Illegal electricity connections costing billions every year

Illegal electricity chaos in South Africa

The surge in illegal electricity connections in South Africa over the past few years has at least one major municipality pleading for the deployment of soldiers and warning about the potential collapse of its electricity distribution infrastructure.

The country's three biggest metropolitan municipalities — the City of Cape Town, City of Joburg, City of Tshwane — have all recently bemoaned the severity of the issue.

And nothing will be done to upset the electorate...

Drop the neutral on these 3 phase substations where illegal connections are made and in an instant the 220v becomes 380v
That'll teach the EFF and MK bastards right.

Drop the neutral on these 3 phase substations where illegal connections are made and in an instant the 220v becomes 380v
That'll teach the EFF and MK bastards right.
The problem is there are okes like you and me on that substation also.

True - meng jou met die semels, dan vreet die varke jou. Is very valid.
but we are a typical industrial/business complex that the workers go and build their shacks in the bush behind us instead of renting a place like a normal person. Find a mall or something, there will be a squatter camp close by that springs up after the mall opens.

but we are a typical industrial/business complex that the workers go and build their shacks in the bush behind us instead of renting a place like a normal person. Find a mall or something, there will be a squatter camp close by that springs up after the mall opens.

Life is about choice and consequence - you make your choices, and live with the consequences. Another life truth.

Assuming you have a source of 3 phase power on most transformers, as you disconnect the illegal connections, you connect them to a temporary bus bar, connect to the 3 phase, you don’t have wire them in phase either, should do enough damage to the consumer devices that are illegally connected.

Interesting, can you just give me a technical mental map of this would work... In detail?

As someone else said, previously, you just drop the neutral on the 3 phase sub, and it becomes 380 and not 220

Oh I see it now, its a simpler explanation, but how or rather why is there a volt increase, I skipped that chapter in the "Electricity for Dummies" book @UB40 ?

Back