If a couple isn't married and have a kid, does the kid take the moms name?

InternetSwag

Expert Member
There's no rule about it.

But please think of the child and how he or she would have to deal with the name.

Even though androgeny is hip today, it's unlikely to survive the wars following the CoronaCrash.

It would be awful for a male child to have a traditionally female name like Susan, Phoebe or Brunhilda.

Likewise, giving a daughter her father's name is cruel and unusual, especially if his name is Adolf, Donald, or even Percival.

You should also think about which surname to use.
Hah I knew a few Ashley's in my youth of both genders

InternetSwag

Expert Member
No law on this, depends on strategy either partner wants to play in future when it comes to kid (where the couple split.. kids change things).

Traditionally kid takes the fathers name cementing the whole dependency aspect.. but who knows. The risk here is when split happens and kid ends up with a surname different from other siblings. Most dads want the their surname particularly if a boy from what I’ve seen but who knows.

Most surnames don’t change if kids are in teens (part of identity) and while a free change may happen even later when converting to an ID.. most just keep their existing. I think it’s skipped due to effort needed and usually only seen surname changes in kids where there was an abandonment, formal adoption or mutual agreement (kids have rights from quite early on btw).

So yah.. usually maiden name usually comes with higher adoption of marriage surname while biological dad’s surname comes with legal issues unless death and abandonment.
Interesting. I'm not opposed to getting married, but uhhh... I feel like that is gonna happen anytime soon cause of covid.
Unless we just got it done on paper.
And have the celebration next year lol

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Congrats.
I still remember when you were a kid working at a vet store and riding a scooter.
Now you're a dad!
Good memory. Man those were not the greatest of times :cautious: I remember drinking tomato sauce from a bottle that Wimpy forgot to take back because I was hungry and couldn't buy food.

Now I can at least buy my own tomato sauce

Nemus

Expert Member
Interesting. I'm not opposed to getting married, but uhhh... I feel like that is gonna happen anytime soon cause of covid.
Unless we just got it done on paper.
And have the celebration next year lol
Do it now, saves you on the costs.. then tell her you'll have a big shindig at 5 year anniversary.. you should be long divorced by then.

Secondly.. the name is up to the parents to decide, but think about it carefully. You don't want him/her/it to walk around with Swag as a surname and InternetSwag is nowhere to be seen!

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Do it now, saves you on the costs.. then tell her you'll have a big shindig at 5 year anniversary.. you should be long divorced by then.

Secondly.. the name is up to the parents to decide, but think about it carefully. You don't want him/her/it to walk around with Swag as a surname and InternetSwag is nowhere to be seen!
Heh, fair enough.

I'm assuming people can't get married right now though? Maybe not until lvl 4 or 3?

Hellhound105

Executive Member
There's no rule about it.

But please think of the child and how he or she would have to deal with the name.

Even though androgeny is hip today, it's unlikely to survive the wars following the CoronaCrash.

It would be awful for a male child to have a traditionally female name like Susan, Phoebe or Brunhilda.

Likewise, giving a daughter her father's name is cruel and unusual, especially if his name is Adolf, Donald, or even Percival.

You should also think about which surname to use.

With you on this. I will never name my kid the same as my name or wife/GF. Just think of a new name.

Nemus

Expert Member
Heh, fair enough.

I'm assuming people can't get married right now though? Maybe not until lvl 4 or 3?

Definitely can't have a ceremony or reception, no. And with regards to going to home affairs, seriously doubt they would entertain that except for extenuating circumstances..
So.. wait until home affairs allows, but not yet receptions and save yourself enough to start a business.

Caldo

And this doesn't change if they get married later, yeah?
If you not married, the child usually takes the mother's surname. However if both agree the child can be registered under the father's surname.

No double barrel is permitted, if not married - unless you have a court order.

It is possible to change later with both parents giving consent.

***My answer is based on first year law module***

Bobbin

Executive Member
On another slightly related note, is it easy to get married but retain surnames? I would want my future kid to have the mothers surname. I don't like mine.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
On another slightly related note, is it easy to get married but retain surnames? I would want my future kid to have the mothers surname. I don't like mine.

get married and take hers like the little b**** you are

Bobbin

Executive Member
get married and take hers like the little b**** you are

I mean I'd rather not bother to be honest. My family may also find it strange. And changing it for work, accounts etc... meh... Just thinking of the kid. I'd rather he/she not grow up with the childish teasing I had to endure. But as for me it doesn't matter, I've lived with it for long enough to not give a f***. So if it is unnecessary then why bother.

Pretty sure the kid would be grateful for that one day anyway.

Last edited:

BraBean

Honorary Master
Why give the kid any of the parents surnames? Why not a new one, like Skywalker?

InternetSwag

Expert Member
I mean I'd rather not bother to be honest. My family may also find it strange. And changing it for work, accounts etc... meh... Just thinking of the kid. I'd rather he/she not grow up with the childish teasing I had to endure. But as for me it doesn't matter, I've lived with it for long enough to not give a f***. So if it is unnecessary then why bother.

Pretty sure the kid would be grateful for that one day anyway.
I'd do the same if my surname was something bad like koekemoer

r4nd0m

Just skimmed the thread. Not sure if this is just for jokes, but some advice:

Don't get married. Look after the kid and the mom to be by all means, but don't sign your power away. If you aspire to be a man of wealth, freedom and control, then don't do it.

You don't need to get married to look after your child or the mom. Don't let societal convention take precedence. Think.

That said, congrats!