Ideal Place To Build A Large Data Centre In SA

Lebogang95

If you had the funding & backing from large corporates to build data centres in South Africa, which area would be ideal for you to consider building one ?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The underwater stuff is merely POC stuff, and no way built for production workloads...

You want to build the DC's as close to the end users that the DC will be serving as possible. So pretty much CPT, DBN and JHB are your options.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
You build a DC where you can get power. These machines eat power, and getting 2x stable 20-40 MW feeds in South Africa isn't easy. I don't think there are many services in South Africa that are THAT sensitive to latency that location relative to users is that important (I stand to be corrected). JHB will get you within 1-25 ms from every fibre user in SA. CPT will get you within 1 - 30ms of every fibre user in SA (Direct CPT to KZN routes aren't that great, so all traffic goes through JHB). I guess you get the picture.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If I had funding and backing....I would go straight to a consulting firm who specializes in building last projects like these to advise me where is best to build it....not ask on the internet.

Even the likes of Amazon don't do these things themselves.

Is that you @newjourno?

newby_investor

Expert Member
Would there not be other considerations too though, such as local zoning laws, or what have you, that may influence the decision?

garp

Executive Member
Anywhere on the border of two separate power grids, with possibility of connectivity to at least two major carriers.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Would there not be other considerations too though, such as local zoning laws, or what have you, that may influence the decision?
Precisely why I said you go to the consultants.

You need environmental consultancy, licenses, permits etc etc.

All of which change cost and eligibility.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Precisely why I said you go to the consultants.

You need environmental consultancy, licenses, permits etc etc.

All of which change cost and eligibility.
I agree with you in principle, but with the added observation that you also do need to have some level of savvy yourself. I've seen instances where "consultants" deliver complete BS to their clients who didn't know any better and just went with it to tragic results.

It's the old philosophical problem of how do you know whether you've hired a good designer unless you have good taste.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I agree with you in principle, but with the added observation that you also do need to have some level of savvy yourself. I've seen instances where "consultants" deliver complete BS to their clients who didn't know any better and just went with it to tragic results.

It's the old philosophical problem of how do you know whether you've hired a good designer unless you have good taste.
Obviously you need some insights yeah and be able to smell the bullshit.

But also need to be able to admit when you don’t have a clue and trust professionals.

By consultants I don’t mean the PR “coaching” or leadership types. I meant the engineering firms etc.

Gnome

Executive Member
Far as I know Amazon is building their data center in Cape Town which is an interesting break from the typical Jhb based data centers.

Jhb isn't close to any undersea links, so likely that factors into it.
Melkbos looks like it has cables running up both sides of Africa (granted SAT3 is old now).

skimread

Executive Member
If you had the funding & backing from large corporates to build data centres in South Africa, which area would be ideal for you to consider building one ?
The area I would build it in would be my rear area. I would create a block chain mining center that goes along where ever I go. I would be sitting on the beach making millions or travelling overseas. With this miniaturization tech I have at my disposal I would be able to disrupt so many industries.

MEIOT

Expert Member
The area I would build it in would be my rear area. I would create a block chain mining center that goes along where ever I go. I would be sitting on the beach making millions or travelling overseas. With this miniaturization tech I have at my disposal I would be able to disrupt so many industries.
So....to be clear...up your ass then?

skimread

Executive Member
So....to be clear...up your ass then?
That saying is derogatory. The correct term is cybernetic implant processing centre.

Please mind your language as there are large corporate funders who are subscribed to this thread.