If the world was a reflection of your soul

saor

Honorary Master
Well maybe not literally true, but maybe as an imagined game or program by which to structure your ethics & attitudes, or the rules of some fictional universe.

Because once I play that game, then I look at the world and things closer to home and it makes me question my own attitudes and shortcomings, my own moments of weakness. And my dummy brain parses the lesson in 'first remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother's eye.'

It's effortless directing frustration and anger at the actions of others, but then I catch myself doing something like procrastinating and then...a teacher procrastinates, a minister procrastinates; everyone procrastinates and nothing gets done but I magically excuse my own procrastination.

mind:\>program.exe

What if it is a reflection?
Or just del.png
and it's no longer there.

But there's a trace;
the parsed parable stays true.

purpleheart

Expert Member
Seen that one, I like both of these ladies, but I have strong creative ability so the first one resonates with me more, especially at the moment if I think about procrastination, as in the OP. I am also not in a corporate environment so my family and clients get my **** which is cool with me, most day's anyway.

saor

Honorary Master
<don't take this too seriously>

This thing about having something you want to change but are unable to change...

Imagine building a system with the goal of allowing unbounded freedom to a mind, but in order to permit such freedom, the system fuses into minds a mental device which gets manipulated in various ways by the world the mind is immersed in. The device output can manifest as behavior like addiction, procrastination, corruption or thievery.

I'm guessing other people also struggle with a thing they'd like to change or do, but for whatever reason forever joust with. The bible might call it sin - a thing we ask forgiveness for, but another way to view it (I mean - if we're constructing fictional narratives here by which to guide our thinking, then a way to view it would be...): That sin is that device in minds that spits out dark across the spectrum; a force to wrestle with. If a mind becomes subservient to those machinations, it fails. But if a mind can change, can oppose the output - it moves forward.

Maybe this is how we ensure ethical AI.
Maybe we are the AI primitive in the system.
Maybe our animal brains are just so wired and we're puppets on chemical strings.
But maybe strange that we can see the strings and desire them to be cut.

/>

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
Your elusive creative genius - Elizabeth Gilbert
She also has this notion of creating an idea that can be used to guide our actions. In her case it's the idea that creativity works through you, rather than coming from you. That's not necessarily true, but treating the idea as though it were can result in a better life than believing some alternative.

We can use our imagination to create ideas that orient us toward a better way of being. It's almost like a game between mind and matter: The material brain with chemical causality tugs in one direction; mental mind sees another path & constructs ways of getting there.

I guess it's a question of not only discovering better narratives, but also how those ideas can be firmly cemented into mind in a way that affords them the causal power necessary to really influence action. Religion seems to have done it on a large scale, but I'm curious about how to effectively do it at a personal level. Maybe this is a coarse account of the genesis of religion: An idea so effective in guiding individual behavior jumps to the population; the meme spreads as minds seeks to oppose matter. But - I have no interest in the meme or propagation, but rather the effective implementation of a constructed idea into mind such that it effectively guides behavior.

Is it enough to simply remind oneself of an idea?
Is the effectiveness of an idea determined by how true we think it is?
Is there some other way to better incorporate such ideas?

johncgalloway

Mmm, so Trump's world reflection is that it's all his personal sh!tter, since the reflection on his sole was TP.

No surprise there.