IEA rates South Africa's EV charging network among the best in the world

Electric cars are still a bit pricey. We would need cars in the 200-300k range to really get this moving.

However how many charging stations also at the corporate environments ie in Cape Town.

Say Old Mutual (Pinelands), Sanlam (Bellville), Santam (Bellville), Shoprite Offices (Brackenfell), Amazon (CBD or Observatory), and so on. The corporates would be the fastest way to boost electric sales. As you have a high amount of people that has to travel there daily. Quite a few of them also has large solar arrays, so it would be a green energy switch.

Also how about rolling it to homes for home charging, but with Gridcars paying for the electricity usage. I wont mind seeing one in my road. Similar to split the bill

What's funny is how many chargers there are for the few electric cars in the country.

Yup, given the low saturation of ev's, i wouldn't be surprised if charger:ev ratio wasn't 1:1 or higher

What's funny is how many chargers there are for the few electric cars in the country.
That's normal i would say? Uptake of electric cars will remain low if people feel its difficult to find a charging station. So you need that infrastructure in place first.

That's normal i would say? Uptake of electric cars will remain low if people feel its difficult to find a charging station. So you need that infrastructure in place first.
Incentive to go electric. Especially when considering long distance travel.

Incentive to go electric. Especially when considering long distance travel.
Yeah long distance is still tricky. There are some monster-chargers out there that can fill you up to 80% in like 20mins or something but they draw insane amounts of power and again, people will be reluctant if there might be load-shedding when they arrive at the 1Stop for Lunch and a re-charge.

Pity about the electricity, do they use petrol or diesel generators to power them.. In other words, what a farce.. I mean really.. Sorry get real!

Reactions: xtm
That's awesome, need to have a network to make it worth getting one.
Looking at overseas markets EV is inevitable and SA will catch up soon enough - usually SA 10 years behind on vehicle technologies, so probably be similar for EV uptake and even eventual FSD.

Looking forward to mass adoption, but finally it's starting...

How unreliable those EV network would become when you stuck on the highway waiting for non-EV would wave at you...

ridiculous statistic not based in reality

what next?

Afghanistan is the safest country in the world since the Taliban took over.

ridiculous statistic not based in reality

what next?

Afghanistan is the safest country in the world since the Taliban took over.
A more apt description would be Afghanistan has the one of the highest rates of female university graduates in the world, their one per year definitely graduates. I mean its not like there aren't electric vehicle charges out there, they do exist, and probably work fairly well, given how little they are used.

Last edited:
Back