If you get hacked, it's your own fault

Thor

Honorary Master
Yes, I can. The banks MUST provide 2-factor authentication an email is not a security measure, do you expect the man on the street to sit with 20 inboxes, don't be dumb.

However, if you used the same email address and password for MyFitnessPal as you do for your banking app, you can’t blame the bank when attackers pilfer your account using those leaked credentials.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Yeah Rudi, colour me not impressed with your bollocks...

Barring the phishing stuff, where I 100% agree on it being the users fault.

Database breaches and Malware (which can be ridiculously sophisticated these days) are not the damn users fault at all.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I have to disagree, yes, companies work hard to protect your data, but it is due to it being a legal, social and moral responsibility. The EU is strong on protecting the online user.

The problem is the transparency when they are vulnerable, when they indeed know, and known exploits are in the wild.

They only open up when the breach is known and many like to target the white hat exposing them. The onus is on them.

Urist

Expert Member
No, the criminals doing it are to blame. Nothing is 100% secure.
Your personal information is all over the world, it's impossible to cover all the wickets.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Yeah no, I dont agree.

It's like saying it is your fault being killed when hi jacked for driving a fancy car.
It's like saying it is your fault for being raped for wearing a thong.

The people breaking into the systems are the problem

Bonk

Mr Dicks being a proper....here. My inbox gets spammed endlessly due to a LinkedIn breach a few years back. Companies don't do nearly enough to protect our data and personal information from hackers.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
So it is my fault is a Service Provider I use gets their email database hacked...wat

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Lol, yeah how about No, Rudi

My data has been breached a couple of times according to haveIbeenpwned and all of them are from company data breaches, none of them have been my fault. So as much as you say that companies are trying their hardest to keep our data "safe", some companies are doing a piss poor effort at it.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Use a physical two-factor key like the Yubikey 5 and a password manager. Don't reuse any of your passwords.

Don't install apps on any platform that aren't from trusted developers. If a quality paid app exists for something you need, don't be cheap and use a dodgy free alternative (unless it's a well-known quality open source app).

Yes, I can. The banks MUST provide 2-factor authentication an email is not a security measure, do you expect the man on the street to sit with 20 inboxes, don't be dumb.

The problem isn't reusing the same email address, it's reusing any particular password. Password managers have been around for years now - there is no excuse to not use one at this point.

That said, I agree with the general sentiment in this thread that we can't exclusively blame victims for being negligent with their security. Criminals are still criminals.

Swa

Honorary Master
Err no. Anything of value it's usually an inside job. How do criminals get to perform a sim swop and nobody knows?