If you don’t have letters and numbers in your password, you are an idiot

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Trouble with that is it's not based on dictionary attacks - it's brute force only if I'm not mistaken.

e.g. it says this for the password 'Mailcreated5240'

LAeDGAd.png

...yet it's in one of the common password lists available in the wild... so realistically, using a wordlist, it will take a few minutes to crack in the case of an encrypted file. For web services, there are far easier tools to use like phishing and keyloggers - brute forcing any reputable web page should just plain not work.

28 days

Sig_sys_7

I see conning dumb people to paste their passwords into collectors is still a thing.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Seems nobody can even agree on simple things like what to use for an un-guessable bloody password.

Sig_sys_7

Seems nobody can even agree on simple things like what to use for an un-guessable bloody password.

Stop listening to the unwashed masses.
There is reputable information out there and it doesn't come in the form of a mybb article calling people idiots.

Swa

Honorary Master
We can. Even the people saying length>complexity end up adding complexity to make it secure, so that is your answer.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
what about this:

Ρassword

where "P" is a unicode character and not ascii. i would assume that dictionary attacks used ascii files only as they are the most commonly used characters. if they had to account for all the variations of characters, their dictionary files would be considerably longer.

according to kaspersky (https://password.kaspersky.com/), the difference between using rho and P is roughly 13 days of bruteforcing on a home pc.

now if only i could figure out how to type that rho...