If God exists, then where did he come from?

Shaun108

Executive Member
Everybody came from something, be it a womb or egg or through other means. If God does indeed exists where did he come from?

Rabobi

Executive Member
In a space ship from another dimension. Or from the fantasies of early humans, take your pic, either one is equally as plausible

Nick333

Honorary Master
Everybody came from something, be it a womb or egg or through other means. If God does indeed exists where did he come from?
Do you honestly think theirs a rational and logical satisfying answer to this question that theists have been keeping secret?
The answer is God doesn't have to make sense because he exists outside of the rational universe.

SoulTax

Executive Member
He always existed of course!

But to apply that same logical explanation to the universe is simply bonkers.... :erm: I mean there is no way that something that we can see and experience could have existed forever in different states, but something magical and made up, now that can be eternal.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
The only correct answer is Switzerland cause he's the biggest draadsitter of them all.

Shaun108

Executive Member
I understand all of your points, but logic dictates that nothing appears out of nothing and everything has a cause and a subsequent effect.

SoulTax

Executive Member
I understand all of your points, but logic dictates that nothing appears out of nothing and everything has a cause and a subsequent effect.
But cause and effect are bound by space and time. We talk about what, where and when the cause happens, and the same with the effect. But if the big bang created both space and time, then how could there have been cause and effect before this? Therefore could the law of nothing from nothing only exist in a space-time, cause-effect based universe of our understanding?

saor

Honorary Master
Yeah, but this is what you're doing:

SHAUN108: "If santa exists - how is it possible that his reindeer fly?
SOMEONE: "The answer is Santa's reindeer don't have to make sense because they exists outside of the rational universe.
SHAUN108: "Yeah, but logic dictates that reindeer can't fly..."

The very assumption that God or Santa exists, implies that God always existed and that reindeer can fly.

Last edited:

Techne

Honorary Master
It is "from nothing, nothing comes". Things can come from nothing via creation.
Also, it is not "everything has a cause" but "Whatever begins to be has a cause" or "Whatever is contingent has a cause" or “something can only be reduced from potentiality to actuality by something in a state of actuality”.

And either something exists contingently, i.e. it can fail to exist and thus needs some reason and/or cause for it coming into existence or its continued existence, or something exists necessarily. i.e. it cannot fail to exist and it's nature or essence just is to exist.

You don't have to abandon logic when it comes to God, you just need to get the logic right and not misrepresent the actual arguments.

visrot

Expert Member
Our Bible claims God is light....could this have any meaning of existence in a spaceless timeless dimension?

krono9

Just another one of those things that we as humans don't have the ability to understand with our minds...

Markd

"space" and "time" exist within the universe. Outside of the universe, they may not exist at all - so there may be no concept of time, or space. In this context, something doesn't need to have come from something else before it (there is no "before"). It just existed. This doesn't fit with our understanding of the universe, which some of us use to try and rationalize things.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Just another one of those things that we as humans don't have the ability to understand with our minds...
We have the ability, if we choose to use it is another thing altogether of course.

You see, those who believe will justify gods actions until they find an explanation that makes sense to them. If they can't then god is too complex for us to understand.

But hey, God doesn't exist. The question is nonsense.

See? Easy.