time without any issues

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Been using Ice3X since 2012. It's rock solid.
They are a lot of things, but rock solid is not one of them. They also don't seem to know how general communication works. Normal companies : "Huge issue on site = Send out communication to clients informing them of the situation", Ice : "Huge issues on site = Ignore the problem, send no communication and hope no one notices, if someone notices they ignore your request for as long as possible, since there is no apparent way of escalating them"

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
They are a lot of things, but rock solid is not one of them. They also don't seem to know how general communication works. Normal companies : "Huge issue on site = Send out communication to clients informing them of the situation", Ice : "Huge issues on site = Ignore the problem, send no communication and hope no one notices, if someone notices they ignore your request for as long as possible, since there is no apparent way of escalating them"
+1 I sent ETH to ice3x 2 hours ago.

1.) It didn't come through and after 30 mins I logged a ticket.
2.) Nobody has replied to said ticket.
3.) There's now a banner stating there's an issue with sending / receiving ETH - BUT still no reply to my ticket or any Twitter announce etc.

I'd rather stick to Luno...

lucifir

Expert Member
+1 I sent ETH to ice3x 2 hours ago.

1.) It didn't come through and after 30 mins I logged a ticket.
2.) Nobody has replied to said ticket.
3.) There's now a banner stating there's an issue with sending / receiving ETH - BUT still no reply to my ticket or any Twitter announce etc.

I'd rather stick to Luno...
good luck with that ... waiting 2 weeks for a reply to my ticket on luno ...
have a look on the luno support thread an you will see many similar delays.
Both these exchanges don't seem to care ... hopefully a decent competitor comes around soon

BitcoinZAR

good luck with that ... waiting 2 weeks for a reply to my ticket on luno ...
have a look on the luno support thread an you will see many similar delays.
Both these exchanges don't seem to care ... hopefully a decent competitor comes around soon
Lots of exchanges are having issues....both ice3x and luno have their fair share of delays and problems, causing lots of user frustration. https://www.bitcoinzar.co.za/cryptocurrency-exchanges-struggle-influx-new-users/

Noob-Noob

Executive Member

John Tempus

Expert Member
I found a video on Luno to buy ripple - gatehub, you move BTC and covert to ripple, worked fine for me.
At what fees ? Pretty sure any of these conversion services ie. changelly,shapeshift and I assume gatehub have similar rediculous conversion rates.

If you are unable to make your fiat deposit on a proper USD exchange with more coin selections then the next best thing is to buy BTC on luno and move the BTC to a USD exchange with good coin selection , poloniex,bittrex or bitfinex to cover all the worthwhile altcoins.

BitcoinZAR

Yeah it's understandable, but why not send out a communication to their existing clientele informing them of the issues. We are talking money here, when money is involved I expect a very clear channel of communication at the very least.
Both Ice Cubed and Luno have both got messages about it on Social media (facebook and twitter), and Ice Cubed even stopped new user registrations temporarily. Only once they have gone through their backlog will they reopen registrations.

In my Ice Cubed account I see there is warnings when you want to deposit or withdraw about delays.

warren.abels

Yea, I'm so stressed about IceCUBED right now. Got 50k of eth that was deposited to their exchange. Deposit was 6 days ago and not showing up. It was a smart contract deposit which I now believe they advising not to do it like this.... But it's a bit late now!

I have done plenty of smart contract deposits to them before with no problems. Anyway, it doesn't matter now, I won't do it again.. My biggest concern, when the F*** will I get my Eth.

No real way of contacting this exchange, except through the ticket system. I can't get any idea when the deposit will be done. Stopped getting responses, no eta on when this issue will be fixed, in the meantime I'm losing money.

What can I do, help me!

John Tempus

Expert Member
Yea, I'm so stressed about IceCUBED right now. Got 50k of eth that was deposited to their exchange. Deposit was 6 days ago and not showing up. It was a smart contract deposit which I now believe they advising not to do it like this.... But it's a bit late now!

I have done plenty of smart contract deposits to them before with no problems. Anyway, it doesn't matter now, I won't do it again.. My biggest concern, when the F*** will I get my Eth.

No real way of contacting this exchange, except through the ticket system. I can't get any idea when the deposit will be done. Stopped getting responses, no eta on when this issue will be fixed, in the meantime I'm losing money.

What can I do, help me!
I sincerely hope you can somehow get this resolve but as much as it probably will hurt be prepared to get potentially screwed on this deposit. Every other exchange I work with do not support or allow depositing eth from smart contract address and they make it clear that if you do it the funds would be lost. ice2x exchange probably dont even mention this on deposit page which would make it even shadier in case they have the same policy.