Idler pulley price

infrared

Hey, hope you guys are doing well. So somehow the idler pulley broke in my car and it was ripping the fan belt a new one. I took the car to the mechanic and he replaced the fan belt and pulley tensioner as I managed to find those parts, however I can't seem to find the idler pulley anywhere. I have tried my local Goldwagen, AutoZone, midas and few other parts shops that I know of.

The car in question is a 2015 Ford Figo 1.4 Ambiente (the old model.) The salesperson at Goldwagen told me that the idler pulley would be around R1300 but the mechanic and a few other people that I questioned told me that it shouldn't be so expensive. So I'm not sure if the pulley is really so expensive if someone could advise me on that and if you guys have any idea as to where I can find this part. I'm currently situated in the Boksburg area.

Thanks in advance

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Yes, it's usually a piece of round plastic, maybe the GW guy was not sure what you are talking about.

thehuman

Expert Member
Hey, hope you guys are doing well. So somehow the idler pulley broke in my car and it was ripping the fan belt a new one. I took the car to the mechanic and he replaced the fan belt and pulley tensioner as I managed to find those parts, however I can't seem to find the idler pulley anywhere. I have tried my local Goldwagen, AutoZone, midas and few other parts shops that I know of.

The car in question is a 2015 Ford Figo 1.4 Ambiente (the old model.) The salesperson at Goldwagen told me that the idler pulley would be around R1300 but the mechanic and a few other people that I questioned told me that it shouldn't be so expensive. So I'm not sure if the pulley is really so expensive if someone could advise me on that and if you guys have any idea as to where I can find this part. I'm currently situated in the Boksburg area.

Thanks in advance
For interest sake , goto ford ask them what it costs there , maybe ask them if they have one in stock you could look at .
They will look your car up on the computer via vin number.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Try online stores, they are more useful, the physical stores never have unpopular parts in stock, you really don't want to need a part urgently.

Boss auto spares
Online car parts.

Last edited:

rodga

Honorary Master
Go to ford dealer and ask for a quote for the part. They will give you a print out with a part number. Take that part number to goldwagen or search the part number online.

rietrot

Honorary Master
The kit with the belt and pulleys are normally around R1000.

The bearing is actually really cheap. But on most of these pulleys you can't just replace the bearing as it is built in, specific to the car.

Goldwagen is the best, but you can try Midas and autozone or another spare shop to compare prices.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Besides wearing out and costing you loads of money what is the purpose of these pulleys? All the pulleys on my car besides the tensioner drives something, is it perhaps just for routing the belt away from obstacles?

rietrot

Honorary Master
Besides wearing out and costing you loads of money what is the purpose of these pulleys? All the pulleys on my car besides the tensioner drives something, is it perhaps just for routing the belt away from obstacles?
Drive something or tensioner or routing the belt.

Big Rat

Keeping the belt tight so it does not wobble about and screetch.
Also, as the belt ages it stetches ever so slighty. tensioner keeps it tight for those old belt.
Lastly, as the revs climbs that belt has a bit of stretch in them, the tensioner will keep that at bay as well.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Keeping the belt tight so it does not wobble about and screetch.
Also, as the belt ages it stetches ever so slighty. tensioner keeps it tight for those old belt.
Lastly, as the revs climbs that belt has a bit of stretch in them, the tensioner will keep that at bay as well.
Yes, that's the tensioner, I get that but the pulleys he is talking about are different from the tensioner, I am think they are just there for the routing since the functional pulleys could be at odd places and you have to work around mountings and stuff.

Big Rat

Yes, that's the tensioner, I get that but the pulleys he is talking about are different from the tensioner, I am think they are just there for the routing since the functional pulleys could be at odd places and you have to work around mountings and stuff.
You're right sorry, misread your question.
Yeah, they push the belt into a shape that gives the most contact with each wheel that needs to be driven.
Aircon for example is a tight wheel to drive, need much contact as possible there.
Only reason i can think of.

infrared

Yes, it's usually a piece of round plastic, maybe the GW guy was not sure what you are talking about.
I had the broken with me and took it with me to GW and showed it to him. He immediately asked me if I wanted a pulley so I'm guessing he knew what I was looking for. Is Goldwagen usually expensive because for a fan belt set he quoted R800 while AutoZone and midas I can get the same set for maximum 450-500.

Last edited:

infrared

Go to ford dealer and ask for a quote for the part. They will give you a print out with a part number. Take that part number to goldwagen or search the part number online.
yeah I'm gonna try that

unobeat

I had the broken with me and took it with me to GW and showed it to him. He immediately asked me if I wanted a pulley so I'm guessing he knew what I was looking for. Is Goldwagen usually expensive because for a fan belt set he quoted R800 while AutoZone and midas I can get the same set for maximum 450-500.

This would be different between shops because of brand.
Check with Ford as well, you might the difference is not a lot.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Do they actually sell the belts as a set? I am going to need one soon for a Fiesta, what bores me the most about aftermarket spares is getting there and finding someone who doesn't know the right part and wants a spare, I don't know where they get people who are so disinterested in their job.

infrared

Do they actually sell the belts as a set? I am going to need one soon for a Fiesta, what bores me the most about aftermarket spares is getting there and finding someone who doesn't know the right part and wants a spare, I don't know where they get people who are so disinterested in their job.
ya they sell the belts as a set