Ignore List

DreamKing

Executive Member
Can you add the ignore list's functions as follow?

1) I can select the person(s) in my ignore list who can't read my posts. (very important)
2) I can select the person(s) in my ignore list I can read their posts. (not that important)
3) or both

thank you.

saor

Honorary Master
Can you add the ignore list's functions as follow?

1) I can select the person(s) in my ignore list who can't read my posts. (very important)
2) I can select the person(s) in my ignore list I can read their posts. (not that important)
3) or both

thank you.
No.

You ignore someone so you don't have to read their posts.
You don't get to decide who sees your posts or not.

Why would you even care that someone you're ignoring sees your posts?

DreamKing

Executive Member
No.

You ignore someone so you don't have to read their posts.
You don't get to decide who sees your posts or not.
I ban a person in fb, that person can't read my post, not I can't read his post.
I use the function to punish him, not me. right?

saor

Honorary Master
I ban a person in fb, that person can't read my post, not I can't read his post.
I use the function to punish him, not me. right?
Yeah, this isn't facebook.

If someone decides to ignore me and prevents me from seeing their messages, it's gonna annoy the crap outta me to be reading threads and all of a sudden their posts are blocked. Ignore people if you want & get on with your life instead of trying to 'punish them' like it's high school or something.

DreamKing

Executive Member
Yeah, this isn't facebook.

If someone decides to ignore me and prevents me from seeing their messages, it's gonna annoy the crap outta me to be reading threads and all of a sudden their posts are blocked. Ignore people if you want & get on with your life instead of trying to 'punish them' like it's high school or something.
that is why you should behave yourself, no one will just ban you without a reason. right?
the person who is harassing you with no consequence? how that can be?

saor

Honorary Master
that is why you should behave yourself, no one will just ban you without a reason. right?
What if I'm a dick who provides lots of tech advice and I ignore you just for lols. Gonna irritate you when you're looking for tech advice aint it?
the person who is harassing you with no consequence? how that can be?
You ignore them and get on with your life.

theratman

Executive Member
What if I'm a dick who provides lots of tech advice and I ignore you just for lols. Gonna irritate you when you're looking for tech advice aint it?

I unignored my only ignore from years ago, the member in question has changed their ways or just matured. Not worth ignoring imo, I just read past members I don't like these days.

DreamKing

Executive Member
why you have to do that to anyone who didn't do anything to you? your argument didn't any make sense.

saor

Honorary Master
why you have to do that to anyone who didn't do anything to you? your argument didn't any make sense.
Dude...maybe like right now I'm getting irritated by your questions and I decide to block you. Now you're not getting my answers to tech threads. You think the internet needs to make sense?

This is all beside the point.
This is the internet, not high school.

If something pisses you off then change how you respond to it instead of trying to punish those who do it to you.

DreamKing

Executive Member
Dude...maybe like right now I'm getting irritated by your questions and I decide to block you. Now you're not getting my answers to tech threads. You think the internet needs to make sense?

This is all beside the point.
This is the internet, not high school.
If something pisses you off then change how you respond to it instead of trying to punish those who do it to you.
sure, that is how I got punish from you. that makes perfect sense. what' s wrong?

so if I want to read anything you posted, then I shouldn't irritate you, then I will behave. it makes perfect sense also.

saor

Honorary Master
sure, that is how I got punish from you. that makes perfect sense. what' s wrong?
Because it's not my job to punish people who irritate me.
It's my job to engage them differently or ignore them.

saor

Honorary Master
To beat a dead horse:

Nobody should have the power to determine what content other members have access to. Sometimes in conversation you screw up and say something stupid, but I shouldn't have to pay a price for such inevitable stupidity. If I accidentally annoy someone who's posts I find useful, should I be prevented from seeing their posts? That's stupid. And it's stupid because now someone else has control over my forum experience and the content I have access to & their rules are entirely arbitrary. I don't have time for drama like that.

DreamKing

Executive Member
To beat a dead horse:

Nobody should have the power to determine what content other members have access to. Sometimes in conversation you screw up and say something stupid, but I shouldn't have to pay a price for such inevitable stupidity. If I accidentally annoy someone who's posts I find useful, should I be prevented from seeing their posts? That's stupid. And it's stupid because now someone else has control over my forum experience and the content I have access to & their rules are entirely arbitrary. I don't have time for drama like that.
as what you said, you should scrap the ignore list also.

DreamKing

Executive Member
It is not your role to "punish" people who get under your skin DK. Unless they contravene forum rules there's nothing you can do aside from ignoring them and pretending they don't exist.
why that is not my role? the guy irritates me a lot, he should be banned from me. he doesn't want to talk to me, why he has the right to read my post? I just don't understand.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
It is going to cause overhead on the forum software to do that I guess. However, censorship like that is bound to cause issues. I would love nothing more than ToxicBunny not being able to read a thing I post here, but I've learnt that putting he/she/it on ignore is the best I can do and it works. I don't have to see his snarky personal attacks and it appears others also don't see it or care :)