Ideas for a Java App/Website/Program

Supersoaker

Expert Member
Hey guys so I started with python but put that on hold as our university wants us to learn Java, I will be doing python during the holidays but for now I've been working on my Java skills for +3 hours a day, I need a project or something to work on and was going to involve two of my friends as a private project that we could launch by the end of the year?

I've been wrecking my brains trying to come up with an idea of what to do, I either end up with something ridiculous or something too complex. For now I just want to start with something simple and work from there.

callvm

Make something that you would use, or something that's currently trending i.e. coronavirus, loadshedding etc. that will be of some use to the average user

gkm

Expert Member
Chat application (like MXiT/Whatsapp). You will learn about building clients, communication and server side that way.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Write a ray tracer!
This would be a good challenge; in Java you could use libGDX for the rendering.
Plus it's offers many options to expand on the idea, for example:
  • create basic application to add 3D solid objects, adjust lighting, colour, ...
  • ...and then if time permits to enhance it to include the rendering of more complex models and textures.
Alternatively for something simpler but still a lot of fun -- build a side scrolling 2D platform game.

cguy

Executive Member
This would be a good challenge; in Java you could use libGDX for the rendering.
Plus it's offers many options to expand on the idea, for example:
  • create basic application to add 3D solid objects, adjust lighting, colour, ...
  • ...and then if time permits to enhance it to include the rendering of more complex models and textures.
Alternatively for something simpler but still a lot of fun -- build a side scrolling 2D platform game.

Yup, there are so many cool incremental things one can do ranging from the very simple to extremely advanced.

To make it fast, there are micro optimizations, mathematical optimizations, multi threading, vectorization, spatial data structures, etc. most of which can be coded up independent of one another.

Thor

Honorary Master
Hey guys so I started with python but put that on hold as our university wants us to learn Java, I will be doing python during the holidays but for now I've been working on my Java skills for +3 hours a day, I need a project or something to work on and was going to involve two of my friends as a private project that we could launch by the end of the year?

I've been wrecking my brains trying to come up with an idea of what to do, I either end up with something ridiculous or something too complex. For now I just want to start with something simple and work from there.
Use our airtime API to create a simple airtime vending point of sale app.

Freepaid.co.za

Heck maybe we buy it one day who knows.

Let me know I'll load some monopoly money for you.

Last edited: