If SMS was priced like data, a message would cost 0.03c

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
We can all agree that SMS is massively overpriced, but this is a pointless article. There's a very good reason it's not priced like data, it's because SMS is old tech and costs the operator more than just the traffic. The mobile provider has to have pretty beefy systems on the back-end to store and forward the SMSes, the protocol used to send the SMS to/from the phones is incredibly inefficient compared to a data connection and takes up more resources on the operators' infrastructure.

I'm not defending the SMS price, but sensationalist BS articles like this do nothing to inform the public in any way and serve to reinforce misconceptions. I'm not sure if it's honest ignorance from the author, or wilful clickbait.

Please, the investment was paid off long ago. SMS is pure profit now.

"Costs the operator more" means something like 10c per SMS would be acceptable, but not 50c. If anything, the price of an SMS should decrease as time goes on - hasn't really.

Just let the dinosaurs die.

werfie

Expert Member
If you have a smartphone, just get an app like Clean Inbox or SMSBlocker, that filters out spam messages with the option to put your own rules in for blacklisting. Like building up a repository of words like: "FREE, OPT OUT, Ts&Cs, ONLY, STOP", then that message will never be seen by you as it goes to your spam folder, so never bothers you and no need to "confirm" your number.

Thanks, I will definitely look at this, I use true messenger at the moment, it's not that great.

whatwhat

Executive Member
We can all agree that SMS is massively overpriced, but this is a pointless article. There's a very good reason it's not priced like data, it's because SMS is old tech and costs the operator more than just the traffic. The mobile provider has to have pretty beefy systems on the back-end to store and forward the SMSes, the protocol used to send the SMS to/from the phones is incredibly inefficient compared to a data connection and takes up more resources on the operators' infrastructure.

I'm not defending the SMS price, but sensationalist BS articles like this do nothing to inform the public in any way and serve to reinforce misconceptions. I'm not sure if it's honest ignorance from the author, or wilful clickbait.

That just means the people using SMS are just as old tech, and haven't woken up to the way the world does things.

But this is South Africa and we are 5 years behind everyone else.