• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

If you have not submitted your tax return, SARS could prosecute you

Excalibur

Expert Member
The SA Revenue Service has partnered with the NPA to ensure that taxpayers found guilty end up with criminal records

The South African Revenue Service (SARS) issued a media release on Monday threatening to prosecute taxpayers who have failed to submit tax returns.

SARS has announced a partnership with the National Prosecuting Authority that will result in taxpayers who are found guilty ending up with criminal records. So far, 36 dockets have been handed over to the NPA.

The initiative resulted in its first conviction in Port Shepstone last week, when a company’s representative was ordered to submit all outstanding returns.

"Failure to submit a tax or VAT return is a criminal offence in terms of the Tax Administration Act and value-added tax legislation," SARS said.

At the end of March 2018, SARS estimated that active taxpayers owed SARS about 30-million returns.
Link.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
ensure that taxpayers found guilty end up with criminal records
Jirre. That's quite an intense PR message.

I guess the revenue shortfall is a lot bigger than anticipated if they're feeling the need to roll out the big guns immediately

signates

Expert Member
They went out of their way in marketing that you don't have to submit a tax return if your income is below a certain amount without highlighting all the caveats. They turned around and slapped on penalties for those who ended up not submitting tax returns. I've ended up disputing and successfully having applied for remission of these penalties for more than a few R100k.

Having taxpayers with criminal records and potentially unemployed is only going to cost them more in reduced tax revenue.

Excalibur

Expert Member
Jirre. That's quite an intense PR message.

I guess the revenue shortfall is a lot bigger than anticipated if they're feeling the need to roll out the big guns immediately
Yes, the Zuma regime and Moyane's control at SARS saw astronomical losses in gov revenue. This is why we've had things like VAT increases and whole lot of other tax increases.

sox63

Executive Member
eFiling? I don't know
It’s so easy submitting a return, I have no idea why people just don’t do it, unless they have something to hide.

Only annoyance I have with SARS is being audited 3 years in a row. Hoping this year I don’t and I just get my refund

ForceFate

Executive Member
Tells me I must go to a branch and after 30 days my profile will be deleted if I don't so no.
The queues are as a result of people opting to go to a contact centre for filing of returns. My local branch has over 18 agents working at any time, but the queues just grow longer and longer.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Yes, the Zuma regime and Moyane's control at SARS saw astronomical losses in gov revenue. This is why we've had things like VAT increases and whole lot of other tax increases.
Sure sounded like it @ that keepers book. Hard to tell from the outside I guess

It’s so easy submitting a return, I have no idea why people just don’t do it, unless they have something to hide.
Took me over an hour to get that sht just to load right last time I had to do it. It's quite fussy on what browsers display certain reports. Ended up installing firefox and opera too

access

Executive Member
The queues are as a result of people opting to go to a contact centre for filing of returns. My local branch has over 18 agents working at any time, but the queues just grow longer and longer.
could just be an increase of cases like backstreetboy..

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
This is insane. Criminal record for not submitting tax return?!

Also, wait for the revolt once you remove the medical aid rebate for your bound-to-be-shambolic health fund - I will submit my return on the last possible date, and I hope others do the same.

Mila

Honorary Master
oh they prosecute people for imaginary debt as well, so what the F is different?
I thought part of this fantastic new rainbow nation was that you can not get a criminal record for money owed. Nice being back in the
"good" old days

Mila

Honorary Master
I found that my accountant didn't submit the return. So who is going to blame?
You, you are ultimately responsible.
I had a situation ( Just started working at a company for more than the lowest amount that is not PAYE) So you trust them to do their thing? Nope they **** up and it is your problem.