If you are browsing on a wifi, is it possible for someone from the Wi-Fi side to have access to what you are browsing?

Darynv

Yes, I have the "new" one connected to a laptop and will keep "fiddling until I understand its configuration. BUT, it is currently not connected to the Internet or my local LAN. My point is, security is totally dependent on configuration, and it is the service providers AND their suppliers that are ultimately responsible for security failures, and, mostly, that is because they all work on the LCD principle, keeping consumers in the dark and feeding them BS.
Sometimes you have to save the users from themselves. Users fiddling where they should not is sometimes more of a headache than just trying to ensure that the system works for 90% of the requirements unless those that are fiddling KNOW what they are doing, a little bit of knowledge is often more dangerous than intimate knowledge

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Sometimes you have to save the users from themselves. Users fiddling where they should not is sometimes more of a headache than just trying to ensure that the system works for 90% of the requirements unless those that are fiddling KNOW what they are doing, a little bit of knowledge is often more dangerous than intimate knowledge
Oh, I agree with that BUT, when a competent user approaches the service provider AND the suplier, don't tell him the user manual or even a generic configuration manual is not available! They are insulting the intelligence of their high-level users.
And then, IF you want to take that stance THEN ensure that the so-called "quick-setup" is properly done. I have sufficient knowledge about the subject to see just how poor the "quick" set-up configuration is, hence why I wanted more detail.

The whole deployment strategy of SPs and their suppliers is just pathetic.

Shaun108

Executive Member
You're all good - but public wifi is dangerous so stick to your own connection. Your own router doesn't come pre-configured to log extensively in regard to websites visited. If you're concerned, route all your traffic through the tor network in future.

Beware though that it might raise a red flag at some organisational levels if too much tor or vpn traffic is seen leaving/entering your connection. If you aren't involved in money laundering, drugs, murder for sale, escrow services and such then there's not much cause for concern.

Darynv

Oh, I agree with that BUT, when a competent user approaches the service provider AND the suplier, don't tell him the user manual or even a generic configuration manual is not available! They are insulting the intelligence of their high-level users.
And then, IF you want to take that stance THEN ensure that the so-called "quick-setup" is properly done. I have sufficient knowledge about the subject to see just how poor the "quick" set-up configuration is, hence why I wanted more detail.

Which model D-Link have you been provided? I see VodaScum have also adopted this policy of changing the router passwords to restrict user flexibility, keeps them employed

SeRpEnT

Expert Member

Just remember that the Fiber ISPs are signing up thousands of customers monthly and don't have the time or resources to trouble shoot customers messing around/fiddling with their routers and getting things wrong. The average Fiber user out there knows squat about these things and should not be encouraged to fiddle around. I can totally understand where the ISP's are coming from. But yes, you are entitled to the manual and getting some advanced options of the router enabled, so why not ask away on the biggest IT forum in the country? That's why this forum is here for after all. I'm sure there are enough okes on here who can assist you.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Oh yes, there are. The thread started with a query about security. Some of the suggestions offered were to improve configuration. I am saying the "quick setup" configs implemented by these lazy ISPs AND their suppliers are to blame!
And the cause is the supplier who does not provide the info needed, neither to the ISP nor to the end-user.
If you are in the business of being a Telco then ACCEPT the workload. What the hell has the volumes of users being connected got to do with anything? THAT is the cost of doing business!

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
How about posting something really useful instead of a bunch of stupid videos?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Even if its his own wi-fi, his ISP can see everything without him using a VPN.

system32

Expert Member
Even if its his own wi-fi, his ISP can see everything without him using a VPN.
The VPN provider can also see what's going on.

Use https, use DoH, use 1.1.1.1 Warp+, use FireFox or Brave, use tor.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Including information copied from this thread: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/ddos-my-router-was-hacked-i-am-a-afrihost-client.1053589/#post-24346581:

I am not a technical person, I just read up on the internet how to secure a router, which is very important to prevent people accessing any of your wireless communications, or using your data, even if they are at home. Some of the websites I found useful are: Norton;
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0013-securing-your-wireless-network;
https://www.lifewire.com/wireless-router-security-features-you-should-turn-on-right-now-2487665.

From what I understand, the most important first 3 steps to do are:
(1). Change the default password you get with the router to a strong random password about 12 characters long (if you need to, do an internet search for random passwords to get some suggestions). (2) Change the SSID (router) name that came with the router, to a random name that does not identify you and does not identify any address where you live or work. (3) Your router should ecncrypt traffic through it, which will prevent anyone understanding the information. Check what data encryption your router offers, choose the strongest, and ensure it is turned on (WPA-2 or the latest is WPA-3). On top of WAP-2, the router should have AES or PSK or both. If your router only has WPA or WEP as security options, buy a new router.

There are additional steps, eg VPN, turn off permissions for remote access, turn off guest access when not needed, activate the firewall if the router has one, etc.
Minor correction.

AES is a type of PSK system. You were referring to TKIP vs AES.

When given the choice choose AES and only AES. It’s a better encryption and also performs better with less overhead.

argh

Minor correction.

AES is a type of PSK system. You were referring to TKIP vs AES.

When given the choice choose AES and only AES. It’s a better encryption and also performs better with less overhead.
Thanks for the correction. It is good to have the correct details.

Magnum

Expert Member
So without your phone or phone number, can they see what is being searched using their wifi if they wanted to? How much effort would it require?
Yes they can see what you are viewing. Mybb (JAN) did a instructional about this if I remember correctly.