If You alone had the Power... who would You put in charge ?

TonyHawk

Expert Member
If You alone had the Power... who would You put in charge ? (Humorous)

You do you the power to change things every 5 years... but it will
take lifetimes, rather than decades, to achieve it !!!!

It was a sad day when power sharing broke down in the new SA era.
I still think that it would be the better option though it failed before.
Under different parties like ANC, DA, IFP and FF... it could have done better.

What this country lacks is that politicians are not co-operating in the
interest of the people... guess thats politics.

What I would like to see is a South Africa where the strongest members
and leaders from all the major parties (top 7 for instance) would sit on the
presidents cabinet, making descisions wisely and extensively, and yes,
according to the percentages that you achieve in the elections.

I believe a majority of top leaders from all parties have something good to
add to the new SA, and believe this will cut out secrecy, corruption & speed up delivery.

I don't like a lot of things from many parties... but see some good in them
What I want to know is who do you think deserves a cabinet post ?
...and if you can... a reason why... if its not obvious

My choice is not solid, but this would be nice:
============================================
President - Zille (DA) - seems to be very effective in all that she does, does not beat around the bush (just needs to prove she's for real)
Vice Pres - de Lille (ID) - likes to rattle things... but not 100% sure about her motives (can be trusted and effective if trained)
Finance - Manuel (ANC) - thats an obvious one... most of us agree here
Health - VACANCY - bring someone in from another country... where medical aid is cheap, if not free & decent ... This position should be "Outsourced"
Education - Pandor (ANC)- she needs more time to achieve success... but I think she needs help to get there
Home Affairs (IFP) - Buthelezi - This could be a peaceful solution to many arguments - he uses authority with fairness

============================================

These are just some that come to mind... but what about your choices?
All parties have something to offer and do have some good ministers (though few).

Humour us with your opinions - bringing some joy back into our politics.
Give an opinion of about 5 or more candidates for cabinet... whatever the positions you think would be of help with your nominee
Especially include members from parties other than your prefered party.
The idea is that with your prefered Party leader as president... who could he/she use from other parties in a power sharing government ?

Politicians should be Hired & Fired like the rest of us... nothing special and not with lifetime packages either :rolleyes:
---------------------------------------------
Jacob Zuma also has a role to play - maybe:

Arts or Defence - He likes his machine gun and singing (+ arms deal)
... just don't give him any signing powers to purchase

Correctional Services - He seems to fit in here much better... and he can watch over Mbeki and others
His deputy here can be Malema... so they can give him a "wakker klap" when outta hand (or he can protect Zuma)

Last edited:

pope24

Expert Member
President: Zille
VP: Shilowa (he did a good job with Gauteng)
Finance: Manual
Health: Hogan (especially after her comments on the Dalai Lama this week)
Education: No bloody idea, this is a poison chalice of note but I do like the idea of splitting primary/secondary and tertiary education.
Home Affairs: I would bring in someone from business, specifically with strong technology skills because that is what the department needs more than anything
Transport: Jeff Radebe (anyone the taxi operators don't like is OK with me)

Aeron

All people with the ego and savvy to be named a candidate for president should under no circumstance be allowed to be elected president. Douglas Adams knew that thirty years ago and it hasn't changed. Because every person in that position is a politician and you can never trust a politician. Not because of the "they lie" stereotype but because of the fact that they will, just like every other human, always put themselves first in the end. And you don't want someone like that with the kind of power a president has.

TonyHawk

Expert Member
President: Zille
VP: Shilowa (he did a good job with Gauteng)
Finance: Manual
Health: Hogan (especially after her comments on the Dalai Lama this week)
Education: No bloody idea, this is a poison chalice of note but I do like the idea of splitting primary/secondary and tertiary education.
Home Affairs: I would bring in someone from business, specifically with strong technology skills because that is what the department needs more than anything
Transport: Jeff Radebe (anyone the taxi operators don't like is OK with me)

Not bad choices...
Shilowa is cool and educated... maybe I should educate myself a bit on him
Hogan I liked as well... just needs a bit of the Manual vooma and authority... I know she is there early days
I totally agree with you on the Transport minister then... he has my vote... lol

TonyHawk

Expert Member
For a laf I would make Julius Malema Minister of Education.

Maybe the Minister of Health... providing he agrees to be the test dummy
or better yet the Minister of Defence... where he can stand in as target practice
at least the job will get done quicker.. lol:D

risingtide

Manuel's time is over. Some time ago his head started to swell.
Buthelezi? He was in charge of home affairs for years with abysmal results.

TonyHawk

Expert Member
Will you keep Kortbroeke in Tourism and Enviro ?

No... I will ceate a new position for him... Governor of Antartica... then he won't be here anymore and will have to change his nickname to Langbroeke

I don't think he is a person that can be trusted... too sly in my view

-toady-

Expert Member
Some great suggestions there! Not at all sure about the charming Trevor Manuel though.....hmmm.....

TonyHawk

Expert Member
Some great suggestions there! Not at all sure about the charming Trevor Manuel though.....hmmm.....

I'm sure there are plenty of businessmen who can do just as good a job, as of course they all get advice from a collective board, just as the Reserve Bank governor does...
But I don't know of any other person to step in... even from the DA
If there is such a person there... he should be making a name for himself

We definately know there is no other educated person in the ANC to take Manuel's place

-toady-

Expert Member

I figure he knows quite a bit more about the Arms Deal that he lets on ... just my opinion is all ;)

dappled

Banned
I figure he knows quite a bit more about the Arms Deal that he lets on ... just my opinion is all ;)

add to the fact that it's made pretty elementary with him being FINANCE minister all through and to date.

TonyHawk

Expert Member
add to the fact that it's made pretty elementary with him being FINANCE minister all through and to date.

Just goes to show... the whole cabinet must have known about it... :eek:
Just a question though... was FW de Klerk and NNP already out of the multi Party government when the arms deal was started... ?
... Buthelezi was still there... did he know about the corruption... :confused:

dappled

Banned
Received this for Christmas... but haven't had the constitution to stomach it yet. TonyHawk I'm sure many such questions as yours are answered in this book.

TonyHawk

Expert Member
Received this for Christmas... but haven't had the constitution to stomach it yet. TonyHawk I'm sure many such questions as yours are answered in this book.

Thanx... should be an interesting read... but simular to you... too much ANC for me to read... I know I should but I'll wait for the 'movie' :D
But again.. thanx for the tip... if I come across it... I will glance a few pages :)

Alan

Honorary Master
*sigh*

Those selections are dire. What we need is the MyBB cabinet to sort this country out

Supreme glorious leader of the republic - Me
Deputy glorious leader of the republic - Syndyre
Communications - RPM
Foreign Affairs - PeterCH
Health - Timgaul
Transport - Bluecollar
Safety and security - Marine1
Defence - Blueghost
Tourism - Bwana
Education - Picard
Finance - DJK
Public Enterprise - Eitai
Home Affairs - IC
Science - W1z4rd
Correctional services - Chris
Justice - Henry
Sport - Nivek
Presidency - Alf101

Now that is a quality cabinet

Mila

Honorary Master
I would like Mr Brandson. He knows all about running a company and i think a goverment should be run like one.