IEC to approach court to ask for local government elections to be postponed to 2022

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Why not? We all do shopping and buy food. Run the elections over a week. Surnames A - E on day one and so forth.

And how well do you think that would go? Is it a holiday based on your surname to simulate the public holiday to vote?

Shopping is the wrong example. I don't think that there's a day where over half of adults go to shopping.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Why not? We all do shopping and buy food. Run the elections over a week. Surnames A - E on day one and so forth.

These:

Socrates was of the belief that democracy without educated masses (educated in the more broader sense of being knowledgeable and responsible) would only lead to populism being the criteria to become an elected leader, and not competence. This would ultimately lead to a demise of the nation. This was quoted by Plato in book 10 of The Republic, in Socrates' conversation with Adimantus. Socrates was of the opinion that the right to vote must not be an indiscriminate right (for example by birth or citizenship), but must be given only to people who thought sufficiently of their choice.

“In the name of equality, the disciples of democratism declare the word of the simpleton as valid as that of the sage, proclaiming him not only fit to run his own affairs, as would be agreeable, but also those of the latter.” - Daniel Acheampong
For elections to be considered free and fair, political parties have to have unhindered access to the electorate, which is not possible at the moment due to the rules around the current pandemic. A 1st world country would probably have found a way around it but our levels of poverty means some people have no access to the tech required to make it possible.

You don't even have to invoke spirits of ancient philosophers.

And BTW, I'm from an ethnic group which has more surnames starting with M. Where I come from, surnames starting with M possibly outnumber the rest of the Roman alphabet combined.

Peon

Expert Member
For elections to be considered free and fair, political parties have to have unhindered access to the electorate, which is not possible at the moment due to the rules around the current pandemic. A 1st world country would probably have found a way around it but our levels of poverty means some people have no access to the tech required to make it possible.

You don't even have to invoke spirits of ancient philosophers.

And BTW, I'm from an ethnic group which has more surnames starting with M. Where I come from, surnames starting with M possibly outnumber the rest of the Roman alphabet combined.
Malan, Mulder, Marais or we talking about a Macdonald here? :laugh::ROFL:

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Just extend the time to submit votes to a week instead of a single day, set the hours from 8AM to 8PM, and allow for mail-in ballots.

No need for long queues if you have a week to choose when to go in.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Just extend the time to submit votes to a week instead of a single day, set the hours from 8AM to 8PM, and allow for mail-in ballots.

I am afraid anything other than a traditional voting process would be open to being questioned and unfounded allegations made to throw the entire process into disrepute, plus the IEC has been shown to fall short in terms of the standards they set themselves, like the indelible ink that turned out not to be as indelible as it was thought.

Coming up with different methods of doing things at the spur of the moment will not work, we must have an old fashioned election, then all stakeholders must sit down and properly thrash out alternative ways of doing things and that will take a while. Otherwise we are going to have people running to courts, challenging this and that just for the sake of sowing confusion amongst the electorate, I can totally see the EFF having a ball about all that.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Jeepers that was a stuffup, recall everyone hammering the IEC.
Indeed it was, and to think that the IEC was not under pressure at the time yet they still let something like that happen, now imagine asking them to come up with a different way of conducting an election within a very short space of time, it would be a challenge even for a well oiled election organising machinery, let alone the IEC.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Correct. Who do you think approached the IEC? What does NDZ and Malema say?
All parties had a view about what should happen with the election, the IEC is an independent body and they can also see what is happening so they decided to ask Judge Moseneke to do the enquiry, that's all there is to it, but feel free to continue with conspiracy theories.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
And how well do you think that would go? Is it a holiday based on your surname to simulate the public holiday to vote?

Why do you need a holiday to vote? The Germans do it on a normal working day with no disruptions. And if SA can't do that, with a 50% real unemployment rate and only 30 million actual voters, what's wrong having the public holiday as per surname? Start thinking out of the box. It's a pure logistics exercise and there are many logistics engineers capable of organising it. Oh, wait, those might be white and we'll have to get some logisticians from Cuba...

Shopping is the wrong example. I don't think that there's a day where over half of adults go to shopping.

Why? There are about 30 million voters in SA with about half of them unemployed. So about 15 million can visit the polling station anytime and the other 15 million will definitely have visited a shop sometime within a week...

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

So, then you check the voters roll and see how many per letter in the district. You can have three or four days for the M's then.

It's a pure logistics exercise to organise it.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

And urban areas where there is a digital communication infrastructure can do digital voting. After all, online banking works. Traditional polling stations will still be required but can be much smaller as they won't have the entire electorate to serve.

Rural areas, which have far less voters can be visited with traditional polling stations.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
All parties had a view about what should happen with the election, the IEC is an independent body and they can also see what is happening so they decided to ask Judge Moseneke to do the enquiry, that's all there is to it, but feel free to continue with conspiracy theories.

All parties you say? Can you state which parties are for postponing and which against?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Malan, Mulder, Marais or we talking about a Macdonald here? :laugh::ROFL:
Aren't those evenly distributed? We don't even have the letters Z, X, V and Q, though we have other sounds normal roman alphabet isn't doing justice to. Our linguists should do more.