If you want to stop pizza SMS adverts, you will have to pay

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Easy solution!
1) Require opt in for ads - maybe mobile operators can reduce your monthlies if you do opt in for ads, since they collect revenue for the ads.
or
2) Have reverse billing for responses to these numbers. The ad agencies pay for all SMS' sent from numbers they spam in response to their ads, provided the response is within 7 hours.

Both are doable. We used to do a variation of 2 on a project we worked on previously.

ekske1

Executive Member
0) black listed phrases, word or letter combinations?

system32

Expert Member
I use SMS Manager Pro.
Create a rule on keywords that puts the SMS in spam folder.

ekske1

Executive Member
...just go "pizza" "romans"

Although one might need to add "larges" as well.

kseHAkO.png

Petec

Expert Member
Reverse-billing, and auto-assume-opt-out on lists, if no response has been received.
There are some decent companies that do this, but the scum majority do not.

Prob is, most don't want to squeeze the 150 char limit with "Rely STOP - for free - to opt out, OR simply do not reply and we will remove you from our contact list."

recre8

Something that annoys me: Edgars spams me with SMS ads, so I opted out previously, and then stopped receiving my monthly e-mailed statement. Upon questioning this, I was told that I opted out of all electronic communication. So it's either getting e-mailed statements together with SMS spam, or neither. I had to opt in again to get my statements.

Pythonista

Why would I tell the world who I am? Just put random numbers into Truecaller online to see who owns it. Nah thanks.

Um - You only need ONE person who has you as a contact who uses TrueCalledID, and they know you ... so by you not using it, you do not gain any form of anonymity.

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
Um - You only need ONE person who has you as a contact who uses TrueCalledID, and they know you ... so by you not using it, you do not gain any form of anonymity.

This. I was also against the whole truecaller thing, then it dawned on me that anyone else using it, will also cause me to appear. If you can't beat them, join them.

Little Mac

Honorary Master

Nope. I'm Joe Soap/John Doe/Piet Snot on Truecaller. Ditto for my wife. My daughter has both our numbers and truecaller. I installed, set up my name in the app and uninstalled. We show up as Joe Soap / Jane Doe / John Doe / Piet Snot when we call her.
Also, Truecaller labels important calls from my bank as spam. I get a call at least once a month to say incoming forex is en route... Truecaller reports it as spam.

Last edited:

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Why would I tell the world who I am? Just put random numbers into Truecaller online to see who owns it. Nah thanks.
I'm sure the world already do with all the leaks that happened lately. Not that I care anyway got spam calls daily for Canadian immigration and Truecaller blocked it beautyfully.

Also, Truecaller labels important calls from my bank as spam. I get a call at least once a month to say incoming forex is en route... Truecaller reports it as spam.
Just mark the number as legit and then it'll save it to your whitelist...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
While truecaller does work, I found that its very intrusive. It basically takes over your entire phone look & feel, and it forces more ads on you if you have the free version.

Beauty of Android and vpn adblock.

Last edited: