iCloud Photos or Google Photos

jnvdh06

Since Google Photos free unlimited storage ended at the beginning of June, I have been wondering if I should switch over to iCloud Photos since I am heavily into the Apple Ecosystem.

The big issue is moving all my photos into iCloud from Google Photos.
I have been using it for a few years and theres loads of photos (>10,000)

I know you can do Google Takeout but as far as I know it messes with the metadata of the photos.

I also have a hard drive backup of most of my photos which I could upload to iCloud, but I am not sure if all my photos are there compared to Google Photos.

The other concern is cross platform compatibility. If I for a reason switch to Android (which I don't see any time soon), it's gonna be a schlep to transfer everything again from iCloud.

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
I’ve subscribed to Microsoft 365 Family, comes with 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage. I’ve synced the Photos app and other files from my MacBook Pro, my iPad Pro and iPhone 12 photos from the camera roll all get uploaded to One Drive.

jnvdh06

I’ve subscribed to Microsoft 365 Family, comes with 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage. I’ve synced the Photos app and other files from my MacBook Pro, my iPad Pro and iPhone 12 photos from the camera roll all get uploaded to One Drive.
I also have Microsoft 365 but Onedrive isnt as feature rich as Google Photos and iCloud. Thats the only thing that stops me from using it

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
I also have Microsoft 365 but Onedrive isnt as feature rich as Google Photos and iCloud. Thats the only thing that stops me from using it
That’s a feature problem not a backup problem though?
You can use both, I’m also in the ecosystem so iCloud is easier and multiple copies aren’t bad.

Thor

Honorary Master
I personally use Backblaze for all my backups.

Its vendor agnostic.

I do have iCloud but only the 50GB one on there i managed data between my Macs and iPhone

Backblaze is my entire life (previous phones, PC and current) backup so that's around 3TB and it's $6.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Since Google Photos free unlimited storage ended at the beginning of June, I have been wondering if I should switch over to iCloud Photos since I am heavily into the Apple Ecosystem.

The big issue is moving all my photos into iCloud from Google Photos.
I have been using it for a few years and theres loads of photos (>10,000)

I know you can do Google Takeout but as far as I know it messes with the metadata of the photos.

I also have a hard drive backup of most of my photos which I could upload to iCloud, but I am not sure if all my photos are there compared to Google Photos.

The other concern is cross platform compatibility. If I for a reason switch to Android (which I don't see any time soon), it's gonna be a schlep to transfer everything again from iCloud.
I'd use iCloud for that. The integration is awesome and you'll get more use out of your subscription than with Google One.

Its vendor agnostic.

I do have iCloud but only the 50GB one on there i managed data between my Macs and iPhone

Backblaze is my entire life (previous phones, PC and current) backup so that's around 3TB and it's $6.
The last time I tried to use Backblaze the upload speeds were horrifically slow.

prOd

Expert Member

Its vendor agnostic.

I do the same, iCloud for iPhone and Backblaze for everything else. I have about 4TB backed up in BB

Loafy

iCloud Photo Library works incredibly well. The only down side is sharing. You can create a shared album, but you have to re-upload everything and it creates a temporary "external" album. Not very slick.